The Book Nook — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Book Nook

Options
CountryMimi
CountryMimi Scope Member Posts: 152 Pioneering
I don't know about anyone else, but reading really helps me to escape for a bit and enter someone else's world.

I personally absolutely love Young Adult & Chic Lit

I finished The Switch last week - my first time reading Beth O'Leary, but this was after listening to the audio book of The Flatshare on BBC sounds and I absolutely loved her work, so much so that I bought another of her books, The No Show which I'm intending on reading on my holiday as well as The Visa by Lizzie O'Hagan (I was able to get 3 books for £6 from The Works) 

I also really enjoy Estelle Maskame, she's only released YA books so far, but is currently writing her first Romance novel ☺️

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @CountryMimi it's good you've found something to escape with. Reading certainly does that. Those books look interesting. Enjoy your holidays also. 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,835 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @CountryMimi I read a lot and it helps take my mind off my illness. It is my escape route. I am glad you also enjoy reading. Do you prefer an actual book or do you sometimes use Kindle? I prefer a book myself. Take care.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @CountryMimi

I love to read, also love a 3 for £6 offer at The Works! I haven't read anything by Beth O'Leary yet, I have The Flatshare somewhere in my TBR pile :D What did you think of The Switch? 

I've just finished reading Death of a Book Seller by Alice Slater and about to start Happy Place by Emily Henry. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    @Sandy_123 it really does! Thank you!

@Beaver79 aww I'm so glad it helps! That's great to hear! What do you enjoy reading? Ooo I'd say I'm a flitter really, in the sense that I like both! Once I got into kindle - though this was more on my phone, I preferred that, but I like being able to browse physical copies and the best thing about a book is when you're reading outside in the sun, there's not the glare like I get on my phone screen, so there's that!

@Hannah_Scope it's great isn't it! Oh you've got to give it a read! Have you seen the TV adaptation of the flatshare? I honestly couldn't get enough of The Switch, it was funny, it was relatable. There was a relationship brewing between one of the main characters and another character and I'd have loved to have read more. For me it was a gripper!

I'll have to look into those! What are your thoughts on Death of a Book Seller?

If anyone fancies joining me, I'm gonna write a list of my 2023 reads and tbrs
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    Current Reads:
    Fragments of the Lost - Megan Miranda

TBR:
    The No Show - Beth O'Leary
    The Visa - Lizzie O'Hagan

Finished:
    The Switch - Beth O'Leary
    Becoming Mila - Estelle Maskame

Wish List:
    Falling Hard for the Royal Guard - Megan Clawson
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @countrymimi Will definitely bump it up the TBR list. It's honestly so long now because I keep going onto The Works website  :D 

I haven't seen the TV adaptation because I'd like to read the book first. But will definitely watch afterwards. Ooo I like when there is that brewing that leaves you with more questions, ok ok, I'll go into the works and buy it, no need to convince me anymore 😂

I really liked Death of a Book Seller up until the ending. The ending actually has a final chapter and then two epilogues, one from one character and one from another. The ending to the book was just 'meh' for me but the epilogues gave more suspense to what could happen next and if there could there be a sequel? 

Currently Reading: Happy Place by Emily Henry

TBR List: Mine is honestly so long, I have about 3 to 4 boxes worth of books 😬 But from my last haul (bought and gifted) I have:
    - Fairytale by Stephen King
    - The Second Sight of Zachary Cloudesley by Sean Lusk
    - The Photographer of The Lost by Caroline Scott
    - Messy, Wonderful Us by Catherine Issac
    - Life Ruins by Danuta Kot
    - The House Across The Street by Lesley Pearse
    - Falling Hard for the Royal Guard by Megan Clawson
    - The Embroidered Book by Kate Heartfield
    - Charlie, Love and Clichés by Ella Maise
    - Things We Hide From The Light by Lucy Score
    - Things We Never Got Over by Lucy Score.

Finished: Recently finished Death of a Book Seller by Alice Slater.
    Before that I read I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy and The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles. Both I highly recommend! 

Wishlist: It's so long 😂 I will say The Bridgerton Series is on the list and Millie Bobby Brown has a book out later in the year called Nineteen Steps that has piqued my interest. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope

Hahaha hey, the more books you've got, the more adventures you have!

Yes, I completely relate! I feel like I would like to read the book properly before watching the show as listening to the audio book, half the time I was asleep and missed chunks of it.

It makes you crave the sequel if there's something brewing doesn't it!

Some great books on there. When you get to reading Falling Hard for the Royal Guard, let me know, we could read it together!

Ooo re Jennette McCurdy, did you watch iCarly by any chance? Also, I feel like The Paris Library is a book I came across today at a free little library. Is it about a lady who sells books on a barge? 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @CountryMimi
    the more books you've got, the more adventures you have!
    I love that! Will be using that when my friends say, really? more books? 😂

I sometimes read the book and listen to the audiobook as I go along :) especially when I have been busy or feel tired. It does! and sometimes you wish for a sequel and then other times you want to be left to your own imagination. 

Yeah! I will do :) have you managed to pick it up yet? I know The Works had it as their book of the week the other week so they have not long restocked. 

I did, she was around the same age as me, so it was very eye opening reading her life story. It's always hard to say about a biography "I enjoyed it" as it's their life. But I don't know how else to put it sometimes. The Paris Library is about a young woman in France who goes to work for The American Library when not long after World War Two breaks out and the Nazi's occupy Paris. But it has two different timelines with a twist. I do highly recommend it. 
    Hannah - She / Her

• CountryMimi
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope

Hahaha! My mum said to me the other day "are you on another book spending spree again?!" yes, yes I am!

Ahhh that's a great idea!
    Yes, that is true! I feel like sometimes there can be disappointment when you read a sequel, but usually I'm won round!

No, I haven't as was on holiday til yesterday and didnt get back home until late, so stayed in and just rested today. Perhaps go out Monday as still really tired. I didn't know they had a book of the week at the works! That's ace!

Yeah, didn't she have a really rough time with her Mum? 🥺

That sounds interesting, I'll have a look into it!

I didn't end up reading the books I bought on holiday. I attempted a few times, but got distracted and we were only there Monday - Friday so wasn't all that long. Looking forward to the nice weather and sitting in the garden reading though! 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @CountryMimi

I definitely did not buy more books last night 👀😂 It's one of the best happy feelings and it could be something else! I recently saw a TikTok where someone didn't have to put their heating on as often as all their books were like extra isolation! So that's my target! haha.

The works are having their end of season sale, so new books are coming out in drips and drabs which is exciting, new books each week! Yes, they started a book of the week, I believe this / last week was Ruby Wax's new book? They had the new Emily Henry book I just finished reading on offer for £7.50 the other week! Definitely made me rethink some of my pre-orders. 

She did, her mum was...overbearing to say the least. It's a fantastic book. 

That sounds like heaven! Hope you had a great weekend reading. I got some done, but had jobs to do round the house. I did make a purchase I'd been wanting to do for a while. I have this weekend off and a hammock out for delivery 😂 I'm hoping the weather stays nice and I can have a reading weekend :) 

What did you read this past weekend? 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Wilshyboy
    Wilshyboy Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Options
    Just finished reading Deadly Fate by Angela Marsons, The latest DI Kim Stone book, brilliant.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I've not heard of those books @Wilshyboy How many are in the series? 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Wilshyboy
    Options
    Hello Hannah, The latest one was the 18th, If you decide to try them, start with First Blood, They loosely  follow on but it is best to read them in order so you can see how the characters develop, if you like crime fiction these are in my opinion, the business. Kim Stone rocks!! 
  • CountryMimi
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope did they accidentally slip in your basket 😜?!

Haha that's absolutely brilliant! To be fair, that isn't a bad idea 😂😂😂

Ooo I popped in to the Works on Sunday, but they hadn't changed anything around in their shop, but will check online.

Oh that's so cool about the book of the week though! Also love some good book inspo! 

Think I'm going to have to set up a sinking fund for buying books 🤪 on a serious note though, it's nice to see that inflation doesn't seem to be affecting the prices of books!

Oh that is so sad about Jennette McCurdy and her mum 😔

Oh my gosh, that's amazing that you've ordered a hammock 😂 I hope you enjoy reading lots of books, relaxing in it! Hopefully the sun will stick around long enough for you to enjoy it! 

I've started The Visa - absolutely glued to it!
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    @Wilshyboy sounds like you're enjoying them 🙂
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Wilshyboy Oh they sound quite similar to Kathy Reichs books. I love crime fiction. Will add them to the list! :) 

@CountryMimi They were two I had on my list and I saw a tweet saying this independent book store hadn't had a great month for sales and thought why not!

I find they get books online first, but it's waiting to have so many to get free delivery 🤪

Have you ever heard, of 66 books? I think I may open a whole new world here. It's a warehouse in Hemel Hempstead, one weekend a month they open to the public. It's usually 70% off books but sometimes have weekends where they offer 80%! It is two floors. They don't always have the latest releases but if you pop 66 books into Instagram or TikTok you'll see how amazing it is. 

It's a bucket list trip for me for sure! 

I hope so too! I have my SPF, pillow, blanket and books ready to do in it!

How far into the book are you? That's another on my need to buy list. I heard Lizzie O'Hagan is a good writer.

I've just started Gallows Court by Martin Edwards, about half way through now. I also have Mortmain Hall which is the second in the series. Need to pick up book 3 and 4!
    Hannah - She / Her

• Wilshyboy
    Options
    If you like crime fiction another of my favourites is Robert Galbraith's Cormoran Strike series, it is J K Rowling under another name, also another for you to check out is the Monkeewrench series by P J Tracy. These 2 authors are on my must buy list along with Angela Marsons, Iv'e also got all the Rizzoli and Isles books by Tess Gerritsen, plenty there to get your teeth into.
  • makken123
    makken123 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options
    Favourite book of all time, how tricky is that one? Mine (I think) is Alias Grace by Margeret Atwood--it's so sad, yet empowering.
  • Wilshyboy
    Options
    Probably mine are the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larson, Lisbeth Salander is a character who most people can identify with in some way, such a shame he died so young, a sad loss to the literary world.
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope oh that is so sad, but that is so lovely that you chose to support them 🥰

I am 89 / 370 pages in - I already know it's gonna be one I'm not going to want to end 😩 I think Lizzie O'Hagan is gonna be a new favourite! 

Oh free delivery is always a winner! Just a tip for anyone, if you download the app weshop and shop through the app, you can get a sharback on books you buy on waterstones and the works - unsure if I'm able to share my referral code on here though.

Ooooo that is so cool about 66 books, I live up yonder, would be a way from me, but I would love to go there!!!

I don't know about you, but the sun seems to have disappeared up where I am 😔 so I have the electric blanket on 😂😂😂

Ooo what genre are they? I want to try and broaden my genres if I can - prior to reading Beth O'Leary I've been glued to YA, but wanted to venture into other writers too. I'm a Christian, so I do like reading Christian literature

@Wilshyboy I had heard J K Rowling had written under another name. Pretty sure I've heard of P J Tracy as well. I'll have a look at some of my mum's crime fiction books see what she's got!

@makken123 aww is it a tear jerker? Are you currently reading anything?

Wondering if anyone has a special place for reading books?

I saw a room makeover on telly where they'd made like a little sort of bench using those kallax units from IKEA, so I'm thinking of getting some and making my own little book nook. I'm not sure how my back would feel about me sitting there 😂 but the aesthetic look is so cute! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.