Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

My goal today

Replies

• GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 285 Pioneering
    thanks everyone, he has moved to london, we'll always have a room for him, its a bit strange without him, only been a couple of days since we dropped him off, its my star wars collection that i'm swapping rooms for
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,386 Disability Gamechanger
    It must be very strange indeed @Grinchy, this can be a very emotional time of year for parents when the time comes to say goodbye to your child. I'm sure he'll do very well at uni though, what has he gone to study? 

Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,210 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sure he'll have a great time @Grinchy! It's bound to be weird at first, but you'll start to get used to the 'new normal' :D
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    He is studying musical theatre, a degree course of 3 years, we know he will do well, and we will miss him, but i know he will have a ball, 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,003 Disability Gamechanger
    @Grinchy another old saying is need expands to meet space available, you may need to upsize eventually! 🤣
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leecal - my property has decking to two sides. There was obviously quite a bit of decking left over so some raised beds were made. Might that be an idea? I have flowers, herbs & veg in mine. I found some smaller offcuts left in the shed, & turned these into 3 small containers for alpine plants, & a small 2 step plant stand.
    My joiner really wants to re-do my decking; he says it would look so much nicer (& bigger) if laid diagonally. He's shown me some great photos of the work he's done, doing 'things' diagonally from decking to paving. My decking hasn't got enough supports underneath unfortunately (I've gone through a step already, which he was able to fix), so it will need replacing, but can't afford this as yet.  :/
    @chiarieds sounds like a good idea, I have quite a few nine foot lengths left over and I’ve made some shelving around the arid border to display pots on already. 

I think a planter or two or two would look good as you say. Or a trug. Diagonal boarding does look good I must say. My joists were made from ordinary fence posts laid on concrete and they rotted but the decking itself is still fine.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    @leecal - sounds like you've already worked out how to use the surplus decking. My joists (didn't know the correct word for it) are of pre-treated timber, but too widely spaced apart, so my decking is 'bouncy' in places!
    At least you've got good decking timber which you can put to good use. Another week or so's work is all you'll need.... :)
  • OscarbOscarb Member Posts: 3 Connected
    My goal today is to share my song about my CP with as many people I can! 

Please like, subscribe and share.

Today I should finish my patio project, weathers fine, plenty of timber and screws, all I need is some energy! 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,257 Disability Gamechanger
    We cant supply the energy Im afraid but we can cheer you on

Done most of my goals today just baked birthday cake and just got to cool before I decorate it  thats the fun bit
    That’s it! @janer1967 what I need is a slice of cake for energy! Ha ha.

will you need to hide the cake for a day?
    No @leeCal I wont have to hide it he bas helped me make it and he will be putting his own artistic skills to the test decorating it.

Yes cake is always good for an energy boost
    Done diddly done (Homers neighbour Ned)

now I just need a chair and a cup of coffee I think and ....zzzzz
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,386 Disability Gamechanger
    Whoop, well done @leeCal, did it go well? 

You've earned that coffee for sure :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Yes it went well @Ross_Scope, I also have some spare timber left over so I expect to be making some more hits and pieces, that’s good for me I really should try to be more active. Thanks for support everyone! 🙂
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,278 Disability Gamechanger
    My goal for tomorrow is probably not a goal for most people but a reward, but I will find it hard. I have to go to a restaurant and there will be a stranger (to me) there who is a family member’s new partner. I find it hard meeting new people.

I am semi looking forward to having a nice meal though :)
    edited September 2020
    @66Mustang thinking about things beforehand always seems to make things worse, I was told years ago to not prejudge situations like parties, family get togethers etc but to wait and take things as they come. I used to put myself off so much I didn’t go out very often!

Im sure it’ll be great and you do know fifty percent of the people you’ll be meeting after all. Good luck with it 🙂 and have a lovely meal.
    leeCal said:
    @66Mustang thinking about things beforehand always seems to make things worse, I was told years ago to not prejudge situations like parties, family get togethers etc but to wait and take things as they come. I used to put myself off so much I didn’t go out very often!

Im sure it’ll be great and you do know fifty percent of the people you’ll be meeting after all. Good luck with it 🙂 and have a lovely meal.
    Thanks @leeCal

That makes a lot of sense, I will try to bear it in mind.

There are actually 6 people going including me and I know all of them but one so should be OK!
  • GlobsterGlobster Member Posts: 592 Pioneering
     Hello to the Scope community
    I set myself a goal this week of entring my poetry into free local poetry competitions which I have done  
    @Globster that’s great, fingers crossed 🤞 you do well.
    🙂
    Glad everyones keeping motivated, well done! and well done to @leeCal for finishing the patio, enjoy the meal @66Mustang, and well done @Globster, wishing you the best of luck, as for me well i'm still moving my star wars collection into my sons old room, spent all day yesterday doing it, my daughter and Wife helped me so it was good, today i'm sorting out figures into my cabinets, slow going but i'll get there, hope everyone has a productive day
    edited September 2020
    @Grinchy thank you. That reminds me of the old saying about the journey being more important than the destination. I must say I enjoyed the physical exercise last week in making the patio, now it’s finished it’s good but the journey was enjoyable too.
    I hope your dinner went well @66Mustang.

Ive yet to have mine but I did have a bacon sandwich so all is well 🙂
    I set my goal today of writing a new poem 
    Which I will happily share with the community a few moments as I add the last line in the poem 
    @Oscarb
    I think your song was truly inspiring 
    I appreciate you what mind share which me how you create you create your songs. 
    I also love writing my own music and lyrics 
    What also like what name of your youtube channels I would love to subscribe your channel   
    Well i finished the room for now, i'll add pics now to the star wars man cave thread, still need to add some shelves but that'll do tomorrow
    leeCal said:
    I hope your dinner went well @66Mustang.

Ive yet to have mine but I did have a bacon sandwich so all is well 🙂
    I just got back from the restaurant, it went well :) Thanks for thinking of me :)

Bacon sandwiches are nice I agree ;)
  • CressCress Member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Today my goal was to do some digging and planting, knackered now, but pleased with my efforts.

Earlier in the year I bought 50 phlox plug plants, which are now ready to be planted...not sure I'M ready to plant them though! 
    I think maybe 10 at a time...lol
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    How's everyone doing? :)

My goal today is to finish reading a book. Not too many pages left!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    What a nice goal to have @Chloe_Scope

No goals for me today just an easy day although we are celebrating a birthday today so I hope to get a drink or two in
    Hi everyone hope you all had a great weekend sounds like a few of you have achieved goals. 

i had a good weekend celebrating sons birthday spent a fortune and had lots of food , drink and fun

Had my swabs done today for the COVID research study and my other goal is just to catch up with everyone on here
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,699 Disability Gamechanger
    @66mustang Cheers to that! Have a lovely tipple or two.

@janer1967 Did your son have a nice birthday?  How's he found going back to school?

My goal today is to work a bit more on something I'm writing and speak to you lovely lot.  I'm very lucky!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

@Cher_Scope Yes he had a great time thanks and now has a wallet full of cash too, he is enjoying being back at school and seeing his friends and starting some new lessons
    @janer1967 Ooh lucky lad!! It sounds like he was thoroughly spoilt  :) Am glad the return to school is going well for him.  

edited September 2020
    I had to get rid of fourteen bags of miscellaneous rubbish, all sorted first and then taken to the local dump seven miles away. I managed half of them, don’t want to break my trusty car, or should that be rusty car, ha ha. 

Now for a nice cuppa and a digestive biscuit or two.

glad the birthday went well @janer1967
    Did you have any problem getting into the dump? Apparently a lot of them are turning lots of people away at the moment.
    @66Mustang yes I did, I had to queue for ages and once inside I found ticker taped lanes everywhere, quite confusing actually. Unfortunately I’ve still got about six bags or so to go, I may wait a while before going again to be honest.
    edited September 2020
    Sounds a bit like my one - though here you have to book a slot online but still queue which seems weird!
    edited September 2020
    That is seriously odd @66Mustang, can’t see the point of booking and then queueing as well. 
    Unfortunately we must obey, but perhaps not without question...or two.
    Today the scope online cafe helped my passion for boccia again 
    I was not able to find a local boccia club in Coventry
    I found a contact who might be able to help me
    Yey that's great @Globster It sounds like the online cafe was fun.  Keep us updated with how you get on finding a boccia club.  

My goal today is to learn and understand why I should let go of negative emotions pertaining to an incident which happened long ago. Quite simple really but as I’m sure most people would agree easier said than done. However with training I’m sure it will be possible to unlearn my go to anger response and replace it with an understanding of the reasons why it arose, compassion for the other in other words. It’s worth a try anyway and what can I lose except a negative emotion.
    To stop hearing Tammy Wynette singing one day at a time on a loop inside my head...wtf that about?
    @Cress I can imagine that is frustrating getting a dong out of your head

@leeCal that sounds like a good goal today and very positive thinking I hope you find a way, have you ever tried hypnosis

I haver to fill in my driving license renewal will be pretty easy though as I will be surrendering my license not driven for 3 years now and no prospect of ever doing so again I loved driving and the independance it gave me but hey ho just another aspect of becoming disabled 

Once advantage is though I can have a drink when out now as Im not the driver
    @cress That sounds like an annoying ear worm  :disappointed:

@leeCal Have you heard of Acceptance and Commitment therapy?  If you give it a quick google you might find it handy.  It's about learning to accept that we have no control over to gain inner peace.  I hope you are having some luck  :)

@janer1967 Always a silver lining and being able to have a drink isn't shabby.  

I went for a walk this morning so I consider my goal achieved!  I'm trying to re-introduce more gentle exercise into my days as I may have gotten a little lazy.

Hi @janer1967 I did try hypnosis once to help pass some exams, it helped I think, but I haven’t tried it for anything else. Thank you for the suggestion.

@Cher_Scope thanks for that, I’ll google it and read up, of course acceptance is a big part of Buddhism and I’m very interested in it generally speaking. 
    Since I have thinking positive has shown me that I can achieve anything.

I agree @Globster being positive is great and can help you achieve all sorts of things. 🙂
    So today i have spent in bed and being in my star wars room still moving stuff and adding figures, feel drained, i think the last week has caught up with me, the big move for my son to london, then the rearanging of rooms, just a bit much, i'll be back to normal in a day or so, glad everyones doing well
    @globster @leecal Keep on thinking positive  <3  

I also try to practice self-compassion, which you can find more information about on the Self-compassion.org website.  This is about speaking to yourself with the same empathetic tone as you would a good friend.  Don't get me wrong, it isn't always easy but it helps banish that negative voice that occasionally creeps in!

I'm going to try reading again...dont know if it's the anxiety and depression or the meds I'm taking but for years now I haven't been able to read a book....I'll read a page and the realise nothing has sunk in...and reading was the only thing that would shut up the constant noisy racket of the thoughts racing inside my head all the time....I really miss it...being able to escape into a different world far removed from my own....
    edited September 2020
    Cress said:
    I'm going to try reading again...dont know if it's the anxiety and depression or the meds I'm taking but for years now I haven't been able to read a book....I'll read a page and the realise nothing has sunk in...and reading was the only thing that would shut up the constant noisy racket of the thoughts racing inside my head all the time....I really miss it...being able to escape into a different world far removed from my own....
    This sounds very similar to me...I haven’t read a book for a long time, ever since my  mental health issues became more acute. And, when I read something like a forum post or article, I often have to read it several times as it just does not go in for some reason.

It is a relief to find out I’m not the only one but sorry to hear it affects you too.
    This is very common sadly @Cress and @66Mustang :(

Have either of you tried audio books? They can be a great way of drowning out the noisy thoughts whilst getting the information into your brain. You can even read along with them to get yourself back into it.  

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Thanks @Tori_Scope and @66Mustang

Never thought to try audio books as I think I assumed it would be the same as the tv....which never shuts up my thoughts...lol
    I think I'll give it a go though..reading along with them might help.
    I really hate that that little bit of a refuge was stolen from me...lol
    Yeah it does suck @Cress. I haven't listened to audio books as much as I'd like, but I've enjoyed them when I've tried them in the past. It's worth a try, anyway!

I am venuing into things I ever imagined is possible not seeming to be impossible with me thinking positively and so focused on successeding nothing is going to stop me  
    @Globster Woo!! That's what I like to hear.  Good luck  :)

edited September 2020
    @Cher_Scope I must say a big thank you to amazing people on the scope online community for giving me the motivation and courage to give different things ago Now I do not have any mental barrier from stopping me from achieving anything I set my mind to as I have never give up attitude to succeed at it if keep working at each day I realise my dream one day 
    That's great to hear @Globster! Onwards and upwards :)

@Tori_Scope thank you for the suggestion. I had to read a book for an A level a few years ago and I actually ended up getting that in audiobook format so yes that does help, I should give it a try again! Thanks.
    Watched a couple of Eckhart Tolle videos today, excellent and very helpful.
    Today I must nurse my leg . I’ve woken up today with what feels like a tight band around my calf muscle and I’m finding walking a bit painful and difficult. I’ve had a swollen calf for thirty years but usually it doesn’t hurt. 
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    @66Mustang @Cress I have poor sight being blind in the right eye from birth.  I listen to the radio a lot and enjoy the serialised stories and books often broadcast on BBC Radio 4.  One od side effect of this is that you form a mental picture of the people and places.  When Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was broadcast I had mental pictures of the characters.  Then they decided to make a TV version.  It was nothing like I had imagined..  For me it was a disappointment because nothing looked right.  Audio books are great too.
    leeCal said:
    Watched a couple of Eckhart Tolle videos today, excellent and very helpful.
    @leeCal Have you listened to any podcasts of his?  I've listened to ones where he speaks to Oprah Winfrey and Russell Brand.  That man has so much wisdom! Make sure to rest your leg today and I hope it's better soon.

Hi @Cher_Scope no I haven’t watched those yet, I noticed one on YouTube where he speaks to Oprah and I’ll watch it soon, thanks.

yes I’m resting my leg, I have it raised and it’s easing off now thank you.
    I am going to attempt to write a spec script for disabled deactivate drama for television  I going to give it a go 
    @leeCal Wishing you a speedy recovery I bet all that DIY had an impact.

I have dome my goal for today, booked to go to the F1 Silverstone Experience Centre as a surprise for my boyfriend this weekend. Also ordered myself a winter coat as its getting cooler out there, and maybe ordered a few other bits at the same time lol
    @globster Good luck with writing your drama.

@janer1967 My boyfriend would be made up with that as a present.  He is F1 mad.  Enjoy it  :)

@Cher_Scope we are both fans so hope we both enjoy it. You should treat him only cost £30 for 3 of us one adult 1 child and 1 carer 
    We went out today and bought a couple of frames for my room, was nice to be out, got back and my wife hung them on the wall for me, so was a good day
    thanks @leeCal, pleased with it
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    I take it you are a Star Wars fan @Grinchy The look great, well done.
    Hey @roberttaylor570, yes i have a whole room dedicated to my collection, you can find it on the coffee lounge, glad you like it
    writing another poem for free a local poetry competition 
    My goal is to find a good cheesecake recipe and then go shopping for the ingredients
    Good luck with the poem @Globster 🙂

i really like cheesecake @janer1967 I hope you find a good recipe today!
    My goal today is to win the lottery.
    if I succeed I’ll let you know 🙂
    @leeCal If you win you will be too busy planning what to do with all the money and forget about us

Cheesecake made and it looks delicious, also barbecue chicken with dirty fries and onion rings.

All a bit of a waste though as my boyfriend now has hurt his back so not coming for the weekend, we also had tickets for the F1 Silverstone experience tomorrow so they will also be going to waste

Looks like a weekend of catching up on tv for me now !!!
    @janer1967 shame about your boyfriends back, I hope it isn’t serious, good luck with that.
    Yay, yippee, yahooooooo! 💫🥂🥁🤣😂😄

i won! I got two numbers and now I get a free go! Yessssss! 

Well, better than nothing anyway.
    I  don’t know how these opportunities are finding me it’s hard to keep up with opportunities I am going to enter my self into 
    My goal today is to only have one piece of the cheesecake very hard as it is staring at me every time I go in the fridge
    edited September 2020
    I can imagine that being difficult haha
    I am writing own sketch for Bbc radio 4 and opportunity I have seen  
    @janer1967 who will crumble first, you or the cheesecake?!

they say it’s better to have food hidden because as you say, it’s a constant temptation when it’s on view like that. 
    I wont crumble lol 
    Today I need to return some clothes to a shop, too small. 
    Not a big goal but I  Don’t like returning goods.
    @janer1967 Aww I'm sorry you didn't make it to the F1 experience, I hope the cheesecake helped cushion the blow  :)

@leeCal Sounds like a productive task!

@Globster I hope your writing is going well.

Today I need to nip to the chemists on my break as they have given me a wrong prescription  :|. Still its an excuse to get a bit of sun!

@Cher_Scope It is worrying how often this happened, it happened t me last time I go with my son to fetch mine as I cant get in the chemist on my scooter .

He goes in and they usually come out to me however the last 3 times they have just handed it over to him (he is only 14) and the last time he came out with somebody elses medication. They never checked the address like they should o, good job I could easily tell it wasnt mine as it was only a little bag
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds really interesting @Globster! Do you know what the piece will be about?

@janer1967, what was the verdict? You or the cheesecake?  :D
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Me of course but that just means it's still in the fridge 
    @janer1967 It isn't great is it?  For me, they had given me the wrong dose  :o It's a good job I checked.  

@Cher_Scope just last week I picked up my repeat prescription expecting the repeat form to be inside and it wasn’t. A small thing but makes life a little harder since I’ll have to contact the surgery now to get another repeat prescription form .
    @leeCal These little things make a difference don't they?   :(  

@Chloe_Scope A young man who had a romantic meal from his girlfriend but with Birmingham going into lockdown 
    He meal for he makes a romantic meal at home which the two enjoy with candlelit before the young man gets some red roses and get on one knee to proposal of marriage 
    I have just written two poems for the postive image festival in Coventry 
    More digging and planting in the garden....so many worms! Great for the garden but I think its gonna be a while before I can face noodles or spaghetti.....
    Good luck @Globster!

Sign in or join us to comment.