PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

2021 waiting time for assessment

tanya2595tanya2595 Member Posts: 50 Connected
edited April 19 in PIP, DLA and AA
How long roughly have people who have recently had a pip assessment been waiting to hear back? They received my form 6 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything yet I know it can be a long process before people start telling me. Just wondering roughly how long you waited thank you! X
Tagged:

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,730 Disability Gamechanger
    It's different in different areas depends how busy they are, can I ask is it a first time application or a renewal?
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • tanya2595tanya2595 Member Posts: 50 Connected
    @woodbine ah I didn’t know that thank you and it’s a first time application 
    @tanya2595 you could always telephone them and ask what's happening, but it's now likely to be with the assessors.
    @woodbine ok thank you. I think I will leave it a bit longer before contacting them. 
    you're welcome
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

6 weeks really isn't long at all. A succesful claim can potentially take several months. Most people have telephone assessments at the moment because face to face assessments have been suspended. Once an appointment becomes available they will contact you.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,136

Scope community team

Hi @tanya2595

I hope the above responses have been helpful. 

As touched on above, it's worth noting that the pandemic has slowed things down quite a bit, so that might contribute towards any delay or waiting time.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • BrettWBrettW Member Posts: 607 Pioneering
    @tanya2595 I received the notification that they had received my form on 28th October 2020. Got the notification first week of January 2021 and assessment is on Monday 18th January 2021. I live in South Yorkshire and assessment is being conducted by Atos
    @BrettW thank you. I’m from North Yorkshire so they told me it will be Atos doing my assessment too. Just waiting now for the assessment to come through. Probably won’t be until round about end of February/start of March I’m hoping but I know it could be even longer 
    @tanya2595 I actually received a text message first telling me the date and time of the appointment and advised me I would receive a letter confirming the details which arrived 2 days later. Oddly enough as I was typing this response I've literally just had another message off them reminding me the appointment is on Monday  :D 
    @BrettW I’m just waiting now I know they will be very busy with the pandemic and Christmas just been. Good luck on Monday!! I set up my partner as a appointee and they said they would be sending a letter with all the information for him on about been a appointee and I still haven’t received that letter yet hoping mr postman will bring it today! Good luck! 
    @tanya2595 Yeah its just a waiting game Tanya. I suppose you could always ring them and see if they can give you an estimation in regards to when you'll be getting your appointment.

Luckily mine is at 9am so I'm presuming I'm probably one of the first on the list of whoever is doing it that day. Lets just hope I don't end up with someone who aint a morning person :p I'm glad its early because I know I'd only be stressing out all day if it was later in the afternoon. It's on my birthday too so I'm glad I wont be spending the entire day fretting and ruining my birthday.
    @BrettW I might get my partner to ring up and see what information he can get as he also needs to ring but about not receiving the appointee letters anyway. 

Oh happy birthday for Monday. Yeah I think I would prefer mine on a early call so I’m not worrying all day about it but my partner is my appointee so he can also be on the call and talk for me too as I barley normally answer the phones to anyone even family my anxiety is so bad!! 

Good luck and I hope the person you get is a morning person 😂
    @tanya2595 another quick update. Just had a phone call off PIP too advising me of the appointment and asking me to make sure my phone is fully charged because appointment can take up to an hour. They also told me the name of the lady who will be doing the assessment and said more time can be allocated to the call if needed. So far its been a friendly experience
    @BrettW that’s good I didn’t know they did that! Well wishing you good luck for Monday and a happy birthday too! Keep us update and thank you
  • mykiddies3mykiddies3 Member Posts: 43 Connected
    Hi everyone! 
    Can I ask how do you know who has done the assessment? It’s just when I had a phone all for my daughters claim the lady said she was a nurse from dwp? She done a paper assessment and was just clarifying a few things! I’ve had a copy of my daughters assessment and that was also from dwp? It doesn’t say anywhere that it was from Atos or capita or anywhere else? 

Thankyou 
    @mykiddies3 hey I’m pretty new to this so I’m unsure how you know who Is doing it but when I phoned up dwp they told me it would be getting done by atos as that’s who does them in my area. Different areas are done by the other company but I’m pretty sure if you ring dwp up they should be able to tell you who carried out the assessment 
    Thankyou! It’s just I’ve noticed in here that if people need to phone them they phone whoever done the assessment? I’ve only ever phoned the pip phone number? And it doesn’t say on the assessment anywhere who done it other than the nurses name? And when she phoned me to do the assessment she just said she was a nurse from the dwp? So I was wondering if the dwp sometimes just use their own people? 

Thankyou 
    Hi everyone! 
    Can I ask how do you know who has done the assessment? It’s just when I had a phone all for my daughters claim the lady said she was a nurse from dwp? She done a paper assessment and was just clarifying a few things! I’ve had a copy of my daughters assessment and that was also from dwp? It doesn’t say anywhere that it was from Atos or capita or anywhere else? 

Thankyou 

It won't be a nurse from DWP that did the paper assessment, it will be someone from the health assessment providers because these are the ones that do PIP assessments. It will either have been Capita or Independent Assessment Services, depending on what area you're in.

Once the report is written it's returned to DWP and then a decision maker looks at the as well as the evidence you sent and makes a decision.

I though you received the report which had a recommendation of Enhanced for both parts?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thanks poppy! Yes I’ve received the report! I was just wondering who had done it because I’ve seen capita mentioned and Atos etc? But my daughters has just come from pip/dwp so I wasn’t sure who had actually done the report? Just curious that’s all! 
    I just thought because she had said she was a nurse from dwp and also on the report it says just her name and her profession as a nurse that maybe she was from dwp? 
    No definitely a HCP, when you return the application its put on to the dwp system then passed to jatos or capita, the dwp don't employ their own nurses.
    Thought so! No problems just curious as like said I’ve seen posts about Atos/capita etc but haven’t received anything form any of them directly atall? No texts or letters with their names on or anything lol only from dwp/pip 

thanks 
    Sorry I’m new to the pip stuff! Only ever dealt with DLA 😬
    When requesting the report it comes from DWP not the health assessment providers. Once the report is written and returned back to DWP the health assessment providers are no longer responsible for the claim.
    Ok Thankyou everyone xx
  • Tiffy1691Tiffy1691 Member Posts: 23 Connected
    I've just posted my PIP review form off but am nervous cos of a follow-up letter that contradics my last consultation. After an mri with regards to spinal fusion, stenosis was found in 3 places, my lower back, mid thoracic and cervical areas. The consultant was concerned about my neck vertebrae because of numb fingers and mentioned putting me on the list for a disk replacement in 3-6 months. She said she'd not seen a spine as bad as mine in a long time. However the decision letter skimps over it and refers to my physio visits and how well I'm doing! Should I be worried? 
    Tiffy1691 said:
    I've just posted my PIP review form off but am nervous cos of a follow-up letter that contradics my last consultation. After an mri with regards to spinal fusion, stenosis was found in 3 places, my lower back, mid thoracic and cervical areas. The consultant was concerned about my neck vertebrae because of numb fingers and mentioned putting me on the list for a disk replacement in 3-6 months. She said she'd not seen a spine as bad as mine in a long time. However the decision letter skimps over it and refers to my physio visits and how well I'm doing! Should I be worried? 

If you're physio thinks you're doing well then surely for your health condition that's a good thing.
  • naila_007naila_007 Member Posts: 27 Connected
    @tanya2595 - Hi I was just wondering if you received your telephone assessment.  I am more or less in the same time frame as you. And it is the same assessment company IAS/ATOS. A friend of mine applied after me and they have their assessment date already which is tomorrow. Not sure how assessors work - do they look at the evidence? or Do they request more evidence?
    Let us know how u get on.
    @naila_007 hey no I haven’t heard anything off them yet. Haven’t had a letter with the date of my assessment. Oh really? I would of thought they would of had to wait longer than us. I will definitely update you when I do hear from them keep us updated if you do! 
    Thanks 
  • 11190821119082 Posts: 258 Member
  • sonic1989sonic1989 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    I had my assessment call 3rd feb but my current claim ends 10th feb anyone know how long it will be after assment Ill have decision as my housing benefit stopping too I’m not sure what I’m gonna do with paying rent and everything while I’m waiting  the lady who did assessment said she was sending it next day I rang today witch is 6 days after assessment they still not received it off her is this normal 
  • Nicky73Nicky73 Member Posts: 13 Listener
    naila_007 said:
    @tanya2595 - Hi I was just wondering if you received your telephone assessment.  I am more or less in the same time frame as you. And it is the same assessment company IAS/ATOS. A friend of mine applied after me and they have their assessment date already which is tomorrow. Not sure how assessors work - do they look at the evidence? or Do they request more evidence?
    Let us know how u get on.
    Hi I applied for PIP on 29th October 2020 and I had my assessment on the 4th of February my claim is now back with dwp so they are now getting to. The folk who. Applied last October 
    Hi I applied for PIP on the 29th October 2020 I've only just had my assessment on February 4th my claim is now back with dwp which they received on the 7th February 2021.so they are getting to the folk who applied last October. 
    edited February 10
    Nicky73 said:
    Hi I applied for PIP on the 29th October 2020 I've only just had my assessment on February 4th my claim is now back with dwp which they received on the 7th February 2021.so they are getting to the folk who applied last October. 

thanks @Nicky73 I just checked my text messages they received my claim on 14th Jan 2021 but my claim date is 18th Dec 20 - so i have a while to go yet. Although i do know its gone to the IAS team.  Are you able to share your eexperience with regards to the assessment.

@naila_007 my assessment was really good considering I was so nervous for the appointment I had a lovely lady she didn't push me and went at my pace not hers I think as long as you get a nice person doing your appointment it should go smoothly, before I had my assessment I had heard some bad things about the assessors but I was made to feel comfortable even before she started. Good luck with your own appointment 
    I had my assessment on the 3rd feb capita sent it Monday 8th to dwp I rang dwp today the 10 but there saying it’s not showing as received yet anyone no why this is I’m so stressed 
  • Mark98Mark98 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I had my assessment on the 3rd of Feb also received a text from DWP on the 9th of February advising that they now have my assessment report and aim to have a decision within 8 does anyone know how accurate these time frames are as I have read a few post waiting more than the 8 weeks thanks 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 1,162 Pioneering
    Mark98 said:
    I had my assessment on the 3rd of Feb also received a text from DWP on the 9th of February advising that they now have my assessment report and aim to have a decision within 8 does anyone know how accurate these time frames are as I have read a few post waiting more than the 8 weeks thanks 
    It varies so there is no standard answer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NashvilleNashville Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I am POA for a disabled friend.  The PIP forms were sent in August 2020 and 3 phone calls have all elicited the fact the application is with the manager for action.  It has been with the manager for action since November.  My question is as to how to make any action happen.  It took from May to August to be sent the paper application forms as my friend’s speech is compromised and he thus could not make a telephone application and I could not be in his company to make a telephone application on his behalf due to Covid restrictions. So we are now 10 months in.  How can I make someone move the case along?  I have written twice and phoned 3 times.   No written replies.  My friends MP is Boris Johnson - wrote to him and no reply.  Advice sought as we want to buy a mpv adapted for a wheelchair but need a decision on pip as to whether we get it via  a mobility allowance.  Another interesting thing - my friend has had the Continuing Care checklist done and been scheduled for a full assessment though this too has been delayed 3 months.  Thus, in the system there are endless reports concerning his abilities and disabilities,  why is it not joined up? It seems I have been proving his disabilities over and over again yet since his stroke last February he has received no actual money at all.  Is there a way to get his case to the top of the pile?  If he is rejected for PIP so be it and I will know that the mpv will have to be bought from savings. I suspect a virtual assessment cannot happen as my friend’s speech and reading have been compromised significantly and he won’t be able to contribute - this is the case with the Continuing Care Assessment too.  Any thoughts anyone?
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,136

Scope community team

edited February 16
    Hi @Nashville

Hope you're well, and sorry to hear you've been waiting a long while. I have made your comment into its own discussion, which you can find here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • Simone82Simone82 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi I was just browsing and came across this post. I applied in October 22, had my assessment on 28th January, 2 weeks after my original assessment date. I'm still waiting on a decision and the waiting is the worst part. Wising everyone luck in the outcome of their claim
    Simone you still waiting I had mine on 3rd of February they told we be done in 8 weeks and a lady said it should be no longer than six my assessment has been in que with assessment manger since the 11th February 
    Sonic, yes still waiting I called them on Monday just past and they told me it will be a good few weeks yet. They told me it goes in order of telephone assessment and mines was end of Jan
    I got told it varies in different areas due to back log 
    Yeah unfortunately it's just an anxious waiting game. Will hopefully hear soon. Hope it goes well for you
  • NashvilleNashville Member Posts: 9 Listener
    No sooner had I posted my comment than the pip acceptance letter came with no review date which I think is important as going through all this again would be the pits.  Because my friend is profoundly affected by his stroke we didn’t have an interview so perhaps that was the reason for the delay.  Anyway the payment was all backdated and about 5k plopped into his bank account.  Quite how he would have accessed this payment without me advocating for him I do not know.  What a system it is!  Wishing all of you waiting good luck. Thank you Scope for your support.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,334

Scope community team

@Nashville I'm pleased to hear your friend had a successful outcome and they were definitely lucky to have you for support.  Thank you for the update :) You know where we are if you ever have any more questions!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    tanya2595 said:
    @naila_007 hey no I haven’t heard anything off them yet. Haven’t had a letter with the date of my assessment. Oh really? I would of thought they would of had to wait longer than us. I will definitely update you when I do hear from them keep us updated if you do! 
    Thanks 
    @tanya2595 - Hi i got text with my assessment date for next week Friday.  Bit nervous i will pull out my paper work this weekend and make some notes.  Any ideas on what questions they will ask.
    thanks

@naila_007 I still haven’t heard anything from them yet. It’s now been 17 weeks since applying. I haven’t had a phone call assessment before so I’m unsure of what they will ask you!! Good luck!! Thank you for updating me 
    tanya2595 said:
    @naila_007 I still haven’t heard anything from them yet. It’s now been 17 weeks since applying. I haven’t had a phone call assessment before so I’m unsure of what they will ask you!! Good luck!! Thank you for updating me 

I did ring the DWP on the 8th Feb and they gave the number for IAS who i called on the same day - just to make sure they had my file which they did. I followed the call up again on the 25th Feb - i just said coz of Covid the post is bad in our area, they said not to worry you will get a text message first.  I got the message first no letter yet.  I will update once i have had the assessment.
    Thank you! I’m hoping to hear something soon I did also do the same the last I rang them was the 15th feb so I might do a follow up call and say the same about the post and see if they can update me or anything. Good luck with your assessment 
    @ajones - Hi are you able to share your experience of the telephone assessment.
    Is it basically they go over your form - requesting examples etc?
    Any tips appreciated.
    Thanks
    @naila_007 I found it much easier than face to face it lasted about 50min my assor picked certain questions didn’t ask all try and write down how it affects you tell them every day is a bad day repeat to them the things you can’t do safely realibly  
    It’s now been 22 weeks and still not heard from them. My partner phoned up (he’s my appointee) atos and they said I am in the waiting list and it should be picked up any day now giving my claim was made on the 17th November. 

She did say twice on the phone that I might not even need a telephone assessment do they say this to everyone? 
    Thank you 
  • fonzfonz Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I called to make my claim 32 weeks ago. The assessment have had my file since the 18th of December. I was told 3 weeks ago that it shouldn’t be much longer they are looking at if they can do my assessment based on all the paperwork. 
    It’s a long time to wait but keep your spirits up
    @fonz thank you! Wow 32 weeks and still not had a assessment? I guess I could be waiting much longer then as my claim was made 22 weeks ago. They haven’t said that as such to me but when my partner does phone up they keep saying that I may not have to have a telephone assessment. 
  • fonzfonz Member Posts: 2 Listener
    @tanya2595 it’s a nightmare I haven’t had an assessment so far I’m just waiting for them to decide if I need a telephone assessment or not and I dread to think how much longer it will take. Hopefully yours doesn’t take as long as mine has. 
  • sands7511sands7511 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi im in the same boat ive had 1 text since they recieved my form on the 8th january and heard nothing since then ive also been given just 24 months to live whilst im waiting for open heart surgery that was 6 months ago im at my wits end im also in end stage renal failure so im really not doing well with the added stress this waiting is causing me

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,010

Scope community team

Hello and welcome to the community @sands7511. I'm sorry to hear that this is all causing you extra stress that you certainly don't need. 

Unfortunately, PIP claims can take quite a few months to sort. Fingers crossed you hear from them soon so you can get your assessment sorted. Are you doing okay financially in the meantime?

Is your health being managed well by your medical team? Have you chased them about your heart surgery?
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • sands7511sands7511 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    yeah i attend dialysis 3 days a week waiting to speak to my surgeon to go through the final tests and then the surgery its all just a waiting game and very frustrating 
  • sarah1977sarah1977 Member Posts: 16 Listener
    naila_007 said:

I did ring the DWP on the 8th Feb and they gave the number for IAS who i called on the same day - just to make sure they had my file which they did. I followed the call up again on the 25th Feb - i just said coz of Covid the post is bad in our area, they said not to worry you will get a text message first.  I got the message first no letter yet.  I will update once i have had the assessment.
    Hi naila, looks like im a similar waiting time to you. Its my daughters claim as she has turned 16. I rang dwp at the beginning of april to see what was happening, they told me that they sent the paperwork to IAS on the 7th of Jan, the man on the phone put me directly through to them.they told me they didnt know when it would be look at because of a back log due to covid.( explained thats the reason i hadnt rang up before). I asked him if he knew how long the back log was, he said they dont get told the information. Im going to give it another week and ring them back. Hope you get your assesment soon
    tanya2595 said:
    Have you heard anthing yet?
    sarah1977 said:
    naila_007 said:

Hi naila, looks like im a similar waiting time to you. Its my daughters claim as she has turned 16. I rang dwp at the beginning of april to see what was happening, they told me that they sent the paperwork to IAS on the 7th of Jan, the man on the phone put me directly through to them.they told me they didnt know when it would be look at because of a back log due to covid.( explained thats the reason i hadnt rang up before). I asked him if he knew how long the back log was, he said they dont get told the information. Im going to give it another week and ring them back. Hope you get your assesment soon
    Sorry naila, i got yours and tanya post mixed up lol.
    @sarah1977 no I haven’t heard anything yet. I applied on the 17th November 2020 and they got my form on the 15th December 2020 so it’s been 23 weeks tomorrow and still not had a assessment or heard for a date for one yet. 
  • tcellmutationtcellmutation Member Posts: 164 Pioneering
    edited April 26
    Hope someone gets a ongoing 10 year light touch review 
    @tanya2595 & @sarah1977 i got my award on 6th April. I was pleased i got enhanced for both. The assessor was actually very nice and report was on point.
    You have been waiting a long time. My assessor’s were IAS. I did call them a few times. My advice keep chasing them x
    @naila_007 my partner didn’t get chance to ring them today so he’s going to ring them tomorrow to see what’s going on. They just keep saying I’m in a waiting list and should be seen anyway now and then more time passes and nothing. 23 weeks atm I have been waiting and it’s IAS who are doing mine too 
    @tanya2595 rest assured u will get it all backdated.
    tanya2595 said:
    @sarah1977 no I haven’t heard anything yet. I applied on the 17th November 2020 and they got my form on the 15th December 2020 so it’s been 23 weeks tomorrow and still not had a assessment or heard for a date for one yet. 
    Such a long wait tanya. Hope you hear something soon. Ill wait  another few weeks before i ring
  • tcellmutationtcellmutation Member Posts: 164 Pioneering
    My wait thankfully was only 6 weeks
  • Gazz1981Gazz1981 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My mum has been in receipt of the daily living for about a year and a half but her condition has worsened meaning she can no longer walk further than about 10 steps without having to stop and rest. I applied for her to be reassessed. So far its been 18 weeks to hear anything. We have now finally received an appointment for a telephone assessment on 11th May. 
    Gazz1981 said:
    My mum has been in receipt of the daily living for about a year and a half but her condition has worsened meaning she can no longer walk further than about 10 steps without having to stop and rest. I applied for her to be reassessed. So far its been 18 weeks to hear anything. We have now finally received an appointment for a telephone assessment on 11th May. 
    Thank you gazz. Ive also been told, waiting times depends on where you live. I dont know if this is true or not?.  Im from the north west.
  • Gazz1981Gazz1981 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    sarah1977 said:
    Gazz1981 said:
    Thank you gazz. Ive also been told, waiting times depends on where you live. I dont know if this is true or not?.  Im from the north west.
    We heard the same. We are in Doncaster. 
  • ashmceashmce Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I applied on I applied for PIP on the 7th November. I sent my forms back and received 4th December. I got a random call last Monday from an assessor with no appointment who said she can write a report without an assessment just needed to clarify meds. Any ideas how long now until I get an award letter? 
    edited May 3
    ashmce said:
    I applied on I applied for PIP on the 7th November. I sent my forms back and received 4th December. I got a random call last Monday from an assessor with no appointment who said she can write a report without an assessment just needed to clarify meds. Any ideas how long now until I get an award letter? 
    @Tanya2595 have you heard anything yet. Hopefully you wont have long if your havnt. 
    @sarah1977 no I haven’t heard anything yet. My partner didn’t get chance to phone this week so he’s phoning tomorrow for a update. It’s now been just over 24 weeks 
    tanya2595 said:
    @sarah1977 no I haven’t heard anything yet. My partner didn’t get chance to phone this week so he’s phoning tomorrow for a update. It’s now been just over 24 weeks 
    Hopefully you should hear something soon, going of the date from the other post. Fingers crossed 
    @sarah1977 I will update tomorrow with what they say to my partner when he rings. Hoping it’s not going to be too long
  • ashmceashmce Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited May 3
    Hopefully it’ll be soon for everyone. 
    My partner phoned independent assessment service back today. I’m still in the waiting list waiting for someone to look at my claim 
    tanya2595 said:
    My partner phoned independent assessment service back today. I’m still in the waiting list waiting for someone to look at my claim 
    Its disgraceful, the  length of time x
    @sarah1977 I know hopefully I hear something soon. If not I’m not sure how long to wait before my partner should phone back x
    @tanya2595 i rang up in the middle of march, then 2 weeks later, the 2nd time i rang the man on the phone was really off hand saying i has only rang 2 weeks ago, and my answer was alot can happen in 2 weeks 😂....  im not going to ring again for a few weeks, especially since your claim was recieved before mine.
Sign in or join us to comment.