The Autumn Statement 2023 - Page 7 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Autumn Statement 2023

Options

Comments

• onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 757 Pioneering
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    They have not said anything specifically about disability benefits yet as far as I am aware !!
    apart from a 6.7% rise

Benefits to stop for those refusing to seek work

Hunt follows through with a clampdown on benefits.

He says that if, after seeking a job for 18 months, a claimant has still not found employment they will have to take part in a mandatory work placement "to increase their skills and improve their employability".

And if they "choose not to engage with the work search process for six months, we will close their case and stop their benefits", he says.

THIS DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTION THE DISABLED

On first reaction says a clamp down on benefits "If after seeking work for 18 months"
      This would mean people who are already fit for work and have a WORK COACH that contacts them every month where within that month the claimant must also look for work and show in their journal that they have applied for jobs.  In having been through this process these are the errors.
    1.  How many people on the dole and not in the LWRAG have actually had to go to the job center to sign on and had to show their journal before signing in the last 2 years?  
    2.  The Sick Certificate is their for a reason. If the "Doctor"signs you off then its only you or another doctor that can stop the sick note.  By doctor I mean Medical Registered Professional on the BMR for medical personal.
    e.g.  Doctor gives you a note for 6 months, in the mean time a Physio gives you treatment and the problem is relieved by them or an operation fixes the problem ( dislocated finger) after treatment you are fit and ready to return in 4 months then they can sign you off.
      I know this may cause some to not agree, but an assessment completed by an assessment company hired by the DWP to assess cannot sign you off.  Since under DUTY OF CARE they would have to write in your MEDICAL FILES that they have done so.
    3.  Increasing skills and employability should be part of your process to return to work not just to get you off the DOLE.  If you not fit your not fit.
    Dont worry I'm not.   
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    I left a comment yesterday but would also like to add this.
      Changes to Work Capability Assessment (WCA)

The Government is going to make changes to WCA. This is the assessment for the health element of Universal Credit and Employment Support Allowance (ESA). These will only affect new claims, and will not come into effect until 2025.

The Government wants to reduce the number of people who are declared unfit for work. This means people who are found too unwell to work and have no requirement to look for work to receive benefits.

Under the changes, more people are expected to be declared fit for work and will be required to look for jobs or have their benefits cut.

It’s deeply worrying. It could force disabled people to look for work when they aren’t well enough. We will keep campaigning against this.

These changes will end up pushing disabled people further away from work and plunging more people into poverty.

While I agree with the posts that it does not specifically state Disabled, and make reference to the scope section My problem is the changes being made to thI have always stated that I did not want the Assessment process scrapped but e Assessment process, above and the highlighted section. says it all.

I did not see any improvement in the care or administration of Health Care, yet they say they are making changes to the Works Capability Assessment?  We have all seen some of the changes that they want to bring in, including reducing the number of points given or reducing the number of points that could be achieved by removing answers that apply.

All I see is OUR MONEY being spent on ADMIN (NOT OURS) and getting companies to review the assessment process costing MILLIONS OF POUNDS and what has changed?  Has the lengths of time to get treatment changed, has the ability of the Job Centers to actually get people into the Job centers to discuss their options or give them courses to improve their skill factors?  NO.  

Why are we still fighting to get anything?  Is there anything about the NHS in the statement?  YES, we have cut the rate of income tax so that not only the police, Fire and NHS will all be better off?  by around £350 A YEAR  That's about £7 a week, BUT THIS IS BASED ON A PERSON EARNING £35,000+   What about everyone else?

MY POINT: Its not as though he doesn't know he has a problem with payments and care of the sick, long term sick and more importantly the Disabled, which is going up year on year because the care or Duty of Care is just not their.

How can you improve your quality of life when every rise, and I welcome the other 6.7% rise in penson if 85% of this figure like the 10.1% is lost in tax.

If you wanted the pensioners to receive something the rise should have gone onto the Applicable Amount meaning that less money taken from the pensions would be taken and actually giving the pensioner or the Disabled more money in their pocket.  By putting it onto ANY MEANS TESTED BENEFIT, is really giving back to the government the rise you have just awarded.

e.g only:  Excess income £40, 10.1% increase = £44.04, amount after tax = £6.06 you get

add another 6.75% = another 90p after tax.

Imaging adding it to you PIP or DWP non means tested benefit?

16.80% to Care component and the same for Mobility allowances?  

Sorry not a fan of this budget?  Or the changes to disability assessment without seeing how a person who has no experience of Assessment is allowed to say what the new assessment should look like.

The person that has the final say, needs to negociate with unions to get the correct assessment for the needs of the claimant.  I used to write risk assessments and method sattement every day for the last 45 years.  EACH Statement was checked and a Duty of Care was applied to reduce the risk of further needs of treatment, by getting it right first time.

• onebigvoice
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    They have not said anything specifically about disability benefits yet as far as I am aware !!
    apart from a 6.7% rise

Benefits to stop for those refusing to seek work

Hunt follows through with a clampdown on benefits.

He says that if, after seeking a job for 18 months, a claimant has still not found employment they will have to take part in a mandatory work placement "to increase their skills and improve their employability".

And if they "choose not to engage with the work search process for six months, we will close their case and stop their benefits", he says.

THIS DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTION THE DISABLED

On first reaction says a clamp down on benefits "If after seeking work for 18 months"
      This would mean people who are already fit for work and have a WORK COACH that contacts them every month where within that month the claimant must also look for work and show in their journal that they have applied for jobs.  In having been through this process these are the errors.
    1.  How many people on the dole and not in the LWRAG have actually had to go to the job center to sign on and had to show their journal before signing in the last 2 years?  
    2.  The Sick Certificate is their for a reason. If the "Doctor"signs you off then its only you or another doctor that can stop the sick note.  By doctor I mean Medical Registered Professional on the BMR for medical personal.
    e.g.  Doctor gives you a note for 6 months, in the mean time a Physio gives you treatment and the problem is relieved by them or an operation fixes the problem ( dislocated finger) after treatment you are fit and ready to return in 4 months then they can sign you off.
      I know this may cause some to not agree, but an assessment completed by an assessment company hired by the DWP to assess cannot sign you off.  Since under DUTY OF CARE they would have to write in your MEDICAL FILES that they have done so.
    3.  Increasing skills and employability should be part of your process to return to work not just to get you off the DOLE.  If you not fit your not fit.
    Dont worry I'm not.   
  • raspberrysorbet66
    raspberrysorbet66 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    This is all so confusing. I’ve seen a few people mention now that if you already have LCWRA then you’ll never face another WCA again? Is this correct, I assume it can’t be, I also assume that if not there will be something equally as cruel to take its place. … in the meantime, what can we do, who can we write to, can we campaign. Why OH why are we always set upon? 
  • mason50
    mason50 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    Is limited capacity to work addition money the same as LCWRA ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,892 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    mason50 said:
    Is limited capacity to work addition money the same as LCWRA ? 

Limited Capability for Work. (LCW) For those that started their claim after April 2017 do not receive any extra money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,575 Scope online community team
    Options
    UPDATE;
    Scope have made an official statement on the main Scope website, which you can all read here
    I suggest everyone has a quick read. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • mason50
    Options
    poppy I got my award before 2017 . Does that mean the government will force need to go back to work?
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,575 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey @mason50 there will be no plans to force you back to work if you are already LCWRA. They are only talking about universal credit here, no other benefits have been mentioned.   Please try not to worry too much about any of this. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    mason50 said:
    poppy I got my award before 2017 . Does that mean the government will force need to go back to work?

No, not at all. Being forced to work only applies to job seekers. It doesn't apply to those that have been found to have either LCW or LCWRA. Which is WRAG or Support Group for ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hey @mason50 there will be no plans to force you back to work if you are already LCWRA.
    It also applies to those that have LCW, not just for those that have LCWRA.

• mason50
    Options
    thank you everyone . I’ve been in a right mess over all of this . You are all such a great support . With the limited capability for work addition does this abs being in the support group for esa and have been for years will I stlll get the same money when I get my migration letter to change to UC ? I also get tax credits . Sorry for keep asking questions I just panic 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    mason50 said:
    thank you everyone . I’ve been in a right mess over all of this . You are all such a great support . With the limited capability for work addition does this abs being in the support group for esa and have been for years will I stlll get the same money when I get my migration letter to change to UC ? I also get tax credits . Sorry for keep asking questions I just panic 

I just realised i advised you yesterday about this. You said you're in the Support Group for ESA. As i advised, for UC purposes this is the same as LCWRA and not LCW. When you migrate to UC you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. You will not need to go through another WCA.
  • Skyla
    Skyla Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    How does it affect those on the health/higher element on UC and PIP..instarted receiving it last April as had to appeal which took years. It's all confusing and am unable to sleep since all of the ongoing threats. I'm bedridden with ME and severe widespread pain so apologies if I'm not understanding all of this. Scope, you are wonderful and a Godsend to all of us..your help is so appreciated ❤️ 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Skyla said:
    How does it affect those on the health/higher element on UC and PIP..instarted receiving it last April as had to appeal which took years. It's all confusing and am unable to sleep since all of the ongoing threats. I'm bedridden with ME and severe widespread pain so apologies if I'm not understanding all of this. Scope, you are wonderful and a Godsend to all of us..your help is so appreciated ❤️ 

It doesn't apply. The changes to the WCA only applies to new claims after 2025, if it goes ahead at all. With a general election next year the plans may not go ahead. At the moment there's nothing for us to worry about. 

• Skyla
    Options
    Thanks, it helps to have it clarified. I'm unable to read long scripts about it all with ME and severe pain as I can't take it all in on a bad day so just reading what you've explained is helpful. Thank you again. Panicking def doesn't help but it's inevitable so my thoughts are with all affected. 
  • mason50
    Options
     thanks poppy . I don’t take information in very well so I ask lots of questions . 
  • Skyla
    Options
    Hi Mason, I'm the same...it's all very daunting and overwhelming to take in. I've only just joined this forum..Scope are amazing aren't they. 
  • mason50
    Options
    They are really amazing and helpful . The autumn statement left me so scared I haven’t slept .
  • Skyla
    Options
    mason50 said:
    They are really amazing and helpful . The autumn statement left me so scared I haven’t slept .
    So sorry to hear this Mason, same here. Thank goodness for Scope 🙏  I've stopped listening to any news or reading about it for now and only focus on what Scope say for now as anxiety and stress make symptoms worse so that might help too. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.