If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is coffeetable! 0 points awarded on my PA4 form

Options
124»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not good to request the SOR and ROP if you're not planning on trying to find the error in law. It's a lot of extra work for the judge to do and you should really only request them if you're planning on taking this further. 

There's no right or wrong words you should use when filling out any forms. Just tell it how it is and include those real world examples. 

Rather than request both of those, which probably isn't going to help you going forward, it would have been so much better for you to have done some research to try to understand the PIP descriptors and what they mean a little better than you do. It really does help to have some understanding. 

I'm not saying you don't qualify but there are some people with disabilities that don't because if you don't meet the descriptors you won't score enough of points needed for an award. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • coffeetable
    coffeetable Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    I understand assessments can be complex, and I'd appreciate some guidance on how to best present my situation. English isn't my first language, and I sometimes struggle to express myself clearly. For example, I experience fatigue and breathlessness throughout the day. Previously, I misunderstood fatigue for dizziness, so I didn't mention it during my assessment. Additionally, during the tribunal, when asked if I cook independently, I said yes due to anxiety. However, arthritis actually prevents me from cooking. My doctor has diagnosed me with severe anxiety and prescribed antidepressants, which I didn't mention at the tribunal either.  Unfortunately, my anxiety significantly impacted my ability to communicate effectively during the tribunal.  I plan to use an interpreter in the future. (I use AI to correct my grammar for all the posts posted in this forum)
  • TheManFromLondon
    TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 269 Pioneering
    Options
    @coffeetable If you dont understand English 100% and cant be accurate with what you say at a court, for whatever reasons, you need someone with you to represent you, and maybe even a translator. Because what you put on paper and say at a hearing with a Judge, stays. I am certain this is the case in your country too (btw I am a foreigner too).

I believe on the matter of language barrier and fit to be at the hearing you must have agreed and made a declaration when you filed the appeal.

There is no going back from that,
  • coffeetable
    coffeetable Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    I'm filing a fresh application and outlining all the challenges I'm facing. Clear communication is key. I'm following the terminology recommended by YouTuber Charlie Anderson, whose article was featured on Daily Mail. While everyone experiences conditions that affect daily life, not everyone qualifies for PIP. The key is to explain your situation using the descriptors outlined by the DWP. In my previous application, I may have unintentionally missed following these descriptors. For example, I have IBS and spend more time in the toilet than a typical adult and need assistance getting up due to arthritis. If I don't mention using a grip bar( which I use it) to stand, I might lose points.  In my initial application, I mentioned the difficulties I had using the toilet and with arthritis, but I didn't specifically mention the grip bar. Clear communication and using DWP terminology are crucial. i thought i would qualify for points if i have arthritis, but defining or explaining how it affects by using the key words or terminology is what I need.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,546 Scope online community team
    Options
    Glad you've found something you're finding helpful @coffeetable

Just be sure to balance your YouTube research with lots of reputable advice from different sources too. I don't know much about this particular Youtuber, but it's always good to double check anything you watch with some other advice to make sure you're getting the right information. I think Poppy might have suggested this earlier, but if you need some extra help, there are often organisations that can help support you locally. They might be able to help you understand the descriptors in more detail if you need some extra support with this. Just something to think about, anyway :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.