New reaction button suggestions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New reaction button suggestions

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
There's been a lot of discussion over the years about renaming some of the 'reaction' buttons we use on the community. 

If you want to react to a post at the moment, you have three options: 'Insightful', 'Like', and 'Awesome'.

If you could start from scratch, what reactions would you like to have available to you?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    1. Agree

2. Thanks

3. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Your third response made me wish there was a laughing reaction @Cress.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,604 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If there was a negative reaction I would personally stop posting as much. I’m fine with someone disagreeing and explaining why but I don’t like people being able to judge what I have to say without explanation.

I don’t think people should be discouraged from posting what they really think, as long as it’s not offensive. The posts I personally enjoy reading the most are the ones that ruffle a few feathers. It’s easy to get likes on the internet…you just post what people want to hear…it is the posts that break that temptation that are often most interesting or helpful and we don’t want to lose those.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks
    helpful

To be honest I'd stick at two

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Personally I’d rather not have any. That way people can just interact by discussion. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks and i dont' think there needs to be anything else.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks would be nice I agree

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would ask what value these buttons add to the community? I'm somewhere between Mark & Mike.
    I use the 'Like' button to encourage new members, & I see none of us so far have commented on the 'Awesome' button, which just seems to be an '& I like your post even more' option.
    I do appreciate if a member I know, or a member of the Scope team, 'likes' one of my posts, as this gives some validation that I've hopefully been helpful/they agree, & such 'likes' matter to me considerably more than a new member doing so.
    Personally, not too keen on the idea of a 'thanks' button, as it means more to me if someone says, 'Thank you, that advice/information was helpful,' & they may then also ask subsequent questions, or enter into further dialogue; an opportunity I feel shouldn't be missed.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Like and helpful 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I must admit i'm in favour of a "thanks" button as i've seen it used to good effect on a number of forums over the years.

It can be used in two ways, one by the person who started the thread/asked the question as a way of thanking those who take the time to answer/give advice, or by others who might think yes thats what I would have said and i'm thanking them for saving me the time repeating advice already given.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    1 thanks 

2 helpful

3 unhelpful

I think that's what is needed doesn't seem so rude to have a unhelpful button if the information didn't help 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I don’t think a unhelpful button is a one that should be implemented. 
  • Cress
    Options

Nah, me neither...
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When one piece of information doesn't help one person, it might help the next. I can't see any advantages of having an 'unhelpful' button.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Cress
    Options

A like button or some sort of button to show appreciation is I think beneficial.
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Flag, Quote, Like and Thanks

You can't click multiple reactions so it would make sense to have 1 or 2 rather than 3 or more.
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Many ways people would benefit by using a thanks button:

Some people struggle to say thanks to someone (for various reasons, and I have in the past) so a thanks button could help people feel more comfortable in letting the other member know they are thankful.

If people click the thanks button and still want to reply with a thanks, and their internet suddenly goes off or they have to rush off, then they would feel better knowing the member had been thanked in one way.

It's an option and people like options. 
  • Cress
    Options

I don't think of it as being beneficial to mine or anyone else's mental health....its just a pleasantry, no more no less.

Although I think it should be thanks.

• Cress
    Options
    @Ami2301

I agree, sometimes you're not up to engaging and a thanks button is at least something.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unhelpful button? Why? That would be terrible. There are members of the community that spend a lot of their time advising and supporting others. Although we don't always agree with someone's opinion having a unhelpful button is wrong in so many ways!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness