The Autumn Statement 2023 - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Autumn Statement 2023

Options

Comments

• mason50
    mason50 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    Sorry yes it’s esa support group 
  • Votadini
    Votadini Community member Posts: 39 Pioneering
    Options
    carbow32 said:
    I am so confused here reading this.  I am currently LCWRA.  Does this mean I won't face reassessment again at all or I might up until 2025 but it will be with the descriptors as they currently are ?  

It means you might be reassessed up until 2025 and if you are it will be with the descriptors as they currently are.
  • carbow32
    carbow32 Community member Posts: 115 Pioneering
    Options
    Votadini said:
    carbow32 said:
    I am so confused here reading this.  I am currently LCWRA.  Does this mean I won't face reassessment again at all or I might up until 2025 but it will be with the descriptors as they currently are ?  

It means you might be reassessed up until 2025 and if you are it will be with the descriptors as they currently are.
    oh right so are they about to go on a mass reassessment 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,913 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    mason50 said:
    I receive £450 esa every 2 weeks . Does that mean I will get the new esa when I move over to UC ? 
    That will depend on what exactly your ESA is made up of. As I advised part of it could be contributions based. It won’t make any difference to your overall benefits entitlement anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • zane
    zane Community member Posts: 156 Courageous
    Options
    mason50 said:
    Thanks poppy I think I’m just getting confused with it all . I’m not sure if it’s contributions based . How can I find this out please ? 

If you're in the Support Group and you receive more than £129.50/week then at least part of it will be Income Related. Either way, it doesn't really matter because you're claiming Tax credits so you will be migrated across to UC at some point soon.

If it's part contributions based then £129.50/week will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    Hi my claim in support group since my partner in support group my claim but I get no tax credit does mean my benefits be stop next year then since me and my partner can’t work 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    zane said:
    mason50 said:
    Thanks poppy I think I’m just getting confused with it all . I’m not sure if it’s contributions based . How can I find this out please ? 

If you're in the Support Group and you receive more than £129.50/week then at least part of it will be Income Related. Either way, it doesn't really matter because you're claiming Tax credits so you will be migrated across to UC at some point soon.

If it's part contributions based then £129.50/week will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    Hi my claim in support group since my partner in support group my claim but I get no tax credit does mean my benefits be stop next year then since me and my partner can’t work 
    No they will not stop. They will continue as normal.

My comment that you quoted was answering someone else’s question about managed migration to UC.

As you’re claiming Income Related ESA and not Tax credits as well then you will remain on ESA until at least 2028. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • charl1980
    charl1980 Community member Posts: 132 Courageous
    Options
    Bless u it's a scary time , I was told people on normal JC  conditions there UC stops after 18 months by a friend but it seems only if they refuse work placement I think, it's the changes to wca that scare me , who's classed as venerable as someone who regularly self harms as does my partner are we? Who knows
  • charl1980
    Options
    I will say I've seemed and receive help 
  • Skyla
    Skyla Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    As if applying for PIP isn't bad enough with the dehumanising way they treat you..took years to appeal having been refused help and have suffered debilitating pain for 32 years of my life. So to only just be in receipt of it after years of begging for help, we now all face these evil threats. None of us choose this life of misery and the whole idea of PIP is to help ease our struggles a little yet now they want to take it away to make us suffer even more? The lucky millionaires who sit at their desk with their huge pay checks think that we are jail a bunch of scroungers that can't be arsed? They're the sick ones. Sick. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Skyla said:
    As if applying for PIP isn't bad enough with the dehumanising way they treat you..took years to appeal having been refused help and have suffered debilitating pain for 32 years of my life. So to only just be in receipt of it after years of begging for help, we now all face these evil threats. None of us choose this life of misery and the whole idea of PIP is to help ease our struggles a little yet now they want to take it away to make us suffer even more? The lucky millionaires who sit at their desk with their huge pay checks think that we are jail a bunch of scroungers that can't be arsed? They're the sick ones. Sick. 

PIP hasn't been mentioned in any of the potential changes.
  • JasonRA
    JasonRA Community member Posts: 34 Pioneering
    Options
    My queries are:

1. I've been on LCWRA since July or June of this year and I was accepted for PIP around April of this year. This is all due to mental health related issues such as C-PTSD, suicidal, self harm, manic depression and social anxiety. Am I up the creek without a paddle?

2. Surely jobseekers who can't find work yet actively search even after 18 months wouldn't lose their benefits?

3. There's a General Election next year, will Labour be as hard on jobseekers and the disabled? Will they enact the Tories' plans? 

I worry also for people like us post 2025 trying to claim pip and LCWRA, many of these people going to suffer terribly, I don't think I could have coped without the financial sustenance I've received and I'm eternally grateful/thankful.

• charl1980
    Options
    I may be wrong but jobseekers it's only if they don't accept a work placement at 18 months they lose benefits and also I Kay be wrong again but if your suicidal and self harm same as some people in my family I'm not sure if we will be in "" substantially at risk group xxx
  • Grissom123
    Grissom123 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    edited November 2023
    Options
     From the DWP response to the consultation: 'These changes to the WCA will apply to new claims for ESA and to UC claimants who report a health condition and require an assessment.'

And from the DWP press release earlier today about the WCA changes: 'These changes will not affect existing claimants whose circumstances remain the same, reflecting the need to ensure a continuity of service for them, and will mean that these claimants will not lose money as a result of the changes.'

From what I can tell the WCA changes being implemented in 2025 will only apply to new claimants. People who are already on LCWRA will stay that way and according to DWP most won't be reassessed: '
    These changes will mean that almost all people who are currently assessed as having LCWRA will never face a WCA reassessment again.'
  • LeoGuaje7
    LeoGuaje7 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi all, new member here. Thanks to you all for the reassuring words posted on here in such a tough time. Those in government are truly awful, awful 'people'.

It seems that those of us who receive disability benefits should be okay, but does anyone know what will happen when i eventually have to migrate from ESA Support Group to UC? Would this count as a new claim for UC?

I receive income-related ESA SG and PIP, but the thought of the new WCA assessment is terrifying
  • Grissom123
    Grissom123 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Options
    LeoGuaje7 said:
    Hi all, new member here. Thanks to you all for the reassuring words posted on here in such a tough time. Those in government are truly awful, awful 'people'.

It seems that those of us who receive disability benefits should be okay, but does anyone know what will happen when i eventually have to migrate from ESA Support Group to UC? Would this count as a new claim for UC?

I receive income-related ESA SG and PIP, but the thought of the new WCA assessment is terrifying
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you are on ESA Support Group, then you keep that award (LCWRA) when you transfer to UC with no need of a reassessment. I'm sure someone else can tell you more.
  • LeoGuaje7
    LeoGuaje7 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    LeoGuaje7 said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you are on ESA Support Group, then you keep that award (LCWRA) when you transfer to UC with no need of a reassessment. I'm sure someone else can tell you more.
    Thank you, that would definitely be logical, but we know that this government don't do logic.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Votadini said:
    So the long and short of these proposals is if you have an existing LCWRA award then fight tooth and nail to cling on to it until 2025. For everyone else, most especially those with mental health conditions, things are about get a lot tougher.

Of course none of this could happen if/when Labour win the next election. But with Liz Kendall in shadow Work & Pensions to say my expectations are low is a considerable understatement.
    The proposals will be for new claims from 2025 and existing claims from the end of the decade.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• mason50
    mason50 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    Poppy I’ve looked at my letter from esa and it says limited capability to work addition , extra money because I am in a support group . I also get extra money because I am severely disabled. Will I be forced by the government to go back to work? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    LeoGuaje7 said:

Unless you're claiming Tax credits then you won't be migrated to UC until at least 2028. Unless a change of circumstances prompts a move before that.

When you do claim it, whether it's managed migration or natural migration, then you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim, providing you're still in the Support Group.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.