2021 waiting time for assessment - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

2021 waiting time for assessment

Comments

• sarah1977
    sarah1977 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    tanya2595 said:
    @sarah1977 no I haven’t heard anything yet. My partner didn’t get chance to phone this week so he’s phoning tomorrow for a update. It’s now been just over 24 weeks 
    Hopefully you should hear something soon, going of the date from the other post. Fingers crossed 
  • tanya2595
    tanya2595 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    @sarah1977 I will update tomorrow with what they say to my partner when he rings. Hoping it’s not going to be too long
  • ashmce
    ashmce Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited May 2021
    Hopefully it’ll be soon for everyone. 
  • tanya2595
    My partner phoned independent assessment service back today. I’m still in the waiting list waiting for someone to look at my claim 
  • sarah1977
    tanya2595 said:
    My partner phoned independent assessment service back today. I’m still in the waiting list waiting for someone to look at my claim 
    Its disgraceful, the  length of time x
  • tanya2595
    @sarah1977 I know hopefully I hear something soon. If not I’m not sure how long to wait before my partner should phone back x
  • sarah1977
    @tanya2595 i rang up in the middle of march, then 2 weeks later, the 2nd time i rang the man on the phone was really off hand saying i has only rang 2 weeks ago, and my answer was alot can happen in 2 weeks ?....  im not going to ring again for a few weeks, especially since your claim was recieved before mine.
  • sarah1977
    Hi @tanya2595 have you heard anything yet?. I read a post on here somewhere last week that their forms were in middle dec 2020, have they had a phone call. X
  • tanya2595
    @sarah1977 I haven’t heard anything as of yet. It’s now been 26 weeks. I’m hoping to hear back in the next two weeks otherwise my partner is going to ring back up for another update x
  • Gazz1981
    Gazz1981 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Update. Mum had her assessment on 11th May 2021. This was a reassessment and has been on lower raye PIP for about 2 years but her health has deteriorated rapidly over this time. This was one of the worst experiences for mum and I found the process hard to listen to without losing my patience. A female health professional called and began asking a series of questions about mums health but then refused to listen to the answer. Every time mum tried to speak she spoke over her and said 'Thats not relevant'. It didnt matter how she tried to answer they did not want to record mums answer. She kept asking hyperthetical questions and expecting her to answer. One eg: If you go to the supermarket how long are you in there walking around? Mum said 'I dont go to the supermarket because I cant walk more that a couple of steps at any time. My son does all my shopping'. The heath professional replied 'I know what you said but, hyperthetically if you could go, how long would you walk round for?' she asked the same question 5 times before I intervened and told her it was impossible to give any further ther answer because its not something she does because she cant walk and wouldnt put herself in a vulnerable position by going to a supermarket and attemp to walk round. The health professional then got very stroppy with me and said she had to ask the questions. Throughout the process the same questions were asked time and time again. I felt like they do this to try and catch you out. I also felt like they were trying to put words into my mums mouth. On the few occasions my mum did manage to speak, what she said was not recorded at all and it was only recorded when I intervened. Mum falls on a weekly basis and has caused herself quite bad injuries over the last year or so. The health professional said it wasn't relevant. I questioned why it wasn't and again had to explain that it was very relevant and needed to be recorded. By the end mum was in tears. She was made to feel like she was a fraud. The whole experience was awful. Im not sure if we just got a useless health professional on the day, because I have heard some good stories. But unfortunately mums is not one of them. We are playing the waiting game again now and have been told it should be 8 weeks before we hear back with the outcome.

The whole experience of reassessment has not been a pleasant one. From the initial call, when the male operator asked her if she was sure she wanted to be reassessed because if she 'Gets cold feet' halfway through she would lose what she already gets. I said 'what do you mean if she get cold feet, shes a poorly women that needs a reassessment'. 

Then the waiting and now this experience.

The Dwp should be ashamed of how they treat people with disabilities or ill health in this country. 

I will update when we get an outcome.

Please dont take our experience as being the norm and if you have read this please dont let it worry you for your assessment. Im hoping that this is a one off and you get treated better.

Good luck to everone for future assessments. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @Gazz1981

Sorry to hear the assessment didn't go as you'd hoped.  How is your mum now a week on from it? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Gazz1981
    Gazz1981 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for the update @Gazz1981

Sorry to hear the assessment didn't go as you'd hoped.  How is your mum now a week on from it? 
    She just wishes she hadn't bothered with the process. I believe that is how they want you to feel. 
  • fonz
    fonz Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Here’s an update on my pip claim. It’s been 36 weeks today and I received a call from a healthcare professional this morning who said she would be writing a report based on my paperwork and that I don’t need a telephone assessment but she needed some more information. It was a 20 minute call and she asked me a few questions and she was very nice to talk to. Fingers crossed it doesn’t take much longer but I’m expecting it will take up to 8 more weeks based on what I have read. Everyone who is still waiting I hope you here something soon.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @fonz thanks for sharing this and fingers crossed for good outcome and that the wait is nearly over 
  • sarah1977
    @fonz thats great news... 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the update @fonz -  pleased the healthcare professional was pleasant, & will be writing your report up. Yes it can take about 8 weeks to hear back, but of course some do get their decision letter earlier. :)
  • ashmce
    edited May 2021
    After my assessment I heard in about 4-5 weeks 
  • fonz
    fonz Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    thanks everyone @ashmce did it all go well
  • ashmce
    @fonz I got what I feel I should be awarded! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.