How is the cost of living crisis impacting you? - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How is the cost of living crisis impacting you?

Options

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Why aren't you getting the cost of living payment @Kennym2022? Could food banks help when you've no food in? 
    It's so sad people are back to the days of choosing between food or electric or just can't afford either :(
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a stressful to be in @Kennym2022 :( Are you claiming all of the benefits to which you're entitled? If you're not sure what you may be eligible to claim, you could try using an online benefits calculator (Turn2Us)

If you're struggling with your energy bills, you could try seeing whether our Disability Energy Support service could be of help. 

We also have some pages on our website about getting free food and using food banks

Do you have any friends or family members in your support network who could help you out during this challenging time?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Kennym2022
    Kennym2022 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Options
    The assessment period for the cost of living right at the start if that month I received holiday pay plus ssp for other few weeks which meant I got no payment that assessment period by time deductions where made which means I don't qualify find it rather ridiculous as I got no money last month cause of it and my ssp has stopped ill be ok as on 20th of July my lcwra starts going in I have pip assessment on next week.  Yes I have been referred for a food bank now by my doctor 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Did you have any other deductions though @Kennym2022 like repaying an advance or money going straight to landlord etc? Because if soyou could still qualify 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,688 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    The assessment period for the cost of living right at the start if that month I received holiday pay plus ssp for other few weeks which meant I got no payment that assessment period by time deductions where made which means I don't qualify find it rather ridiculous as I got no money last month cause of it and my ssp has stopped ill be ok as on 20th of July my lcwra starts going in I have pip assessment on next week.  Yes I have been referred for a food bank now by my doctor 

Did those deductions take into consideration your work allowance at that time? You can check back on your statement and it will tell you if it did or not.
    The work allowance means an amount of earnings will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with the rent the WA will be £344/month, if you don't then it's £573/month. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-work-allowances/universal-credit-work-allowances

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kennym2022
    Kennym2022 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Options
    Work made me take my last 8 days holiday at once was thousand pound I don't get housing benefit as technically living with a friend atm. Yes I no thousand is a lot of money but it has had to last me for over couple months which isn't much when I owe a lot out.  Yes I. Currently paying a budget loan off which they take 24 pound off me and paying an advance which is 13.99 I asked work coach on jounal and said I wouldn't get this payment because I got nothing in the assessment period 26th April to 25th May 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Did you have the 24 pound and the 13.99 taken off you on that statement? 
  • thara9643
    thara9643 Posts: 69 Connected
    Options
    I have not done my nails since January. More recently I have noticed that the overall cost of petrol has increased somewhat. In order to afford the cost of owning Milo, I had to stop all of my non essential shopping trips in town. In other simpler words I no longer visit a local coffee shop once a week for a slice of cake and a interesting and simulating chat. I make tasty cakes at home now in order to help to save me some more money. Since the first ever public nationwide lockdown I have changed my spending habits a lot. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I also changed my spending habits since the lock downs @thara9643 and i still carry on with it. I used to go to the town food shopping at the least 3 times a week and i would be tempted to buy foods that wasn't needed or just pure indulgence. Lock down came and we started to plan our meals and only shopped for food once a week. We have carried this on as we did find it helped us save money.
    It's a shame you have stopped your coffee shop visit though as it sound like you had a nice social occasion there.
  • Amberpearl
    Amberpearl Community member Posts: 1,214 Pioneering
    Options
    Morning 
    Still not had the cost of living payment 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Morning 

You are not the only one. It can be paid anytime up to 31st July. My daughter hasn't had hers yet either.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    I'm. Just a worrier 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I doubt many will have it today as nobody will have been working at the weekend to process it 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I doubt many will have it today as nobody will have been working at the weekend to process it 

Some may have, if payments were processed on Thursday. BACS payments take 3-5 working days to go into your bank. The CoL payment is being administered by central Government, not by DWP.
  • Penybont
    Penybont Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    Morning 

You are not the only one. It can be paid anytime up to 31st July. My daughter hasn't had hers yet either.
    Same here if you phone up my local council and press 0 you get a automated message about the cost of living it stated all letter will be sent out by the end of June. Still no letter or email manage to get them on the phone now they say I have to wait a week for the letter, but still don’t know why a letter was not issued in the first place.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Penybont said:
    Morning 

Same here if you phone up my local council and press 0 you get a automated message about the cost of living it stated all letter will be sent out by the end of June. Still no letter or email manage to get them on the phone now they say I have to wait a week for the letter, but still don’t know why a letter was not issued in the first place.

This is not the cost of living payment because it's not administered by your Local Authority. You are talking about the £150 council tax rebate.
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    BrianMcFaddenfan07 Community member Posts: 253 Pioneering
    Options
    My fiance was double checking my appointment time with my work coach next month and he found a notification on my UC account saying the same thing, but there wasn't any mention of a letter.
    I've had letters from my doctors quicker than I've had them from UC 
  • Penybont
    Penybont Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    Penybont said:
    Morning 

This is not the cost of living payment because it's not administered by your Local Authority. You are talking about the £150 council tax rebate.
    Yes talking about council rebate.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @poppy123456 thanks for correction didn't think about that one very much did I 
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    I need that money I've nothing 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.