How is the cost of living crisis impacting you? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How is the cost of living crisis impacting you?

Options

Comments

• Amberpearl
    Amberpearl Community member Posts: 1,214 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm really struggling 
    I'm on uc 
    I have to rely on food banks to get food 
    Prices have gone up 
    I don't go out unless I'm. Forced to due to anxiety and depression and ptsd

Are you currently claiming either PIP or DLA? If not, have you had a look at the criteria for PIP? This is a good link to have a read of. https://pipinfo.net/

only claiming uc atm     my dwp health assessment is next friday   my 3rd one     scored 0 points few years ago
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    im worried i will score 0 again     im much worse now that i was years ago

ive been up most of the night again due to my bladder issues     plus the nightmares are bad too

i rarly leave the house due to anxiety ptsd and the need for a toilet all the time
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hear that you are worried @Amberpearl. That sounds really difficult. It is understandable that you are finding this tough based on your previous experiences even though you acknowledge that you are much worse now. Is there anything which usually helps you when you are feeling worried? 

It doesn't sound like being up most of the night again due to bladder issues and bad nightmares helps. Have you got the support you need in place for these at the moment and is there anything which might make this feel more manageable for you at the moment?

Similar to not leaving the house due to anxiety and PTSD. How does this make you feel and have you got the support you need in place for this at the moment or would you like more support with this?

Good luck with your DWP health assessment. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or would like some further support with this. Otherwise, we'll look forward to hearing from you when you have the outcome if you would like to share it with us. 

We are all here for you. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    The lady who did my cbt therapy says try anything that makes me feel better when I'm. At my lowest. I said listening to music
    I was reffered to age concern as they do visits to the over 50s now but I thought they were for pensioner's only.  Apparently not 
    I've been put on their waiting list for there be freinding service. They do a telephone service and a home visit apparently and someone can go with you if you go out.  Big waiting list

I don't have any support 
    I live alone 
    I have 3 daughters but rarely see them as they don't live close by

Dr just doubled my dose of ocxybuytin for over active bladder, but its not working. Plus im not keen on being on lots of medication
    I can wake up anythimg between 4 and 18 times a night for the bathroom 
    Plus night sweating and nightmare s
    I even dream of needing the loo 

I'm. Very jumpy and can and have his behind my sofa and shut the curtains if i get very scared 
    Yesterday was windy and just the fact my washing was blowing made me jump out of my skin for a second as I thought someone was there
    I don't leave the house unless I'm. Forced to then I get a taxi 

I don't know how I can get to the assessment centre next Friday afternoon, as I cannot get the bus. Its too much for me
    I can get a taxi as I think the assessment centre refunds fares 
    The local church delivers food bank to me 
    I don't really eat well anyway 

I'm, worried I will score 0 points again
    How can I work like this 
    I cabt function or concentrate and get very little sleep 

Tomorrow is my birthday too 
    Nothing planned. I just cabt leave the house

It's nice to have the good people on this forum to talk too

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,481 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Amberpearl just wanted to say Happy belated birthday, sorry only read the post just now. Plus good luck in your asessment
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    UNISON is saying members have seen a 25% pay cut in 10 years. I am leaving UNISON.
    Is it unison's fault members have seen a 25% pay cut? I don't really know what you mean here sorry
  • bart70
    bart70 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    I thought I was coping but then every time I go shopping my money seems to buy less. Adding the extra cost of gas and electricity plus as I run a mobility car(would be house bound without it) the cost of petrol is putting on the squeeze to where I’m now using a credit card to bridge the gap which of course needs repaying. My only hope will be IF I get this cost of living payment next month I’ll be able to clear the card and reset my limit to bridge my finances. Just not sure how im
    going to cope if things don’t start to drop on price again. 

But a question for anyone in the know. I’m on new style ESA, which it states is not getting the cost of living payment however I also receive UC with the Limited Capability for for and work related activity payment and pip. It does say if you receive other disability benefits then you will get the payment. So will I receive the cost of living payment? I know I’ll get the £150 in September which again will
    help. 
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Hi @Amberpearl just wanted to say Happy belated birthday, sorry only read the post just now. Plus good luck in your asessment
    thank you

i never left the house or saw anyone     
    im scared of the assessment like id be judged
  • Middleton
    Middleton Community member Posts: 137 Courageous
    Options

Good afternoon :) 

Scope are trying to find out how families with disabled children are being impacted by the Cost of living crisis.

We’d like to know what issues you are experiencing during the cost of living crisis? What is your primary worry at this time? For example, food, fuel, energy or something else?

This will directly inform what Scope focuses on for upcoming work on this.

All of the above

• Middleton
    Middleton Community member Posts: 137 Courageous
    Options

Good afternoon :) 

Scope are trying to find out how families with disabled children are being impacted by the Cost of living crisis.

We’d like to know what issues you are experiencing during the cost of living crisis? What is your primary worry at this time? For example, food, fuel, energy or something else?

This will directly inform what Scope focuses on for upcoming work on this.

All of the above

I received very conflicting info regarding my recent award review(i wont get into this here) and now have the horrific feeling ,that if i was to have my PIP  reduced or gone completely.
    I simply wouldn't be able to function, nor survive!

Loss of PIP ,as those in the know, would then have such a major knock on effect,Council tax reduction gone. LWCRA issues etc...

Worsening co morbid, life long health symptoms.

No living parents, and other than one strained person in my life (this poor soul is going through issues themselves) then i personally could not see how i could continue on.
    This is not a hyperbolic comment, but a very real consideration!

To lose benefits, have the same illnesses(symptoms) ,no vehicle, no network of support(would have to ask OT ,social workers, but theyre stretched, + not much they could actually do anyway.

Then whats the option! ... to slowly starve to death, remain frozen throughout the coming winter( when energy costs are going up again)..
    Regrettably some people will be driven to desperate measures.
    Especially those who are already vulnerable, with multiple co morbid conditions .

Having to wait for Tribunals, which can take an age. I can see very bad times ahead for individuals in this situation. All these price hikes, makes disabled people live further in fear, of the benefits process.

Because dwp  do get it wrong, and people are left in limbo for such a long time(Tribunals) how on earth do these people cope.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bart70 said:
     however I also receive UC with the Limited Capability for for and work related activity payment and pip. It does say if you receive other disability benefits then you will get the payment. So will I receive the cost of living payment? I know I’ll get the £150 in September which again will
    help. 

To get the first Cost of Living Payment of £326, you must have been entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of either:

• Universal Credit for an assessment period that ended in the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment
    It doesn't say "other disability benefits". What it says is.. You may get a payment of £650 paid in 2 lump sums of £326 and £324 if you’re getting any of the following:
    • Universal Credit
    • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Income Support
    • Pension Credit

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    Will I get the payment 
    I've been on uc 2 yrs
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Will I get the payment 
    I've been on uc 2 yrs

Yes, you will receive the £650 payment. First payment of £326 will be in July. Second payment of £324 will be sometime in the Autumn but it hasn't annouced when exactly it will be yet.
    You will also receive the £400 energy grant.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Amberpearl
    Options
    Really? Does it go into my bank account or into British gas account 
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Really? Does it go into my bank account or into British gas account 

The £326 and £324 will go into your bank. The £400 will be paid into your energy account. Or if you have prepayment meter then it will either be paid straight onto there or you will receive a vocuher. It won't be paid as one whole amount, it's likely to be smaller amount paid over about 6 months. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496

• Amberpearl
    Options
    I don't have a pre payment meter 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don't have a pre payment meter 

Then it will be added to your energy account over a period of 6 months.
  • Penybont
    Penybont Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    Penybont said:
    I'm assuming you didn't score any points for mobility?

there two issues I have here the first is I did not need any points in mobility to get the bus pass in 2018. The second issue is with pip the disability I have is ankylosis spondylitis which is a mobility issue yet from what I know they give me 0 points in mobility need to find out why.

If you were entitled to the bus pass previously, did you have a mobility award then? According to Mike the rules haven't changed at all.
    May i ask when was the decision made on your PIP claim? If it was within the past 13 months you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration on that but you will need to state your reasons why you didn't request this within the first month. Do also bear in mind that PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. 

The same information I provided now for the buss pass is the same information they asked for in 2018 for the bus pass. So how Mike can say the rules have no changed when I can prove they have changed since.

• Amberpearl
    Options
    The cost of living payment is it taxed or taken offmy benefits 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The cost of living payment is it taxed or taken offmy benefits 

You do not need to apply. If you’re eligible, you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you usually get your benefit or tax credits. The payments will be made separately from your benefit or tax credits.

These payments are not taxable and will not affect the benefits or tax credits you get.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.