UC managed migration guide

poppy123456
poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing
edited August 8 in Universal Credit (UC)

There's been a lot of threads recently regarding questions for managed migration so I thought I would put together a guide and make it as easy to understand as I possible can. (if that's at all possible)

New Style ESA and old Contribution-based ESA

Those claiming New Style ESA or the old Contributions based ESA will not be migrated because neither of those are part of UC. Those claiming the old contributions based ESA will have their claim changed to New Style ESA automatically.

Mixed Claims (part Income-related and part Contribution-based)

For those that are claiming a mixture of contributions based and Income Related ESA, the contributions based will continue but it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

2 week run on

For those claiming Income Related ESA/JSA, Income Support and housing benefit, all those will continue for 2 weeks after you claim UC and then stop.

Managed Migration

Managed migration is not an automatic process, you will need to claim UC yourself. When you do receive the letter you will have 3 months to apply. If you don't apply within this time then your existing benefits will end the day after the final date to apply. If your existing benefits end then you will not be entitled to Transitional Protection when you do eventually claim UC.

Making your claim - Living with a partner

If you're living with a partner then you will each need to start a claim. One of you will be sent a linking code to join both claims together.

Work Capability Assessment

For those that are claiming ESA then please rest assured that you will not need to go through another work capability assessment when you first claim UC. If you're advised otherwise, then this is incorrect. If you're in the Support Group you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. LCWRA is the same as ESA Support Group.

Those that are in the WRAG for ESA will be entitled to LCW from the start of their claim. Those that started their ESA before April 2017 will also be entitled to the LCW element from the start of their UC claim.

Non-ESA claimants

For those that do not claim ESA and have a health condition that limits their capability to work, they will need to report their health condition when they claim and provide a fit note within 7 days of that. This will then start the work capability assessment process off. However, if you're currently working and receiving earnings of more than 16 x national minimum wage per week, then you can't be referred for a WCA unless you're also receiving a disability benefit such as PIP, DLA or ADP.

Savings and Capital

For those who currently claim Tax credits and have savings/capital of more than £16,000 this will be disregarded for 12 months from the start of your UC claim. However, if your capital drops below £16,000 the disregard will end. If your capital then goes above £16,000 entitlement to UC will end. For savings of between £6,000 and £16,000 then tariff income will apply and there will be a deduction for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000. TP may cover some or all of this but it will depend on the final figures.

Transistional Protection

When you do claim UC there will be Transitional protection (TP) in place to make sure you're not any worse off on the date you apply. However, this will erode over time so if other elements increase or you become entitled to other elements then the TP will decrease. Until such a time it will erode completely. Those that need to go through the work capability assessment could see the TP erode very quickly, if they are found to have LCWRA and you may not be any better off but again, it will depend on the figures. Please note that some people will actually be better off so there will be no TP.

Payment date

Once your claim is submitted your first UC payment will be 1 month and 6 days later. You can request an advance payment but this does need to be repaid back and your future payments will be reduce until it's paid back.

Council Tax reduction

Council Tax reduction isn't part of UC and this will continue from your local Authority.

I could include more but then I'm at risk of making this guide too complicated. I think I've covered the most important areas and the most common questions asked. If anyone has any questions then please do ask and either myself or someone else will happily advise you further.

Comments

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

Bless you poppy thankyou x

• egister
    egister Posts: 274 Empowering

Shame. A man worked hard, saved money, and when he became disabled, the government forced him to spend his savings to support his life.

• poppy123456

That’s been the rules for decades for means tested benefits.

If someone had worked and paid NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years there are non means tested benefits they can claim, such as New style ESA.

Disability benefits such as PIP/ADP DLA and AA are not means tested either.

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 383 Empowering

I have been on ESA contributions based support group for years along with both PIP elements at higher rate. No other benefits as I have saving above the limit. If I went over to UC doe that mean I will only get my PIP. So no financial benefit at all?

• fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 240 Empowering

Thanks for posting guide

IF your Legacy ESA claim is underlining CB but fully accessed for IR (with Support Group / EDP)

Will there still be a 2 week run on (paid Full ESA/HB) when have to migrate to UC when invited?

Lastly….. Is there a methodology in how candidates are selected I.E. those invited in Sept 2024 and those invited as late as December 2025?

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
    ChrisSCOPEhtfc94 Community member Posts: 208 Empowering

I think @poppy123456 you could have mentioned APAs/Alternative Payment Arrangements. You know how much I bang on about that topic on here. I think info about them would have been a welcome addition ➕.

I won’t be the only claimant, by far, that expresses such disgust at UC operating under a monthly frequency. #monthlynogood

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

I know all about APAs despite my frustration at the UC being set up on a monthly basis 💶💰. I got all the information through research 📱.

However, not all will know about APAs and I know I won’t be the only person who’s yet to move over that ABSOLUTELY HATES the frequency of the payments. I do think @poppy123456 that it would have been handy for you to mention APAs in this thread, so people that don’t know about APAs know some info about them.

APAs are a key component of UC in my view, giving people like me the chance of still getting more frequent payments 💪💪.

• Catherine21

I'm terrible with money I spend all in a week god I don't want uc to happen dreading it

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-alternative-payment-arrangements/alternative-payment-arrangements

I’ll post a link about Alternative Payment Arrangements here, I feel this thread does need to mention APAs in some capacity.

For people on this forum that are don’t like the way UC pays under the monthly frequency, the link ⛓️‍💥🖇️ I’ve included here will take you to some information ℹ️ about APAs.

It’s a good thing APAs do exist and that we’re still given that opportunity to have more frequent payments going into our bank accounts. There are many people out there in society (me included) that don’t have the capabilities to cope with a single monthly payment.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

It’s absolutely disgusting 🤮🤢 isn’t it @Catherine21 that the DWP thinks everyone can just accept a single monthly payment?! While it’s good Alternative Payment Arrangements do exist, giving desperate claimants like me the chance of still holding on to a fortnightly frequency, I hate that the DWP thinks we all have the ability to cope with a monthly payment. Wish UC hadn’t been set up like this in the first place.

I love the fortnightly frequency on ESA, I’ve yet to move over to that “monthly” benefit. I’m an Income Related ESA only claimant. I will be receiving more money on UC but it’s still the monthly frequency 😡.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

I’ll be certainly be asking for APA, I’ll be requesting one. It’s a no-brainer.

I just hope whoever makes the decision on my APA request will come to the correct decision. I come under Tier 1 factors, having a diagnosis of autism. I have that, autism.

Tier 1 factors - people under Tier 1 factors are people who very likely need an APA setting up for them. I should get an APA if the decision maker takes into account that I’m autistic. The decision maker better do that.

• Catherine21

I wrote to Stephen timms god I said everything asked why we was been fed to the lions it's a setup most of us can't do forms you say use phone lines I said a million people try to get through same time said job centre staff dont care overworked under qualified I said more I was worried get in trouble as you see by my writing I'm dyslexic it's so hard so unfair and cruel tbh

• Catherine21

I have bpd bdd awaiting adhd test hopefully get money can it be weekly or fortnight

• poppy123456

You will not be migrated across to UC because contributions based ESA isn't part of UC.

• poppy123456

When I did this guide some months ago (this is a repost by the team to just update some information) APAs were the last thing on my mind at the time. I'm not an expert and can only do my best, which I always do.

• poppy123456

Yes the 2 week run on will include full ESA and HB. No, there's no logic in who they invite first. It's likely to be by specific area I would think but other than that I have no idea.

• fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 240 Empowering

thanks for replying poppy 123456

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

With an APA you can 👌 get it fortnightly or even weekly if they feel your circumstances are that severe. I’m happy with fortnightly - CERTAINLY A LOT BETTER than the YUCKY 🤢 monthly frequency. Fortnightly brings the peace of mind that I seek and it needs to stay that way for me in the future.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

The highlighted wording as shown, this is from the gov.uk website.

“who are expected to manage their own budgets”

That wording gets me cross. The DWP can’t “expect” ALL households to cope with the monthly frequency, it’s easier said than it is done. We don’t all have the ability that they want us to have. Wish they’d respect that. 🙄😒

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

Fair enough - you still do a great job answering so many people’s queries.