Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)? - Page 10 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)?

Comments

• corrie59
    corrie59 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    October 6th , x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    corrie59 said:
    October 6th , x
    Thanks for the update, that's not too far away then.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • WilliamsJ
    WilliamsJ Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited September 2021
    Hello Everyone
    i have just joined this forum so very new to this.
    my issue relates to the shoulder post injection.
    I had my second Astra Zeneca jab at the end of May, all was fine until mid-July. Since then I’ve been experiencing pain in the arm and shoulder I had the jab in. Sometimes the pain is so severe lying in bed is unbearable. I am more than certain it relates to the injection I had. I had physio but even that hasn’t worked.
    Anyone else experienced thi?

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @WilliamsJ

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

Sorry to hear about the symptoms you experienced following your vaccine, have you reported them on the Yellow card page?

Given that you had physio I assume that you have spoken about it with your GP? Since the physio didn't work for you have you been back to them to discuss alternate options? Shoulder pain can happen following any vaccine or injection and is a common side effect, however if it persists this can be as a result of incorrect vaccine administration rather than any fault with the vaccine itself.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @WilliamsJ - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read you're suffering so much pain. We have had members who have experienced pain following Covid-19 (& flu jabs), which seem due to incorrect administration of the vaccine, as Ross has said. You can see the post where most members have discussed this here: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79550/does-anyone-have-any-experience-with-shoulder-injury-relating-to-vaccine-administration-sirva?
    It's a post that I've followed with interest, so just to say the majority of people have experienced shoulder pain very quickly, so it's possible that your shoulder pain is unrelated to possible vaccine misadministration as yours started some weeks later. Was your physio able to shed any light on the cause of your problems, or your GP?
  • WilliamsJ
    WilliamsJ Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Thank you @chiaried
    i have spoken to my GP and he didn’t seem to concerned about it, however the pain is still there. I had a couple sessions of massage which felt fine for a few hours afterwards but the relief was short lived.
    My next step is to book a consultation with BUPA as I believe there is something seriously wrong.
    The pain is also felt in my back between my shoulder blade.
  • Wredula
    Wredula Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi,

I had my 1st jab about 2 weeks ago, felt a little bit sore which I thought was normal. 2 weeks down the line I can’t lift my arm (where I had the jab) beyond a certain point and have been suffering from excruciating pains since them. From the research I have done and what I have read so far It seems to be SIRVA. Has anyone had the same experience where the pains did not start immediately after the jab. Mine started two weeks after.
    Hello Richard, I had my first AZ jab in February. By April my arm was still sore, I visited my GP practise  the DR  refused to look any further but wanted to give me the 2nd jab, which I refused. I went back in August to see a different DR who recommended an x-ray. (2 weeks ago but no reply as yet) Both Doctors admitted that they were unfamiliar with SIRVA. I thought that it might be nerve damage as I have shooting pains now which are affecting my hand and fingers. Can I ask how you are now?

• clairescott
    clairescott Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi 
    I had my first covid jab AZ  in March. 
    The lady who administered the vaccine really hurt me. 
    I came away from there thinking that my arm is going to be sore for a couple of days , a week at most.
    7 months later,  I have been in so much pain 
    With my arm / shoulder. 
    I have tried swimming, which I love . But I am unable to do this activity. 
    I eventually decided to see my GP  
    I have been prescribed Tramadol,  Naproxen. 
    I have had an x-ray,  I have been for physio. 
    Today, I have had an MRI scan .
    Now, I know 100% that my arm was fine before I had the AZ vaccination. 
     I have filled in the yellow card .
     I really dont know how long I can put up with this continuous debilitating pain .
     I just hope that they have the results back soon .

• Nissanjuke
    Nissanjuke Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Omg So sorry just seen these replies!!!! So sorry you suffering to, I suffered so much from January 12 to end of August , pain was unbearable,  Frozen bottles of water help to numb the pain and I had cheap tens machine from Amazon which helped, I take Amitryplin and Strong codeine at night which really help .... From early September It has started to thaw us I had Injection into Shoulder joint on 15th September but pain was easing before that  , I still have lack of mobility as I can't lift my arm, Physio game me exercises to do then stopped them and said at this point joint to restricted... Strange I'm starting to get odd pain in opposite shoulder, maybe refered pain .... Biofreeze from Amazon really helped to ... I had tears daily from 12th Jan following my Vaccination on 11th January to Early September,  I recall going away and I never took my spray and tens as I believe I'm no in thawing process,  7 half month of agony ???
  • tomnewman07
    tomnewman07 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, 

Does anyone know if SIRVA comes under the governments compensation for vaccines scheme as my mum’s arm has pretty much lost complete movement, she’s in significant pain and it has been diagnosed as SIRVA? 

Thanks 
  • tomnewman07
    edited October 2021
    Hi All, 

Does anyone know if SIRVA as a result of a covid jab entitles you to the government compensation scheme. My mums lost pretty much all movement in her arm, can’t work, drive etc and is in excruciating pain all the time? Any help would be great 

thanks 
  • ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Community member Posts: 186 Courageous
    Hi All, 

Does anyone know if SIRVA as a result of a covid jab entitles you to the government compensation scheme. My mums lost pretty much all movement in her arm, can’t work, drive etc and is in excruciating pain all the time? Any help would be great 

thanks 
    says it's limited. have you asked? has the jab affected her ability to move it?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • tomnewman07
    Hi All, 

thanks 
    Really affected ability to move it, can’t raise her arm much more than 20/30% if raising it above your head is 100% 
  • ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Community member Posts: 186 Courageous
    Hi All, 

thanks 
    Really affected ability to move it, can’t raise her arm much more than 20/30% if raising it above your head is 100% 
    sugar that's bad. did you tell the NHS?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • tomnewman07
    Hi All, 

thanks 
    sugar that's bad. did you tell the NHS?
    Yeah been to doctor and physio had all the scans etc and it’s all pointed to and been diagnosed as SIRVA - on the government website it says the disability as a result of the jab has to be 60%… however do you measure the percentage of a disability caused ?
  • DaniA
    DaniA Community member Posts: 0 Listener
    I have just read some posts on SIRVA- Shoulder injury related to vaccine administration.
    I am one of those unlucky people who still suffer three months later. Is there anyone else out there who could link with me please?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DaniA - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry you're still in pain following incorrect administration of the vaccine. I don't know if the following long post discussing SIRVA was one of the ones you've already read, but posting 'just in case': https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79550/does-anyone-have-any-experience-with-shoulder-injury-relating-to-vaccine-administration-sirva/p1
    Other people get in touch if they feel they share your experience, or have something to add. I hope you can connect with others going through this. :)
  • ValH
    ValH Community member Posts: 0 Listener
    edited October 2021
    I have pain in my upper arm since the second Covid 19 jab on April 21st this year.  It was more painful at the time and has never gone away.  I have difficulty rotating my arm and things like bra fastening are very painful.  I go to the gym and do yoga and pilates so I push myself.  The pain varies from a niggling tearing pain to a low mild ache.  So far, paracetamol, ibroprufen and fenbid 10% don't seem to work.  Some nights it wakes me up just aching and I have to move my arm to try and get comfortable.  I could put up with it if I knew it would go away but if it is bursa damage, does that heal and go away by itself?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ValH

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear your arm sounds really painful  :( Unfortunately, we do not provide medical advice here on Scope's forum. I would advise you to communicate with your GP if you are concerned. I hope you feel better soon! 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @valh :) I'm sorry that you've been experiencing some pain. As L_Volunteer has said, we can't give medical advice here on the forum, but I do appreciate you're looking for other's with personal experience. 

According to the NHS page on bursitis (which I believe is what you're referring to?), it can go away on it's own. If it doesn't you should speak to your GP, as there are other treatment options available.

To help bring down swelling and pain you can:
    • rest – try not to move the joint too much and avoid activities that put pressure on it
    • use ice – gently hold an ice pack (or a bag of frozen peas) wrapped in a tea towel on the area for around 10 minutes at a time and repeat every few hours during the day
    It may also help to put extra cushions around the affected joint while you sleep, to help protect and support it.
    Treatments for bursitis
    • antibiotics – usually taken for 7 days if bursitis is caused by an infection
    • steroid injection may be given into the affected joint to reduce the swelling – this will not be done if bursitis is caused by an infection
    • if bursitis is severe or keeps coming back, the inflamed bursa may need to be surgically drained or even removed (but this is rare)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness