Why have PIP done 2 assessments in a week? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum

Why have PIP done 2 assessments in a week?

2»

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,168

Scope community team

Hi @sarah1986. How are you getting on? Have you heard anything more? 

mikehughescq said:
    One of the incredible features of the introduction of UC has been the loss of decision makers from PIP to UC and that’s especially true of special rules where the 10 day processing has largely been abandoned as staff moved over. The lack of publicity over this is nothing short of a scandal.
    I'm really interested in reading more about this Mike, do you have any stats? The only thing I've been able to find indicated that the median time has been pretty consistent and in Jan was 4 days. Although it is very possible I've misinterpreted the data.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,795 Disability Gamechanger
    I always use this @Adrian_Scope but I think it tells you what you already know really at present. DWP insist there is no issue. The stats. suggest there is no issue. Anecdotally we know there are issues.

- people applying via Special Rules and being told that they don't apply to them!
    - consultants DS1500s being over-ruled by DWP as a source of accurate information.
    - Special Rules claims taking more than a month or two to be determined. 
    - Special Rules cases being reviewed well inside the usual 3 year timescale and removed from Special Rules without justification. 

Quite staggering stuff really but the scale is hard to judge

Outside of the bare stats and the anecdotal stuff I have been in a number of meetings over the past 8 years with some very senior DWP staff (including Neil Couling) and it was made very clear that, for example, managers within PIP were being moved to UC and thus PIP decision quality checking went out the window for a period when that happened.

There was then a second move of decision making staff from PIP to UC and you can pretty much plot such moves against obvious slow downs in the DLA to PIP conversion process. Finally there was the infamous Maria Miller comment about the intent of PIP being to decrease the DLA budget by 20%. Lots of weird justifications were given for that and she and others did their best to deny the comment was ever made despite it being a matter of public record; widely reported at the time and returning to haunt us periodically as yet another review of PIP is launched etc. Eventually it came out that the specific reason that they wanted 20% off the PIP budget was explicitly to pay for UC. 

As the pandemic hit then of course record claims for UC were made. The management of this has been widely touted as a success but, if you momentarily accept that it was a "success" in the broadest, loosest sense, then that was achieved by... shifting staff out of other services. I was led to believe as part of an informal discussion during part of an un-related meeting that lowering the priority of PIP change of circs. was one way to address this move but nevertheless there had been direct hits on the ability to process and pay Special Rules amongst other things. 

One could be exceptionally cynical and suggest that was a service quality hit that government and DWP would accept as who would be around to challenge such delays. However, at present the issue is getting the basic data to back up the feeling that something is amiss. 

I believe there are a few FOIs in the pipeline to try and clarify some of this. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,336 Disability Gamechanger
    I always use this 
    I confess I have never managed to navigate the DWP statistics to find the information that would be useful!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,795 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 24
    Entirely understandable. They’re getting better at accessible stuff but still not great. I spent two hours yesterday helping with their next revision of the online Pension Credit claim and it was surprising how much information I end up giving them which to me ought to be obvious but apparently wasn’t.
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

I always use this @Adrian_Scope but I think it tells you what you already know really at present. DWP insist there is no issue. The stats. suggest there is no issue. Anecdotally we know there are issues.
    Thanks @mikehughescq, I appreciate the detailed reply. I've raised it with our policy team to explore.
    Community Manager
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

calcotti said:
    I confess I have never managed to navigate the DWP statistics to find the information that would be useful!
    I have to agree, they're not the easiest to navigate!
    Community Manager
    Scope

• sarah1986
    sarah1986 Member Posts: 37 Listener
    @Adrian_Scope I spoke with the welfare rights yesterday he is now my rep so I'm not as stressed about it, he is ringing the assessor's today and then pip to find out why two assessment's ave been done when that shouldn't happen, so hopefully tomorrow I will get some answer.
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

I’m really glad you’ve managed to get someone from Welfare Rights to rep you @sarah1986. Hopefully you hear something very soon - please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.