How is the cost of living crisis impacting you? - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How is the cost of living crisis impacting you?

Options

Comments

• Amberpearl
    Amberpearl Community member Posts: 1,214 Pioneering
    Options
    i am eligble yes
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    BrianMcFaddenfan07 Community member Posts: 253 Pioneering
    Options
    At the moment, myself, my fiance and my mum and her lil pomchi cross chihuahu dog are struggling to find a bigger home as we are all currently living in a 1 bedroom flat, which thankfully has all it's bills included, but we're worried about moving as we would need a removals van, and all of the packing things like boxes and other things like that and then there's going to be the skyrocketing bills on top of that.
    Myself and my fiance are on universal credit and my fiance also works part time as a cleaner he works 2 hours a day 6 days a week.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Good afternoon :) 

Scope are trying to find out how families with disabled children are being impacted by the Cost of living crisis.

We’d like to know what issues you are experiencing during the cost of living crisis? What is your primary worry at this time? For example, food, fuel, energy or something else?

This will directly inform what Scope focuses on for upcoming work on this.

@Ross_Scope is there a way to see what Scope are focussing their work on with this? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a question to ask recently people have been worried that they won't get the payments because all of Duddon people are being told on their journals that they are in debt and had over payments that haven't been recovered some of the recoverys they are trying to claim are from years ago  debt management  have had many cases being brought up from as long as 20 years ago they are looking into these cases 

The question I am asking is those people that this has happend to  will debt management take the cost of liveing payments off them to pay the debt 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,677 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s not paid with a UC payment. It’s called the cost of living payment so I can’t see how they can take this for debt repayments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rebelk2
    Rebelk2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

Scope are trying to find out how families with disabled children are being impacted by the Cost of living crisis.

We’d like to know what issues you are experiencing during the cost of living crisis? What is your primary worry at this time? For example, food, fuel, energy or something else?

Recently I was reading this guide about cost of living crises and details in different countries. This is what I believe makes me feel the most down. Even if we protested, I feel like we wouldn't get anywhere. I feel defeated and helpless. Even if a few thousand people demonstrated somewhere, the wealthy wouldn't give a damn. Why should they alter anything when it has no consequences for them? Furthermore, we are unable to boycott because, let's face it, we depend on electricity and heating. They're aware of it. That is the reason behind what they do.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@Ross_Scope is there a way to see what Scope are focussing their work on with this? 
    Thanks for your question :):smile:

The feedback gained from posts like this, along with other research and insight gathered by Scope, will be used to plan campaigning work on the cost of living. Good ways to keep up to date are via our campaigns page, and of course social media such as Twitter and Facebook. I'm sure we will make a post on the online community too if Scope launches a new campaign or other project in relation to this :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    The first payment is due from 14th of July  and is being paid through universal credit so this will be paid on a different day and won't affect any debt repayments  that debt management are collecting though people's  universal credit then ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The first payment is due from 14th of July  and is being paid through universal credit so this will be paid on a different day and won't affect any debt repayments  that debt management are collecting though people's  universal credit then ?

It's not being paid as part of their UC claim, it will be paid separate. No, i can't see that they will take this for any debt because it's to help with the cost of living increases.
    Yes debt management reduce claimants UC payments to pay back any debt owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Thank you poppy 
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    I got my uc money today £324
    So will I get the extra on 14th? 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I got my uc money today £324
    So will I get the extra on 14th? 

It will be paid between the 14th-31st July. So it doesn't mean you will receive it on 14th. It will be paid separately to your usual money.
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    i heard theres a delay on getting the 14th july payments     does it go into my uc account, bank account or british gas accout
  • poppy123456
    Options
    i heard theres a delay on getting the 14th july payments     does it go into my uc account, bank account or british gas accout
    Not sure where you heard that. The first payment of £326 is due between 14th-31st July. It will be paid into your bank account. It has nothing to do with your energy account.
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    How does the government know my bank account details 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    It will be paid into the same bank account that your UC is paid into.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Because yours will be paid by UC and they already know your bank details because you receive money each month. 
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    Oh thank you 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    It gets paid into your bank by universal credit 
  • Kennym2022
    Kennym2022 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Options
    Having to go couple days without food every week sometimes no electric for a day or so and by time anyone contacts you with help it's to late as your next payment has went in.  Also not getting cost if living oayment is kick in the teeth 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.