Hi, my name is Ookpik! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Ookpik!

Options
Ookpik
Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
Hi,
   l am a 67-year-old married man with a mental disorder that makes my life hard to cope with. My hobbies are , painting, making miniatures, and gardening, and taking care of nature and the wildlife habitat. l am a strong believer in  , if we care for nature, then nature will care for us. 
l am also vegan, l been vegan now for about 7 years, and never looked back. l don't smoke, nor do l drink, apart from natural juices with no artificial ingredients. Well!, l can't think of anything else to say. Apart from my severe disorder l have . But, l will most probably mention that some time in the future. 
Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Ookpik

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Thank you for your warm introduction. How are you today? As it seems your mental disorder is important to you, I would like to point out that the Scope forum has a discussion section dedicated to talking about everything related to mental health and wellbeing. If you are interested, you can find it at https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/mental-health-issues. I hope this helps and I will look forward to hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Ookpik and welcome to the community :) 

Thank you for introducing us to yourself, it's lovely to hear a bit about the sorts of things you are passionate about. 

Regarding your mental health condition, do you receive support from your GP to manage that? Are they aware of how it impacts you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ookpik
    Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. l am getting all the help l need from 3 doctors. Neurologists and the GP etc. l had this disorder for 50 years now, and it just got worse. l found out this disorder is genetic, on my father's side. But l just to accept it and just live with it. There is a mention of brain surgery, and l am seriously thinking about this one. 
    Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community from me too 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Ookpik said:
    Thank you for the comments. l am getting all the help l need from 3 doctors. Neurologists and the GP etc. l had this disorder for 50 years now, and it just got worse. l found out this disorder is genetic, on my father's side. But l just to accept it and just live with it. There is a mention of brain surgery, and l am seriously thinking about this one. 

Hello @Ookpik :) 

I'm glad to hear that you're currently getting support from your medical team. That will make a lot of difference to your treatment and how confident you will feel moving forward. 

I can imagine it was initially hard to accept, and I think with any disorder or change in lifestyle, these things can take a while to adapt to. It seems like you're doing well though and managing your health through creativity and nature. I also love being in nature and understand how healing it can be. 

I hope whatever route you decide to take with treatment, that it feels right for you :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community from me too @Ookpik :) How are you doing today?

As you're into painting and making miniatures, I thought you might be interested in our KaleidoScope thread. This is where members can share any creative projects they've been working on, and see what other members have been making. 

Do you have any good vegan recipes to share? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Ookpik - & welcome to this friendly community from me too. I also have a genetic disorder & am a keen gardener. Altho my garden is small, I really enjoy just being outside. I grow both vegetables & flowers, several of the latter being edible. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.  :)

Brightness