Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

My goal today

Replies

• 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,293 Disability Gamechanger
    My goal is not to buy any snacks today :o
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,699 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal I hope someone takes up your offer!

@66Mustang Gulp - good luck.  BTW, have you seen the new limited edition twix?  They have salted caramel and winter spice flavour  :o
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    Thanks a lot haha :D

That sounds really nice though. :o
    @66Mustang Did you spot my subtle enabling?  :D

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,305 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal I'm available lol 
    edited October 2020
    I just got back from a drive on some of my favourite roads :) a nice thing to do on a Sunday. Now I’m enjoying an early craft beer before Sunday dinner.

I hope you manage to get out for a drive leeCal.
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,006 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967 thanks for the offer 🙂 I hope you can get out again soon.

i managed to get out, not far but it was nice and autumnal, I even saw a rainbow 🌈 sunshine and showers and loads of fallen golden brown leaves, lovely. I used to like looking for chestnuts when I was younger, painful but I really like them. Didn’t see any today though. 

Im glad you got out too @66Mustang, enjoy the beer 🍺 
    Great to hear you got out @leeCal. I was wondering if there’d be a rainbow given that the weather can’t make its mind up at the moment but didn’t see one myself!
    Today my parents’ car had its MOT. Quite a scary time of year as money isn’t exactly a thing that is in abundance in our house. Luckily it passed without any work needing doing which was a relief. :smiley:
    I know what you mean @66Mustang we have the same annual problem, and it’s around December and January time unfortunately. 

Well done anyway 🙂
    Ahhh that is a pain when you have Christmas to spend money on as well.
    Yes @66Mustang it is, but this year I bought four new tyres already and fixed my washers as you know, I don’t think there’s anything else wrong apr t from emissions which I can’t check but I think are ok, no smoke or fumes detectable to the eye anyway. So I’m hopeful about the car. 

The tax tax and insurance all comes up straight after Christmas so that is a pain but I don’t go out much really so hiopefully all will be well financially. 
    Yes that is good. Hopefully it gets through the test with no issues. :)

When I had a private car the tax, insurance and MOT were all due around about on my birthday so that was a nice birthday surprise  :s

My parents are lucky in that their car is free to tax as the emissions are only 99g/km.
    Any plans for today everyone?  I need some motivation for when I finish work  :)

Mine is very simple to persuade my son to go food shopping ith me after school, he hates to go and always wants me to do it online but I sometimes like t actually go as it gets me out and also I can see things that I might miss on line
  • GlobsterGlobster Member Posts: 592 Pioneering
    I going to write few poems today at some point when have finished some important work I need to do that seems to motivated me to get my work done quicker  
    I don’t know what motivates you Cher 
    @janer1967 I hope he goes with you.  Good luck in convincing him.  I'm the same I prefer to look for offers in-store and get things I wouldn't otherwise think about.

@Globster I'm looking forward to reading those  :) I like to exercise so maybe I will have a little walk.

@Cher_ScopeHe wont really have any choice if he wants to eat this week, and he has already been warned lol
    edited October 2020
    Speaking of goals, a friend of mine has breakfast in a local cafe virtually every morning. The other morning when he went to pay he was told there was no charge as someone had paid for him!

apparently a chap had come in off the street and told the owner’s that today he wanted to make someone happy and offered to pay someone’s bill, they quietly chose my friend. I just thought I’d share that because it’s rare that people experience things like that. 🙂

@Cher_Scope @janer1967 @Globster
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,210 Disability Gamechanger
    What a lovely gesture @leeCal! We should all 'pay it forward' more often. Small things like that can really make someone's day.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    @leeCal what a wonderful thing to do and I'm sure it made both the donor and recipient happy 

Wish we saw more of this and it is a gesture I am going to do myself next time I go in somewhere like this 
    @leeCal ooh I love a random act of kindness!  It's definitely the little things that make a big difference  :) I'm going to make an effort to do that more.

That would be great @janer1967 !
    How are those goals looking today?  I have some life-admin to do later and telephone calls to make that I keep putting off  :D

I did some life admin yesterday @Cher_Scope so today I find myself at a loose end, except perhaps finding the source of a damp patch in my kitchen, not fun though.
    edited October 2020
    @janer1967 my son still isn’t picking up so I still can’t say what the name off the restaurant was. I have more than one son and they all fail to pick up the same, I call it rude but they say “oh sorry, I’ve been so busy”  it takes a few seconds to text, very sad.

i won’t forget to ask though even if it takes the rest of my life!
    @leeCal no problem I was just curious 

Sorry your sons dont respond I agree only takes a second but they dont realise the impact it has on you 

Thank you @chiarieds the beams look familiar but it was dark inside at night, I do remember old beams. The name doesn’t ring a bell though particularly. I wished I’d paid more attention now I really do. 

It may may have been that one, I thought the word monk was in the name somewhere but I could be totally wrong. The reason I remember it at all is because my eldest paid for it which is really unusual ha ha, and the portions were all small as you see on tv, with gravy swipes and dotted pured carrot and such. If it wasn’t a Michelin star restaurant then it really should have been. 
    Thank you for your help though @chiarieds
    My goal today is to get my eldest to return my call or even just answer his phone. What would happen if we had an emergency I don’t know. 

Still trying @janer1967 but it could be a week or more if it’s anything like usual.
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    My goal this morning was to go to my church for mass then help clean the silver and other items ready for the Bishop of Chichester's visit on Sunday.  Due to the rest of the family getting up late, the kids going to school comes first of course, by the time I was ready it was too late for the bus.
    edited October 2020
    Sounds like a big day for you this Sunday then @roberttaylor570  🙂
    peace be with you.
    Sorry that your son isn't good at returning messages or calls @leeCal. You're reminding me to be a bit better at replying to my own parents

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    @Tori_Scope it’s really important because frankly it often leads me to think that I’ve been a bad parent somehow and it causes me some grief literally. 

When he does answer he will talk non non stop for an hour or two but then ignore me for a fortnight or a month. I’d rather just have a normal ten or twenty minute call but more often to be honest. 

Oh yes, please keep in touch with home, it’s psychologically important for parents if not you yourself. 
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    @leeCal It is St. Luke's Feast Day and as we are called St. Luke's this is our annual Patronal Festival.

It will be very different to previous years due to the pandemic.

We usually put on a bring and share lunch for the many attending.  This time, no lunch, no refreshments, no singing and socially distanced with masks whilst in church.
    @leeCal Good luck with that goal, it does make you worry though what would haen in the case of an emergency. I wonder if you called him from an unknown number if he would respond.. Have you tried with holding the number when you call  
    Hey that’s an idea @janer1967 though he’s smart, he may ignore withheld numbers, plus he’d be annoyed that I tricked him, however it’s his fault after all.

ill try that, what is the number you dial before ? 14 something?
    @leeCal It is 141 that you put in front , yes it may annoy him but just explain you are worried about how you could contact him in an emergency so was just trying different ways as he never usually answers your calls 

I must admit I dont always answer unknown calls I think if they wanted me they would leave a voicemail
  • CressCress Member Posts: 452 Pioneering
    My son is the same...I never call him as he wouldnt answer...I sent a txt just over a week ago to ask how him, his wife and my granddaughter were and still not had a reply...it breaks your heart.
    I think if he did actually call me I'd think he must need a kidney or something...
    @Cress I am sorry to hear that it must be so heart breaking.

I dont get to see my mum much buy I call her every week , but it doesnt work both ways my mum has only ever called me twice in the 12 years since my dad assed away, I just get on with it and make sure I maintain contact
  • CressCress Member Posts: 452 Pioneering
    This is it @janer1967 try to keep telling myself it's not a judgement on me...and be grateful when I do hear from him...
    I admire you for maintaining contact with your mum, when it seems so one sided...that cant be easy either..
    edited October 2020
    I can imagine that's hard @leecal @Cress. I'm not quite that bad, but it is sometimes easy to see a message and think 'I'll deal with that later' and then forget for a while. I'd definitely try not to think of it as a personal thing, but I can see that's how it'd come across.

I'll endeavour to be better at replying! That's my new goal. We can ignore the fact I still haven't bought that clothes horse :D 

edited October 2020
    @janer1967 the restaurant was called Blackfriars and wasn’t a Michelin restaurant but has been given some prestigious awards. My son reckons it won’t be long before they are awarded a star. So, oops, but it felt looked and tasted for all the world like a Michelin start restaurant to me! It was a few years ago too. 

(It is recommended by Michelin)
    Thanks does that mean you managed to contact your son @leeCal
    Yes @janer1967 I must have caught him unawares!  Funny thing, straight after another son phoned and then my daughter! It’s been that sort of day since my sister called round this morning as well. Weird or what.

its nice to catch up though. 
    Like the saying goes you wait hours for a bus then try all turn up at once 

@leeCal a good day for you 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal - Glad you got the name of the restaurant. Blackfriars, rather than Monks.....you've been playing too many word association games on here! Newcastle is an amazing place, where I lived from nearly 5 until aged 22 years old.
    Pleased you've heard from your sons & daughter, as well as seeing your sister. :)
    edited October 2020
    Any goals for today?  Mine is to buy my cats a new litter tray as I accidentally dropped on a bin on their existing one yesterday and it broke.  Don't ask!  Also, I think I'm going to treat the youngest cat to a biscuit dispenser  :D

edited October 2020
    I like spreadsheets very much, so I might try to design one to analyse a string of numbers. That probably sounds far easier than it is because the numbers will be pseudo random. Why would I’d o such a thing I hear you ask, or was it an echo? The reason why is because pseudo random numbers turn up in the strangest places and I like those places.

or I could just write a Christmas card list. I think the latter would be far easier but not much of a challenge. 
    Or I could read about Buddhism some more. Hmm, choices, choices. 🧐

ill read first. 🙂
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,430 Disability Gamechanger
    What did you decide on in the end @leeCal? :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Hi @Ross_Scope thanks for asking, I decided to read more about Buddhism, I’m reading a little at a time because it can be complicated. 

A son has promised me an Apple MacBook which he doesn’t use anymore and that would be better to do spreadsheets on than my tablet. So I’ll wait for that to come.

i did buy some Christmas cards today though, really nice ones, so good you could cut them out and hang them in a frame on the wall. 
    I have some audiobooks saved about Buddhism @leeCal, I'm glad you find it so interesting, it's wetting my appetite to start the books :) Thanks for the tip about reading a bit at a time, I'll keep that in mind.

A Macbook sounds amazing, will it also make browsing the community easier for you? As well as the spreadsheets of course :D 

And those cards seem lovely, would love to see a picture of them!

My goal for today is to get out for a Sunday drive :)

What about everyone else?
    To pot up the last of my pansies & violas, but I wish it wasn't so damp outside! Hope everyone has a good Sunday, & you enjoy your drive @66Mustang :)
    Hope you both enjoy doing those things @66Mustang and @chiarieds :) 

It's quite cold today!

Thanks @chiarieds and @Ross_Scope and good luck @chiarieds with the gardening :)

Yes it is quite cold today!
    edited October 2020
    Hi @Ross_Scope, the MacBook should make it easier to surf generally and of course on the community. I don’t know when it will arrive though, hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so. It’s mostly for spreadsheets though, I might keep it unconnected from the Internet entirely. I have an old blackberry which I don’t connect at all and I’m happy that all my data and info on that is safe. Not all apparatus needs to be connected to the internet in my opinion. 

the cards are lovely but it seems wrong to show them online for a couple of reasons, so I’ll resist the temptation if you don’t mind. 
    They are by Ling and if you google them and look you can see images of quite a few of their cards, very pretty.
    Tis nippy today when the clouds come over, definitely autumn.
    @leeCal

Hopefully it arrives soon and you enjoy using it, have you had a Macbook before? 

And yeah of course that's fine, I'll have a Google and check them out!

No I haven’t had a MacBook, I should be ok with it though, ‘what one man can do another can do’ from the Edge film ha ha.
    The Ling cards are definitely worth looking up!
    edited October 2020
    @Ross_Scope have you been studying Buddhism for long? I have found that there are some deceptively simple tenets beneath all the complexity. Sometimes I wonder if they actually want anyone to understand it thoroughly lol. However bit by bit ‘each drip of water wears away the stone’ as they say. if you have any questions I may be able to help answer one or two if you like 🙂
    @leeCal I have a MacBook and it’s really good for doing spreadsheets and just in general. I’m sure you will enjoy using it. Just so you know it’s almost impossible to get any malicious software on a Mac, unless you basically download it on purpose, so you should be able to connect to the internet without any security issues.
    Thank you @66Mustang, that’s reassuring 🙂
    That’s OK, if you have any questions I have been using Macs for about a decade and while I won’t pretend to be an expert I will be happy to help if I’m able to.

I managed to get out for my drive today, round the country lanes. It was a good one :)
    Pleased you had a nice drive out; I also accomplished my mission in the garden, just finished as it started to spit with rain....pleased to be back in the warmth now!
    I use Linux as it's so secure, & safe connecting to the internet too. :)
    That was good timing then!

I have never used Linux but have heard good things about it. :)
    edited October 2020
    I used a Vpn for about two days once but I stopped because I received a message from google asking me if I was bonaa fide in some way, I forget the exact message but it said a lot of traffic was coming from the isp I was using. I stopped using the vpn immediately.  

glad everyone’s had a nice day.  I was told to reduce the number of jumpers I have 🙁 I do seem to have collected quite a few, I like jumpers.
    edited October 2020
    Was it a free or paid VPN?

I actually pay for a VPN (one of the few things I am willing to spend money on as I think it’s worth it) and I find the service really good. I only tend to use it while using Wi-Fi away from home, though, like in a hotel. It may have changed since I did my research but when I was looking free ones were often dodgy in some way.
    edited October 2020
    Yes it was a paid for vpn, I am a bit miffed actually but it came with a security package. so there’s still some value in what I paid for. 
    Using it away from home is a good idea.🧐
    Oh that’s strange! Yes I use it in hotels as if you don’t use one I believe there is a chance someone else on the network can see what you are typing in. 
    I’ll pluck up courage and try it again someday, I thought it was strange too, gave me a shock actually. The message wasn’t in their usual font or style either but it said it was google. I came off immediately and stopped using the vpn just in case. 
    leeCal said:
    @Ross_Scope have you been studying Buddhism for long? I have found that there are some deceptively simple tenets beneath all the complexity. Sometimes I wonder if they actually want anyone to understand it thoroughly lol. However bit by bit ‘each drip of water wears away the stone’ as they say. if you have any questions I may be able to help answer one or two if you like 🙂
    I haven't started yet :D I have a few audiobooks downloaded and ready to go, but I haven't gotten round to pressing play yet (my backlog of audiobooks is quite huge). But I will get to them one day, hopefully soon.

When I do start reading them, rest assured my questions will be coming your way :) 

How long have you been studying it for?

edited October 2020
    @Ross_Scope it must be over a year now off and on. I have read several books by the Dali Lama but also some more introductory articles etc. There is a simplicity often hidden within complexity I have found, whether this is due to problems with translation or not I’m not sure, it may be also due to cultural differences as well though, different ways of saying things to what would be considered normal in the west. I’m sure you’ll experience what I mean quite soon after you begin studying. 

For example, emptiness is a concept used to describe how all things including people lack inherent existence. Non Inherent existence is a concept to describe how things including people do not exist independently from all other things including other people. Therefore nothing is empty but all things are full of everything else. All of which may sound incredibly dense. I’m saying actually all things are dependent on something else for their existence, a seed grows but it needs water, sun, earth etc and each of those elements in turn need other elements, the list becomes immense until finally you realise that all things need each other, that means they don’t inherently exist in their own right, which means they are empty of inherent existence, ie emptiness, they are also full of everything else in a way too. In the West we wouldn’t call such a thing emptiness I don’t think. Perhaps this example gives you a little idea of how the simplicity is sometimes shrouded within complexity, much like many aspects of life. Maybe all.
    That's very interesting @leeCal, I think to a degree all cultures and parts of the world are guilty of making certain things sound more complicated than they actually are. That's the beauty of learning really, often new things can seem overwelming and confusing, but with time most of it sinks in.

I will keep that in mind though, it definitely sounds like it can be a challenging belief to study. Maybe I'll tackle it on a day where I'm feeling clever :) 

@Ross_Scope please don’t let me put you off, the concept of emptiness is actually one of the hardest concepts to understand. 
    I've been reading about Buddhism on & off for many years. Like @leeCal - I've read books about/by the Dalai Lama, & that's a good place to start; his humour also shines through.
    Just reading about the teachings, at least I found, you have to stop & think, which I feel is good, you can't just 'read' the books. So @Ross_Scope you might be pausing any audiobook about this quite often! :)
    Don't worry @leeCal, it's not putting me off, if anything it makes me more intrigued :) 

I decided on a goal for tomorrow: to go through all my paperwork and sort it out and put what I don’t need in the bin. I am quite bad at keeping paperwork. I also want to gather all my medical and benefits-related paperwork into two special piles to keep them all together. :o
    Sounds like a really good idea @66Mustang paperwork is a pain but there’s nothing worse than needing a document quickly but you can’t find it. 😖
    All the paperwork is sorted out. I have a big pile of benefits-related paperwork and an even bigger pile of medical paperwork! I don't really know if I need to keep it all but at least it's all sorted out now.
    Yay! Well done @66Mustang it’ll be worth it later on I’m sure. 🙂
    Hello 
    I am going some amazing poetry
    I have no doubt that it will be fantastic poetry @Globster, looking forward to reading it :) 

@Ross_Scope
    I have posted the new poetry on the scope community for all to read 
    I will check that out now @Globster, thank you :) 

Come on guys, tell me what goals you've achieved today :)

I got a new table top fridge delivered today and set it up in my room.:smiley: it helps me to keep some drinks, snacks and milk etc. in there so I don’t have to go to the “communal” fridge downstairs.
    Well, I wanted to read more about Buddhist enlightenment and at one point I felt light headed so I reckon I achieved something...

apart from that it’s been a damp day and I’ve daydreamed my way through it with the help of a warm hot water bottle and the occasional coffee and biscuit. 🙂
    Good work you two!  It's been a very cold, soggy afternoon here too. I'm currently sat with multiple layers on drinking peppermint tea!

I had some oolong tea a while ago and it is quite calming, very nice taste too. I’ve had hem for ages but I think I remember the tea bags being expensive, Relatively speaking. .
    Yes they are a bit expensive.  I tend to go for the supermarket own brand ones as they aren't too bad.  Peppermint tea helps my digestion and is refreshing too!  

My family used to like Red Bush Tea which is from Africa. We tried it because the main characters from The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency drink it!
    I started a course in mindfulness today. I have already been on such a course but this is an online course, like a refresher for me. I finished week one!            
    I remember watching the TV series of that with my Mum @66Mustang- a blast from the past! 

@Tori_Scope

I really liked it, such a nice innocent program. :) I believe someone to do with it sadly died so they will not be making any more but the books continue luckily. I have never read the books but some of my family love them, they are apparently really good.
    I haven't read the books either @66Mustang. I'll have to bear them in mind next time I'm in the mood to do some reading... 

That's sad, I didn't know that :( I was just wondering why they didn't make any more.

edited October 2020
    Hello 
    I hope you everyone is well?
    I am going some new poetry
    What is everyone else plans  for today and weekend?
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds great @Globster!! 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.