Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

My goal today

Replies

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,999 Disability Gamechanger
    My goal is to find something to do, not easy. I actually neeed to redecorate my entire house but upper management has put a hold on that so ...not much else to do. ☹️
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you planned how you're going to redecorate it @leeCal?
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • PeterPan_2020PeterPan_2020 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    My goal today is rest because I have a cold  :# 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,202 Disability Gamechanger
    Take it easy @PeterPan_2020 and get well soon
    Why has management put it on hold @leeCal

I like designing a new look decor my house is new but can now decorate so slowly getting it done room by room as I have to pay someone to do it 
    That’s a good idea @Tori_Scope, I could perhaps calculate how much paint and what sort I’d need etc. 

One thing i do I do need to know is what is the best semi gloss paint to buy which doesn’t smell to strongly? I think it’s all latex based nowadays so doesn’t smell too bad but doesn’t look great either. So that needs checking somehow, perhaps someone here will know. It’s an eggshell type finish I’ll be looking for in white.
    Exactly @leeCal

I have no idea about paint I'm afraid. The most painting I've ever done is patching up peeling paint in my old student houses so we got our deposit back :D 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    I don’t really know @janer1967, it’s a mystery to me, I think it’s something to do with her being here when I repaint so she can ensure everything is covered up properly. 

Well, that sounds silly and I’ve said as much but she’s adamant. So I assume it has to wait for the next school holiday, summer would’ve been ok but it was too hot to work quite often. 
    Try b&q or wilko or crown paints 
  • GlobsterGlobster Member Posts: 591 Pioneering
    @Tori_Scope
    I was not successful in writing the radio drama script 
    it must not meant to be 
    on wards and upwards 
    Keep going with the poetry @Globster, and you can always try again another time :)

edited September 2020
    @Tori_Scope I appreciate your kind words I have never give up attitude and will definitely be giving it a go but constrating on the poetry for the moment but Park that I idea one side for now 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,666 Disability Gamechanger
    @Globster Well done you for trying.  Keep that positivity going!

@PeterPan_2020 I hope your cold clears up soon  :)

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    So, mysteriously my cold water storage tank is refusing to refill meaning we have no hot or cold water upstairs! I think it may be a blocked ball valve 🧐 

not something i want to do though though I expect it’s simple enough, so I must bite the bullet and call in a plumber...kerching!😫🤑😮
    Oh dear @leeCal sorry you are having problems with your water works and hope you get it sorted and the plumber doesnt empty your pockets 

Hope the rest of your day is better
    @leeCal Oh heck, that doesn't sound good.  I hope it doesn't cost too much to fix  :|

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    @Cher_Scope it’s probably around £80 or so, I’m expecting. Still waiting for the expert to arrive actually 😅.
    Hello 
    my goal today is to write another fantastic poem for you all to read and share with the community 
    Looking forward to it @Globster
    So all is well now, the plumber came, saw and fixed the problem with a new ball valve in approx half an hour, £65. 

I used to tell my boys to learn plumbing but they wouldn’t have it.
    @leeCal Ohh, glad it's all sorted and wasn't too expensive.  Aye, you could have done with a plumber in the family  :D

It’s a very odd thing @Chloe_Scope when you turn on taps and nothing comes out, not to mention flushing the loo. I actually appreciate the water more now. Perhaps everyone should turn off the mains now and then and ...perhaps not 😂
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,258 Disability Gamechanger
    Remember they don’t make £130 an hour though as they have tonnes of business costs to pay for. Tools are really expensive, insurance, van etc. That said you are right a trade does make good money. :)
    My goal is to get into my house. I am currently locked outside the house with a family member after walking the dog as the last person wasn’t going to go out so we didn’t bring a key, then they decided to go out and lock the door :(
    edited September 2020
    Oh dear @66Mustang
    That happened to me and I called a locksmith who took thirty seconds to get in and charged me a basic £100! 
    Good luck sincerely. Perhaps you can get the person wi the key to come back and let you in?
    They didn’t bring their phone @leeCal so couldn’t contact them haha :(

Finally got in after 45 mins not too bad I guess could have been worse haha and the dog got a longer walk :D
    Well that’s a relief, it’s a horrible feeling being locked out. Perhaps you should give your dog a key too? In a locket? Or perhaps a trusted neighbour a spare @66Mustang?
    We do have 2 neighbours with spares but they are both elderly and don’t like answering their door in the evening. We did actually knock on one but they didn’t answer so we didn’t want to knock again and panic them.

Giving the dog a key is not a bad idea hahaha :D:D
    My goal is to share two poems I wrote local poetry competition I completely forget
    Looking forward to reading your poems @Globster 🙂
    just posted the competition poems I have sent in 
    Look forward to hearing community views on poems 
    My goal today is to learn more about Buddhist philosophy. A huge task actually and a bit late today, but better late than never.🙂
  • Lou_ScopeLou_Scope Member Posts: 20 Courageous
    This is such a great idea for a thread. My goal today is to finish a book I've been reading. I have 100 pages to finish. I have a habit of starting books and not finishing them and then moving on to another. And tomorrow is my sons 13th birthday and so I need to organise his gifts and banners and things. :) 
    Hi @Lou_Scope good luck with the reading and the birthday preparations 🙂
    I had to sort out a notice I had issued yesterday from the council regarding the bins . Apparently they issued the notice to the whole of my small estate after doing an inspection.

I was worried it was directed at me but no they decided to just treat everyone with the same threatening notice rather than target the offenders
    @Lou_Scope I'm the same with books, I have more half-read ones dotted about the house! Happy birthday to your soon-to-be teenage son  :)

@Globster I'll be sure to check out your new poem.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  

@leeCal You don't do things by halves do you!  That's a great task mind and I would be interested to know if you read anything that could help our community.

@janer1967 Oh heck! That doesn't sound nice, what are they saying about the bins?

My task for today is to finish my ironing for a holiday I'm going on tomorrow.  How exciting  :D

@Cher_Scope It was all about where they are left, using the bins and what is in them, pretty standard. When I phoned they explained it wasnt aimed at individuals but bins were being left in the collection area with open lids and not taken back to their house, and this was causing an environmental risk. I dont even use the collection area as dont a lot of us.

It is only the houses at the top of the estate that use this but they said they issued to everyone so they get no complaints 

Wow how exciting where are you going on holiday 
    @Lou_Scope Good luck for the birthday celebrations tomorrow, my son was 14 a couple of weeks ago, so hard to plan what to do for them at their age

Happy Birthday for tomorroew
    @janer1967 Ahh, fair enough.  I can imagine you were bewildered to begin with reading it but it sounds like its for a good reason.  

We are going to a little cottage on a Farm near Cardigan Bay in Wales.  It's my birthday too on Sunday so we are going to celebrate that and me finishing uni.  September is such a busy birthday month isn't it?  I hope the weather stays nice.

@janer1967 Thank you :) It really has been difficult and I've had no ideas from my son. Having a teenage son yourself I am sure you'll understand. We've decided on a family game night that I am sure will end in chaos and possibly end up with a board tipping over because I have three very competitive boys. 
    @Lou_Scope That sounds like it will be fun, we went bowling then out for a meal with family, good job it was before the new covid measures as there were 10 of us

@Cher_Scope Sounds lovely have a wonderful time and Happy Birthday for Sunday
    @Cher_Scope happy birthday for Sunday and have a great rest on holiday, I think there are dolphins out that way somewhere.

as for reading seeming of use to the community I have read something today which I’ll post in a while which may be of interest. But it may belong in the mental health section? Let’s see.
    Thank you everyone.  Another year old, another year (questionably) wiser  :D

‘...In teaching, the Buddha never spoke of humans as persons existing in some fixed or static way. Instead, he described us as a collection of five changing processes: the processes of the physical body, of feelings, of perceptions, of responses, and of the flow of consciousness that experiences them all. Our sense of self arises whenever we grasp at or identify with these patterns. The process of identification, of selecting patterns to call “I,” “me,” “myself,” is subtle and usually hidden from our awareness. We can identify with our body, feelings, or thoughts; we can identify with images, patterns, roles, and archetypes.

Thus, in our culture, we might fix and identify with the role of being a woman or a man, a parent or a child. We might take our family history, our genetics, and our heredity to be who we are. Sometimes we identify with our desires: sexual, aesthetic, or spiritual. In the same way we can focus on our intellect or take our astrological sign as an identity. We can choose the archetype of hero, lover, mother, ne’er-do-well, adventurer, clown, or thief as our identity and live a year or a whole lifetime based on that. To the extent that we grasp these false identities, we continually have to protect and defend ourselves, strive to fulfill what is limited or deficient in them, to fear their loss.

Yet, these are not our true identity. One master with whom I studied used to laugh at how easily and commonly we would grasp at new identities. As for his non-self, he would say, “I am none of that. I am not this body, so I was never born and will never die. I am nothing and I am everything. Your identities make all your problems. ...’

The above is an excerpt from an article written by Jack Kornfield, a Buddhist monk and clinical psychologist.

Our chosen identities are a means to an end. They allow us to have a sense of meaning in our lives which is good and healthy but often we don’t realise that they are vehicles for unconscious and subconscious expression and we can become obsessed and possessed by them. This can cause feelings of anxiety and fear of loss and perhaps feelings of failure etc. It’s a question of balance, of achieving with acceptance that sometimes goals will not be realised in full. Of understanding that the joy is in the journey and the reaching of the goal a stepping stone to the next journey rather than a final resting place. 

I was catching up with all of your lovely comments, and then remembered that I still haven't fulfilled my one goal of buying a clothes horse 🤦‍♀️ 

Off to the Argos website I go. 

@leeCal That's a great reading and I love your interpretation.  The need to be in control can be destructive, it's more helpful to let go and think whatever happens I can handle it.  

Sorry @Cher_Scope
    belated birthday wishes to you I hope had a fantastic day 
    I appreciate the great advice the scope community give on how get help with spec television script the free bbc writers room on how write a fantastic story for script and how create your own characters which I signed up yesterday and looking forward to this Saturday 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning everyone!

Firstly, happy birthday to your son @Lou_Scope and happy birthday for Sunday @Cher_Scope!!!

Sounds like you've all been busy. :)

My goal for this weekend is get some writing done and finish The Sinner on Netflix - nothing too exciting.  :D  
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope 😀😀
    Happy writing and I haven’t seen The Sinner I might have a look at that myself.
    I was looking for pictures of my 13yr old this morning for his birthday and I found my youngest sons goals when starting school. I thought it was interesting that even 5yr olds have goals. 
    My goal this weekend is to make sure we all have lots of family fun. Being a family of five it’s just us for birthday celebrations but I feel positive that this is a good thing 🥰🥰🥰

Oops and Happy Birthday @Cher_Scope I hope you have lots of fun and celebrations too and cake of course 😋
    Sounds lovely @Lou_Scope
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    @Lou_Scope I had a family of six and birthdays were great fun with just us.
    Enjoy, as they say🙂
    My goal today wasnt a good one but I have done it.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and decided to end my relationship I just dont love my boyfriend no matter how hard I have tried and even though I should as he is a great person and support.

I think I may have put up walls after being do hurt in the past, but I know seep down I could never live with him and he deserves to be with someone who can love him

Dont worry I am ok and quite relieved I have finally owned up to how I feel its a weight off my mind to be honest
    Commiserations @janer1967 I wish you well.
    I'm sorry to hear that @janer1967, but I'm glad that you've been able to take that step for the sake of the happiness of both of you. You also deserve to be with someone who loves you, and who you love, if, and whenever, you want it :) 

Well my goal is to find something fun to do today, after all it is Saturday. Perhaps a ride in the car later.
    anyone else doing anything fun today?
    I looking forward to getting some free advice on how write a television show from the bbc writer’s room this afternoon I can not wait 
    That sounds brilliant @Globster ! An exciting day 🙂
    The bbc writing room allows new writers the opportunity to write a new spec script for a new television show idea every month so I might also give that a go
    It’s worth a try @Globster you never know until you’ve tried.
    @leeCal
    I have never give up attitude to anything I do nowadays   
    Do you like going out for a drive @leeCal? It is one of my favourite things to do. Where do you drive? I like driving on the country lanes i.e. B roads and more minor roads :smiley:
    @66Mustang yes I enjoy a drive and like you especially on B roads. I like it when you find a new road in an unfamiliar part of your area and just follow it , sometimes it’s surprising where it leads, plus it gives you alternative routes to take if you’re diverted or traffic snarled up on a major route. I’m close to Suffolk and there is some lovely countryside over that direction, hills and bakes cottages and ponds etc. I also like finding new churches to look inside, old ones I mean, I just like them as buildings. I must admit I also tend to read gravestones too, sometimes they are incredibly old and the styles are interesting.

are you in Yorkshire?
    I’m in the south east. A lot of my family comes from Yorkshire though and we visit there often. :) 

I agree with what you say about new roads and learning new alternative routes. Sometimes when there is road closed with a diversion I come up with a better way haha.

Suffolk sounds nice. Is it very similar to Norfolk? I have never been but go to Norfolk often because some of our family is from there as well.

Looking in churches sounds fun and I agree with you they are great buildings with interesting history. Something I like doing on my travels is looking in farm shops - you know the ones that sell fresh farm fruit and vegetables, cakes, beers and spirits etc. I always go in wanting to buy myself a treat but they are always so expensive and I often come out with nothing, but for some reason I always have to go in for a look!
    edited September 2020
    Yes @66Mustang Suffolk is a very nice county with interesting landscape, I think Norfolk is flatter as is a lot of Essex. I had family from Norfolk too at one time.

Farm shops are interesting but as you say expensive. I used to love honey but it’s too dear to buy now. Luckily I have a friend who has two hives and he gave me some beautiful honey last year free! He’s a good sort actually, the kind of person who will do anything for you without a thought about money or effort.  
    Nothing exciting planned for me, just done an on line shop

@leeCal an d @Globster your drives out sound really good , I have family in Norwich so have been to Norfolk a few times.

I really miss driving it is one of the things I find really hard not to do now with my disability it ids like some freedom and independance has been taken away
    Can you get an adapted car @janer1967? Though motoring is expensive actually.
    @leeCal Unfortunately this isnt an option I cant see well enough to drive anymore
    Oh sorry I forgot about that @janer1967
    And now I have ended my relationship I wont be able to get out and about now, oh well there are always taxis just means I cant get very far 
    Well I expect your son will learn to drive though that won’t be for a while yet! 
    Yes hopefully but by then he probably wont want to go out with his mum lol

I am sure he will take me out just about 4 years to wait
    I agree driving gives a lot of freedom and independence and it must be a difficult thing to give up.

And yes motoring is extremely expensive. If I didn’t have my Motability vehicle I don’t think I could afford to drive any more. Insurance alone on a basic car would be £1000 for me at 27, I dread to think what it would be for a 17 year old! Even with a Motability vehicle it’s expensive paying for the lease and the petrol but at least doable. It’s also nice to know that anything that happens like a puncture is covered under the scheme so there are no unexpected bills.

Sorry to hear you ended your relationship @janer1967 but it sounds like it was the best decision for both of you in the long run.
    @66Mustang I agree motoring is a luxury now and dread when my son can drive hoe much it will be or insurance 

I must admit I am in two minds about the mobility scheme, I know all the extras are covered but the car is never yours and if you lose the award you lose the car. So  in some cases for it was the only fasir thing to dothose not needing lots of adaptions it can be better in the long run to use the PIP money to purchase one private, only my opinion

Yes I think it was for the best to end the romance must admit while it was a hard decision it is a huge relief off my shoulders and 
    That is a fair point about the scheme. The one thing I am dreading is losing my award and so the car as it is my only car. However if I had my own private car I would be reliant on the PIP money to pay to run it so if I lost my award I would likely have to get rid of it anyway if that makes sense.
    It does make some sense but you run the PIP car so you are already used to paying that money out. Also you dint have to have a new car all the time you could get a good second hand one that will last and maybe if you did the sums it would work out cheaper over the long run

But I agree the scheme is less hassle free 
    True I did do the sums and the Motability was 1p a mile more expensive (I think £0.34 vs. £0.33 a mile) all in, but I got a brand new car so I decided it was worth it.

I think a big part of the reason for it being good for me is that the insurance is included. If I was older and insurance was cheaper it may have been cheaper for me to get my own car!
    Yes a good point you make there about your age its just a concern that you pay all that money out and could lose the car but hopefully that wont be the case for you
    Also @66Mustang with a second hand car there is the depreciation factor and adding that in to the per mile rate could make a difference, obviously pro rata depending on the cost of the car.

do motability give you a new car every so often?
    @leeCal You get a new car every 3 years as long as you get enhanced award and have at least a year left on the award
    @leeCal thanks, yeah the per mile cost is everything - insurance, tax, fuel, depreciation etc

Janer is absolutely right new car every 3 years as long as you still have a year to go for your PIP. Personally I’d happily keep the car longer (if I still get PIP when my lease runs out I’ll just choose the same car again anyway) but I guess they have done their sums and decided that selling the cars on after 3 years is best.
     I am trying my own to write a medical spec drama script for television as the BBC allow you write to write an episode for Holby city, which I would love to be able to write for a fantastic television drama like  Holby city   
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Good luck on your script @Globster, my wife loves Holby city,
    my goal for today is to get my star wars room finished, my brother in law put some shelves up in there for me and my wife and i added the figures, its basically done now, just a few more cards to hang

Good luck @Globster!

looking good @Grinchy !
    leeCal said:
    Well my goal is to find something fun to do today, after all it is Saturday. Perhaps a ride in the car later.
    anyone else doing anything fun today?

Sounds good to me @[email protected]! Did you end up going out?

Globster said:
    I looking forward to getting some free advice on how write a television show from the bbc writer’s room this afternoon I can not wait 
    This sounds amazing @[email protected]! I bet this was really interesting. Did it give you any inspiration about what to write next? :)

Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    No @Chloe_Scope we didn’t go out we had household chores to do ☹️

But on Sunday we went to a local church and had a look around for half an hour, better than nothing. 😔
    Yesterday my goal was to cut my sons hair! I’ve never done it before and his hair looked really in need, so I revved up my clippers and off we went. It turned out ok ish mainly because his hair is so fine it just laid there! Flat as a pancake. Never mind, trauma for both of us over. He hasn’t been well lately so that’s why he hadn’t been to a barbers for months.
    Well done @leeCal reminds me to get mine and my sons hair done in case we go into lockdown again
    Good thinking @janer1967 , it could happen by the sounds of things.
    😕
    It could though watching the news today it seems though they are going to be taking more measures they are hoping not to go into full lockdown and keep the economy going and keep school open

Then a few minutes later I get a call from school asking if we have internet access and laptop (hmm) they said they just want to be prepared as last time with little notice they didnt know who could complete work at home  ? watch this space
    Hello 
    I have decided to write my own spec medical drama script for the bbc
    My goal this afternoon is to clean my windows!

good luck @Globster sounds interesting.
    I really like a medical drama @Globster one of my favourite things to watch
    edited September 2020
    I have decided not to my medical script because there already medical dramas on the BBC.
    But I am going to write a new television drama which had not been done yet  
    That sounds interesting @Globster
    Today I went to the dentist just for a check up. My teeth are all good luckily:smiley:
    You’re lucky @66Mustang I really should see one for a filling but I’ve had such bad experiences with dentists that it puts me off.

i must bite the bullet though and see one soon, or perhaps I should stop biting bullets! Ha ha.
    Sounds great @Globster!

Sign in or join us to comment.