Cost of Living Payment - useful information - Page 7 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cost of Living Payment - useful information

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Padraig said:

Is the LCWRA  subject to NI contributions or means tested? Is it something I could claim now on top of my DLA for which I receive the higher component in both? I forgot to mention I get a basic contribution towards my NI/pension as well but can’t remember the correct name for it as I incorrectly called it pension credit before.

LCWRA is part of Universal Credit (UC) and has nothing to do with NI contributions. UC is a means tested benefit just like the old legacy benefits such as ESA/JSA and Income Support. The only difference is that UC is one benefit with many elements.
    The only issue with claiming UC is that you'll be classed as a job seeker until a decision on your work capability assessment assessment says otherwise. It's a work coaches discretion whether they turn off or reduce commiments, some do and others don't.
    For your NI contributions i'm assuming that your ESA remained as a credits only claim.
    As you are not named on the tenacy agreement then i'm unsure if UC will include help with any rent. Is there anyway you can add your name to the agreement?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Padraig said:
    Is the LCWRA  subject to NI contributions or means tested? Is it something I could claim now on top of my DLA for which I receive the higher component in both? I forgot to mention I get a basic contribution towards my NI/pension as well but can’t remember the correct name for it as I incorrectly called it pension credit before.
    LCWRA is part of UC. It is established by having a Work Capability Assessment which is exactly as the same as the process for establishing entitlement to being in the Support Group for ESA. It has nothing to NI contributions. 

Do you mean that you are still getting NI credits due to having been in ESA Support Group. If so you should be entitled to the extra LCWRA money from the start of any UC claim (but it might time them a while to sort it out). You should disclose your health condition when claiming UC. You should get a Fit Note from your GP to support your claim. You should inform UC that you are getting to NI credits because of already having been assessed to have LCWRA.

By default you are expected to claim UC online but if you cannot do that you can claim by phone. You can get help claiming
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/help-to-claim/

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Padraig
    Padraig Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    @poppy123456 and @calcotti

Thank you both for your time and input. I must admit the U/C system still seems straightforward in some areas but others quite complicated to me and some of the criteria open to interpretation. I shall read the links you have both supplied and try and get up to speed. Many thanks.
  • Maurice123
    Maurice123 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Options
    @calcotti and @Padraig
    I cannot believe the difficulties that you are describing for others. The cost of renting in the West country is about 
    £700-£1000 and there are good hospital facilities. Do not go to Cornwall. Too many people have gone to Cornwall for their holidays and think that it is a good place to retire to. It is not. The social services are completely overwhelmed.
    However North Devon is still capable of delivering services except in obscure country areas. You need to move to receive better benefits. If you do not want to, and if you do not have family reasons why? The people I read about on screen have no friends but great problems with DWP and local issues. Apart fro the obvious difficulties in a move, but I think a combination of social services and council help could pay for those. It must be easier in my area than the other extremely expensive areas that people insist on living in. My area is much cheaper and very pleasant to live in than say areas on the fringes of London. If you say that you have to live in London because of the facilities I do not believe you. It is your fault if you complain about lack of money. You need to move. People are genuinely friendly in the West Country. i cannot say they are in the London area. If you think they are and still complain about lack of money then I have no sympathy. It is your hands to solve your problem.
  • calcotti
    Options
    The reason many people live in London is in order to work. I have never wanted to live in London and never have.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poptato
    poptato Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited October 2022
    Options
  • Amberpearl
    Amberpearl Community member Posts: 1,214 Pioneering
    Options
    When can I get the, warm home discount 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Scope has some information on the Warm Home Discount here @Amberpearl which I hope is helpful for you :) 

Let us know if you've still got any questions, and we'll see if we can help.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Maurice123
    Options
    This comment does not apply to the many people on this site who are struggling to cope with their disabilities and
    lack of money.
    However I would like to make a comment about those non disabled people who say they cannot cope and need to be given more money by the government. Why in that case have food prices NOT gone up since May 2nd 2022. I have my Tesco receipts since then and I can prove to any doubter my figures.

Prices @ 2/5/2022 for 25 items including milk and eggs     £67.80
                 20/10/2022 for same 25 items........................    £68.10  as of Tesco.

You could probably buy some of these items cheaper. I have included sirloin steak, chicken (1.2kg), and jumbo prawns, as well as salmon fillets. But the point I am making is that those people who say they cannot afford to eat are lying if they have this money to pay for food. They were paying it in May this year, how is it they cannot afford it now?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When can I get the, warm home discount 

The criteria for this has changed this year and you do not need to apply if you live in England or Wales. If you qualify you will be contacted and it will be added to your energy account. There's some details here. https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/warm-home-discount/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    This comment does not apply to the many people on this site who are struggling to cope with their disabilities and
    lack of money.
    However I would like to make a comment about those non disabled people who say they cannot cope and need to be given more money by the government. Why in that case have food prices NOT gone up since May 2nd 2022. I have my Tesco receipts since then and I can prove to any doubter my figures.

You could probably buy some of these items cheaper. I have included sirloin steak, chicken (1.2kg), and jumbo prawns, as well as salmon fillets. But the point I am making is that those people who say they cannot afford to eat are lying if they have this money to pay for food. They were paying it in May this year, how is it they cannot afford it now?

Sorry but just because your shopping hasn't increased it doesn't mean someone else's hasn't! It's not just about food bills either, Energy/fuel prices have also increased.
  • Rachel31
    Rachel31 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    I agree the increase in food shopping is very high and many people are struggling with the cost of living especially gas and energy bills which are ridiculous for those on benefits and low income 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    lack of money.

I really enjoy reading most of your posts @Maurice123 but to say people are liars with such conviction is just appalling. Just because the 25 items you buy haven't increased in price, doesn't mean the other 10000+ items in stores haven't. Is it so inconceivable that they buy different items than you?
    I can assure you a lot of my shopping has increased in price. It may only be a few pence on some items but others quite significantly. There's also been a number of foods and packages that have decreased in size and others where the lower price and value brands have been removed entirely. For example I was paying 22p for noodles back in March but now the cheapest option in my shop is 55p. That's over a 100% increase, on one item.

Plus as Poppy123456 briefly covered, all other bills have increased. So people's budget for food has understandably gotten smaller.

You also may be forgetting that people were struggling in May too.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    ONS CPI statistics have food inflation at 14.5% for the last 12 months up to September.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/latest#notable-movements-in-prices
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry @Maurice123 I am going to disagree with you on this matter, 
    example my youngest son, him and his wife have three school age children, they have two cars, which they both have to use for work. So they have the extra increase on running two cars, feeding a growing family and cooking/heating there home, i think you might be feeling better of because you are only feeding yourself.
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    The £150 payment is it one per household or per person?? I have looked and so far not found the answer, I had mine, partner has not, already done the missing payment claim, heard nothing so far.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The £150 payment is it one per household or per person?? I have looked and so far not found the answer, I had mine, partner has not, already done the missing payment claim, heard nothing so far.
    1 per claim. Your partners will come in due course.
  • Middleton
    Middleton Community member Posts: 137 Courageous
    Options
    lack of money.

Quite a short sighted comment...along with your other one.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    edited November 2022
    Options
    lack of money.

I know where I live the price of milk especially has gone through the roof, my shopping costs have increased by 30% since may, luckily I can cover the expense but not everyone can. As for my Electricity it used to be £30 a week in the winter, it's now £65. Extortionate.How people on basic UC or ESA is managing is beyond comprehension. Everyone is struggling at the moment.
  • Maurice123
    Options
    @Middleton
    Could you explain why you think my comment short sighted. Is it because you think my prices are wrong or
    because you think inflation is soaring? I was referring to food shopping. I am one of thee people who decided when I moved here to stay on the existing prepayment electricity meter. Why do you think that over 2 million out of the 4 million people in England with them have not collected their grants yet. We all went out and filled up our keys before the end of September. Mine is only running out now. Smart meters let the electricity companies mess around with direct debits and enable them to alter prices on a whim. An increase in for example milk of 30p is hardly the end of the world as 2 pints will last most people a week. Yes there are some people on very low incomes but mine is well below the national average and I am coping fine.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.