Cost of Living Payment - useful information — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cost of Living Payment - useful information

Options
Sue_Alumni
Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
edited June 2023 in Cost of living
Hi, we have been receiving a lot of posts asking for information about the cost of living payment. The cost of living payment is a term that relates to a payment that is made if you are receiving certain benefits and tax credits.  There are up to 3 different types of payments depending on your circumstances.  You could be entitled to all, some or none depending on your circumstances. The three types of payment are:-
  • a cost of living payment if you get a qualifying low income benefit
  • a disability cost of living payment
  • a pensioner cost of living payment 

You may be able to get other kinds of support, including:-:

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for creating this thread @Sue_Scope. I can imagine it might be helpful for a lot of our community members  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Sue_Scope! Thank you for sharing this valuable piece of information. I sense this will be a lifeline for some families ❤️ 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Padraig
    Padraig Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    @Sue_Scope

Hi! Thanks for this useful information 😀 How do you apply for the disability cost of living payment? Is it through Gov.com?

many thanks 💚☘️
  • Padraig
    Options
    @Sue_Scope

Please disregard above (apart from thanks!) As found link to Gov.com. I should qualify under pension credits and be paid by 31 July - today!  Will give it a couple of days then email them.

thanks again!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The payment for pensioners (£300) will be later in the year as will the payment for disabled (£150).
    Those who qualify for the £324 by 31st July should have been paid by now, except in a small number of more complicated cases (so they say)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Padraig
    Options
    @woodbine
    Thank you fotr the information. As the 31st of July is a Sunday I’m hoping that I will get it as disabled and I receive the pension credit qualifier.  I shall share this with friends as I’m sure many know nothing about it. Though I prefer to stay away from the DWP as I’m afraid I don’t have a lot of faith in them.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Padraig said:
    @woodbine
    Thank you fotr the information. As the 31st of July is a Sunday I’m hoping that I will get it as disabled and I receive the pension credit qualifier.  I shall share this with friends as I’m sure many know nothing about it. Though I prefer to stay away from the DWP as I’m afraid I don’t have a lot of faith in them.

If you still haven't received it and are definitely entitled to it then there's now information on how to report the missed payment. See link and follow the instructions. https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/report-a-missing-cost-of-living-payment/welcome

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Padraig
    Options
    @poppy123456

hi Poppy thank you so much for the link I shall definitely be using it. You have saved be considerable time and brain power!

Bright Blessings

Patrick
  • Floydiee1995
    Floydiee1995 Community member Posts: 112 Courageous
    Options

Taken from a thread i started about COL payment as I didn't receive the first payment. Hope this can help others like it did me. Glad i went and got it checked. 

"Hey guys had a very interesting update this morning regarding the COL payment. As you advised I had missed out by 1 day! Well.... before i actually wrote this on the forum there is a way now because after the deadline of first payments to be sent, to query why you didn't get it. I am very glad i did this because i received this letter this morning stating: 

You told us you have not received the £326 Cost of Living Payment for Universal Credit, but think you should have done. We have looked into your enquiry and can see you did not receive the Cost of living payment. We have reviewed your claim and can confirm that you are entitled, because you had an entitlement to Universal Credit between 26 April and 25 May. This means you will get the Cost of Living payment in September. It will automatically go into the account you most recently provided details for."
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this hear @Floydiee1995 that's very helpful, I'm hopeful it will help others as well :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Padraig
    Options
    Hi, has anyone received this allowance who has not been transferred to Universal credit or PiP or know if applies to old system?

I am still on tax credits and DLA.

Have emailed DWP but no reply yet.

Thank you.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Padraig

Unfortunately, this is not an area I have experience with. Hopefully, someone with experience in this area will be able to respond to you soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to respond to say we hear you and your post has been seen!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

• Padraig
    Options
    @L_Volunteer

hi👋

Appreciate feedback, system is nuts! I’m sure I’m not the only one with this issue and someone will comment or DWP grind into action eventually!

thanks P💚☘️ 
  • dillyg29
    dillyg29 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi my sons first assessment period for UC started on 12th may to 10th June but he did not receive COL payment, will he still be able to claim ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Padraig said:
    Hi, has anyone received this allowance who has not been transferred to Universal credit or PiP or know if applies to old system?

Have emailed DWP but no reply yet.

Thank you.

Those that are claiming tax credits you will receive the first payment of £326 in September is the following applies.

To get the first Cost of Living Payment of £326, you must have received, or later receive, for any day in the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022:

• a payment of tax credits
    • an annual award of at least £26 of tax credits
    For the DLA the £150 will also be paid in September, the same applies to those claiming PIP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    dillyg29 said:
    Hi my sons first assessment period for UC started on 12th may to 10th June but he did not receive COL payment, will he still be able to claim ?

He hasn't received it because he's not entitled to the first payment of £326. To be entitled you must have received or been entitled to a payment of UC for an assessment period that ended between 26th April and 25th May and his ended outside of that timescale. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

• Padraig
    Options
    @poppy123456

Thanks for taking the time to create the link (I’m a bit of an IT ludite despite being an IT trainer in 1999/2000, things have changed so much) I must work out how to put link in as so useful.

The site says I’m entitled to two payments based on DLA and Pension credit if applied for by August. But they use the payment date followed by ‘most people’.

Bet they don’t have that flexibility with MP’s expenses!

So it’s a bit suck it and see as I emailed them about ten days ago.

Good job those with disabilities don’t suffer from low income or stress relating to government policies!🤣

Thank you for posting 👍😁
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Padraig said:

The site says I’m entitled to two payments based on DLA and Pension credit if applied for by August. But they use the payment date followed by ‘most people’.

In the above comment you said you're claiming tax credits at the moment. Pension credit can't be claimed if you're of working age.
    Padraig said:

Can you please confirm whether it's Tax credits or Pension credit you're claiming?

• Padraig
    Options
    I receive tax credits by being jointly assessed with my wife and have had pension credit in the form of my NI contributions being paid by DWP who on their paperwork call it pension credit.

Perhaps your more informed and could please explain your conclusions to me. In simple terms please as my cognitive function is not what it used to be. I simply go by what DWP inform me.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Pension credit is a means tested benefit that is claimed by those of state pension age and above. If you and your wife are of working age then you will not be claiming pension credit. Are either of you state pension age?

As you're claiming tax credits then you'll receive the first CoL payment in September, as advised here.

Those that are claiming tax credits you will receive the first payment of £326 in September is the following applies.

To get the first Cost of Living Payment of £326, you must have received, or later receive, for any day in the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022:

• a payment of tax credits
    • an annual award of at least £26 of tax credits
    For the DLA the £150 will also be paid in September, the same applies to those claiming PIP.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.