How is the cost of living crisis impacting you? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How is the cost of living crisis impacting you?

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options

Is it true that people who get support based ESA  will get the £650 cost of living  help? People  like me who get contributions based ESA don't get it. Will PIP recipients qualify for the payment?

Those that are claiming Income Related ESA will get the £650 payment. If you're claiming either Contributions based or New style ESA then you won't be entitled to it. If part of your ESA is Income Related then you will receive the payment.
    Those that are claiming PIP/DLA or AA will receive the £150, If they claim certain means tested benefits as well they will receive both payments.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    marion61 said:
    I am over 60 and looking after an my adult daughter with autism, due to covid barely goes out anymore. We were already in debt and now I find I am always watching the smart meter to balance what I can do each day as she always needs to have certain things on for entertainment but I have to make sure that it does not go up too high, so therefore don't always get to do all that I wanted to do each day! On top of this one of my benefits has been reduced recently by £10 each 2 weeks (income support) All I get is the bare minimum of just over £100 per week - only recently been reduced prior to this because I turned 60 and now in receipt of just over £100 per month for a private pension!!!

It's never worth taking a pension drawdown for a weekly/monthly income when claiming any means tested benefits like Income Support because it just reduces the Income Support £1 for £1.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • marion61
    marion61 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
    As I am 60 and it starts at the age of 60 I had no control over it and it started to be paid out from my birthday, this is not an advance but the pension.

• PhilG111
    PhilG111 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    We are rather fortunate that. I had already reviewed our out goings before the latest crises and cut back as much as I could, a few more will be cut in the next month as they come to an end. I also managed to sign up to a two year energy/gas deal with octopus last year, but come next year it will be a massive hike, hopefully they will get something in place to get the energy sorted.
    I question why the increase on energy though? It's the same amount of energy produced mostly in the Uk (give or take) same wind/solar/nuclear etc but somehow it will cost 150%+ more? 
    Gas, I vaguely understand even if we produce our own it's still in Demand for a variety of uses.
  • Louloubell1980
    Louloubell1980 Scope Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    It's so difficult affording bills since the gas and electricity bills doubled. Cost of food going up is making us overdrawn every month and we own lots on credit cards too plus have loans too. It's so difficult especially when my health stopped me working.  Currently on a waiting list for daughter to be assessed for autism plus I'm disabled too. My health conditions means more electricity being used which is so difficult.  Husband called electricity company to say we are struggling to pay the bill but they weren't very helpful giving mixed messages. 
  • Hammers22
    Hammers22 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    I am disabled and suffer extremely bad with my mental health to the extent that I have been having terrible nightmares on a regular basis. My only income is my PIP which I have a motorbility car which is my lifeline to the outside world and to see my family down south. My lovely caring wife who’s be my rock, and of whom is my carer, but she is 73 and has been by my side since my disability through Septicaemia 8 years ago. We are finding it extremely difficult and now have no options other to give my mobility car back and that money will go straight to paying the increases with gas and electricity which means I’ll shall be going back to spending 24/7 in my bedroom. So my outlook, looks very bleak. I cannot speak for my wife but would imagine it being any different too.
    Yours respectfully 
    Hammers22 :) 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing everybody :) 

Hammers22 said:
    I am disabled and suffer extremely bad with my mental health to the extent that I have been having terrible nightmares on a regular basis. My only income is my PIP which I have a motorbility car which is my lifeline to the outside world and to see my family down south. My lovely caring wife who’s be my rock, and of whom is my carer, but she is 73 and has been by my side since my disability through Septicaemia 8 years ago. We are finding it extremely difficult and now have no options other to give my mobility car back and that money will go straight to paying the increases with gas and electricity which means I’ll shall be going back to spending 24/7 in my bedroom. So my outlook, looks very bleak. I cannot speak for my wife but would imagine it being any different too.
    I just wanted to check in with you about your mental health, sorry to hear that you have been having nightmares recently. Are you in contact with anybody such as your GP about your mental health? Is there anybody who is aware and providing support to you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Hammers22
    Options
    I used to be able to get an appointment at my GP the same week but most definitely the week after. For 13 years I had the best support and care from my named GP. Since he retired about a year or so ago I have only been able to get one face to face appointment and a couple of telephone appointments more for the Gp and the practice benefit. I haven seen a GP this year and at the moment at best it’s about 27 days for a telephone appointment? I have been under the Halthemprice Mental Health Team, since 2013, following a nervous breakdown I suffer PTSD since having septicaemia back in 2014. I do have a CPN but to be honest I could be dead. cremated, before my family hear from him. My only saving grace is I do get to see my consultant who saved my life through emergency surgery back in 2014 every 12 weeks, so really No is the answer to your question , I am having to cope in silence and hope one day it’s all been a bad dream or hopefully I’m in heaven.
    Yours respectfully 
  • Marcelabayres
    Marcelabayres Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about what you have been through. My total solidarity to you.
    Concerning the NHS...
  • Hammers22
    Options
    Thank You, for your kind words.
    Yours respectfully 
  • Djorton
    Djorton Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I have a reasonably well paid job, I have two chronic medical conditions. I don’t receive pip and I’m not convinced I’d qualify (I believe I should but both of mine are invisible conditions) 
    I am currently working from home endorsed by my consultant. However I rarely put the heating on as it is, in the winter as it is too expensive. I dread this coming winter as cold certainly exacerbates both illnesses. 
    The rising cost of fuel and food stuffs along with everything else is a huge concern 🥴
  • Louloubell1980
    Louloubell1980 Scope Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    All my disabilities are not visable too. It was so hard fighting for pip but thankfully a charity helped with the appeal process which was then accepted and back dated. But it's so hard affording bills at the moment with all costs going up
  • Hammers22
    Options
    I’m really pleased you got what you rightfully seems you deserve, well done in resourcing a charity to assist you. For 10 years I have been on disability benefit, and then PIP when it changed. For the first five years I didn’t need a re assessment because my consultant and GP confirmed that I was disabled and my outlook would definitely NOT change but would deteriorate has my life goes on. I had to attend an assessment back in 2020 and lost both my higher rates which meant I was going to loose my mobility car. However we appealed with supporting letters from my consultant, CPN, GP, Psychiatrist. I won my appeal which coursed me further stress. My current PiP is up for renewal before November 2023, but now sadly I’m having to come to terms with being in a wheelchair and ten weeks ago loosing my ring finger on my left hand due to the a cancer scare. It really upsets me when I read stories like yours Louloubell, and many others. When are the government going to realise that people such as myself lost my career & £38,000 a year salary, I didn’t ask for this to happen to me and would I rather be working “yes I would”. Good luck one and all.
    Yours respectfully 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Djorton said:
    I have a reasonably well paid job, I have two chronic medical conditions. I don’t receive pip and I’m not convinced I’d qualify (I believe I should but both of mine are invisible conditions) 

Just because you have invisible conditions it doesn't mean you won't be successful in claiming PIP. Lots of people have invisible conditions and claim PIP. We have many members here and i know of quite a few people that also do. My daughter is one of them and she claims Enhanced for both parts.
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities.

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Djorton said:
    I am currently working from home endorsed by my consultant. However I rarely put the heating on as it is, in the winter as it is too expensive. I dread this coming winter as cold certainly exacerbates both illnesses. 
    The rising cost of fuel and food stuffs along with everything else is a huge concern 🥴

Hi Djorton,

I`m ex-military and was medically discharged in 1998.  Following my discharge I was assessed by a medical panel (NHS) and was classed as 70% disabled; you wouldn`t think that looking at me.

I have asthma which, thankfully, is well controlled.  I have lumbar & cervical spondylosis and was recently diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis.  I`m always in pain when I walk, the severity of which can change on a daily basis - but to everyone else "there is nothing wrong with me".

I applied for PIP and received Daily Living at the enhanced rate, but nothing for mobility (which I am contesting).  I, like you, also work from home.

Just because you work and have an "invisible" disability, don`t let that deter you from applying for PIP.  I won`t put the link up, but do a search for "Benefits and work"; they give some very good advice about PIP (and other benefits).  If you sign up to them (£20, sometimes £15), you are given access to guides on how to claim.  These guides show you how simple things help you on a daily basis, but you probably wouldn`t have thought of them in the context of help.

Apply for PIP, the worst that can happen is they say no to both.

Andy
  • Lizzieloo
    Lizzieloo Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    Options
    Hi i am disappointed myself and benfits do not cover the rise of cost of living so i struggle daily with the cost of it all. It hard to keep on top of it all.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,720 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I must admit that I find what is currently being called "a cost of living crisis",difficult, true it's far from an ideal situation but as someone who lived through, power cuts, the 3 day week, no petrol in the garages, inflation over 25% and interest rates around 15% that was a crisis, but compared to the help announced recently no real help back then was offered.
    I believe the problem is that a whole generation has grown up with inflation below what it is today and therein lies the problem anyone under 40 is not used to inflation and it scares them.
    The help that has been announced is all well and good but what will they do to help next year ? because inflation will be with us for most of next year, and fuel prices are set to soar.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lizzieloo
    Lizzieloo Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    Options
    Cant afford to get food much only little so i stay ontop my bills it effecting my mental health with feeling low all the time 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,720 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The danger that looms is what we called "stagflation" a low growth, low wage, high inflation economy that will be in a full blown recession before we know it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This year only one of us can go on holiday and that will be staying free with a family member and rail tickets bought cheaply in advance, I will be staying at home needless to say, no holiday this year.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.