Cost of Living Payment - useful information - Page 8 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cost of Living Payment - useful information

Options

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use 8 pints of milk a week, or just under,  cereal and endless hot drinks and for cooking.  plus when grandkids come over they use alot. I think I pay roughly 1.80 for 4 pints 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     An increase in for example milk of 30p is hardly the end of the world as 2 pints will last most people a week. 
    Are you sure about that? Just because it lasts you a week it doesn’t mean everyone else is the same. The same as your shopping bill each week, everyone will be different. 
    There’s only 2 in my house and I use 4 pints a week. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Maurice123
    Maurice123 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Options
    @Sandy_123
    Hi Sandy,
    Yes you are paying about £0.30p more a week. All my supermarket milks cost £1.55 for 4 pints. I was paying £1,10
    for 2pints now £1.25  Again in my case 30p more. The other day I paid £10 for six Gressingham duck breasts, just over £1,50 per breast representing six very filling meals. all vegetables are very cheap eg £0.95 for a very large cauliflower which makes two meals of cauliflower cheese, using pre grated cheese which is .much cheaper than a block and a half pint of milk. Total cost about £1.70 for two good meals. Plus electricity minimal, cooking time say
    30p making the whole cost £2.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yeah I think if your catering for a family then the cost is doubled, trebled and also the fuel. 
  • Padraig
    Padraig Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    We’re all subject to the same energy price hikes which we’re purely profit orientated, not because of cost or scarcity. The energy companies made more profit last year than ever before. You think they would celebrate and be content with that incredible outcome. But no through sheer greed they have doubled their prices. It’s a shame we don’t have a government in place to protect us from such an unjustifiable hike on a controlled market.

Regarding food I now buy in bulk when something is on offer to get the best deal. An Aldi has opened 1/2 a mile from where I live and doing a weekly shop there is a 1/3 cheaper than my usual Morrisons shop and nearer!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    The fact is expenses have gone up and most people money hasn't. It's simple mathematics. Lots of people were struggling before the COL crisis so things have gotten worst. It's true that plenty of people are managing perfectly fine especially if their expenses were already low, but that's not the case for other people. I'm lucky I only got awarded PIP last December so my money has doubled plus I live extremely cheaply, and don't own a car or buy electronics and my kids live separately to me but again some people have cars, mortgages, kids and don't have extra finances.
  • Puja
    Puja Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you for sharing Sue
    My Pronouns are (She/Her & They/Them)

I have lived experience of ND conditions, chronic pain, mental health & well-being, PIP, ESA, employment and benefits. 

😊 Why not fundraise for SCOPE for free while you shop online 💜💛 🎅🏻 💷💸 🍯💻 📱🛒 🛍️ 📦 

SCOPE ebay shop (online)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    Hi guys wondering if someone could answer my question :) I receive both uc ( lcwra) and PIP I have already received both cost of living payments but just wondering if I'm entitled to anything else? I see people on pip can receive £150 am I entitled to this? Can you receive both payments? Thank you 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes you should have got the PIP £150 if you were claiming PIP back in May this year. Do you know when your PIP began?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi guys wondering if someone could answer my question :) I receive both uc ( lcwra) and PIP I have already received both cost of living payments but just wondering if I'm entitled to anything else? I see people on pip can receive £150 am I entitled to this? Can you receive both payments? Thank you 
    To be entitled to the £150 then you must have received a payment (or later receive a payment) qualifying benefits ( PIP) for 25 May 2022 to get the payment.
    When did your PIP claim start? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    To be entitled to the £150 then you must have received a payment (or later receive a payment) qualifying benefits ( PIP) for 25 May 2022 to get the payment.
    When did your PIP claim start? 
    Hi.. I claimed for pip in January and received my first payment and back pay in June/July.. Hope this helps 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bobbie99
    Bobbie99 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi find totally unbelievable the incumbents and institutions cannot care less about disable people and the necessity they have to look after their health, having to live on the margin of society, as all the money and more go for bills and we do not have anything left to eat, keep warm not to mention enjoy a bit our life. That's why so many struggle mentally. I am setting up a campaign on this and we need to participate all to make the difference. I am not sure if you are aware that Sunak is withdrawing by the human right convention.
  • kittykat55
    kittykat55 Scope Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Options
    Bobbie99 said:
    Hi find totally unbelievable the incumbents and institutions cannot care less about disable people and the necessity they have to look after their health, having to live on the margin of society, as all the money and more go for bills and we do not have anything left to eat, keep warm not to mention enjoy a bit our life. That's why so many struggle mentally. I am setting up a campaign on this and we need to participate all to make the difference. I am not sure if you are aware that Sunak is withdrawing by the human right convention.
    I completely agree with you, my husband and I are both disabled and have had to max out all our credit cards just to buy food , we rarely put our heating on and struggle to buy food now.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Struggling to get the food you need must be really tough. We have a page on accessing free food and food banks, which you might find helpful to read. This includes some information on getting free or cheap food without a referral, as well as a with a referral.

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Bobbie99
    Options
    Hi Hannah,

Thank you for suggestions. It will come handy!
    Furthermore for disable people should DWPO should release a CARD linked to our NINO where can be easily check if we are a true disable or not without having to beg for discounts.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Bobbie99 said:
    Hi Hannah,

Thank you for suggestions. It will come handy!
    Furthermore for disable people should DWPO should release a CARD linked to our NINO where can be easily check if we are a true disable or not without having to beg for discounts.

I don't understand why you think someone's NI number should be linked to someone being disabled.
  • Bobbie99
    Options
    Hi Hannah,

Because quite few disables get some sorts of benefit and DWP think we are fraudsters and unfortunately this narrative has been often amplified by the MEDIA. In fact they give wide resonance to the rotten apples who fraud, but they never mention that disability allowance, PIP etc... make people starving . Those in government are so filthy rich they could never understand the struggle of those who do not have enough to warm their home or to buy food. In addition with have a law made on purpose to push you out of work, therefore if we do not find a good soul to hire us , our destiny is forever starvation and a rapid deterioration of our health. How fair this can be? 

It seems to me incumbents approach is "heard immunity" where survival is only an option for the strongest, the wealthiest,..etc... for the rest of us we can, sooner rather than later succumb, one person less to pay disability, benefit/pension, NHS, care, ......
  • johnsonplaid
    johnsonplaid Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I read your post. It is very informative and helpful to me. 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,975 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am dreading the new year. Our landlord has put up our rent by £280 I already barely cope having to add £100 to top-up the rent. It’s going to leave me with choosing bills and feeding the meters or food. And I won’t not pay bills. It’s on my mind 24/7. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.