Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)? - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)?

Options

Comments

• llahl55
    llahl55 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    lisad75 said:
    Congrats on having a GP willing to say the injection technique is what's behind all the pain!  It still baffles me why the injections are administered so high in the upper arm ? I hope the steroid injection works for you ?
    Thank you. Most of the doctor’s at the practice I don’t like but this particular one is brilliant. He actually listens and explains thing to you. He helped my husband a few years ago when no one else would listen to him. I won’t see anyone else now x
  • MikeR
    MikeR Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Hi All,

Just a quick update....

I have just had my next physiotherapy assessment at the hospital which included an ultrasound, a Hydrodilatation procedure on my left arm/shoulder and corticosteroid injection. Resulting in experiencing much less pain and vastly more movements in my left arm and shoulder. Last night, was my first goodnights sleep in four months!  :)

• llahl55
    llahl55 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    MikeR said:
    Hi All,

Just a quick update....

I have just had my next physiotherapy assessment at the hospital which included an ultrasound, a Hydrodilatation procedure on my left arm/shoulder and corticosteroid injection. Resulting in experiencing much less pain and vastly more movements in my left arm and shoulder. Last night, was my first goodnights sleep in four months!  :)

Glad your treatment is helping. I too have had a corticosteroid injection on Wednesday and it’s made such a difference. My arm is sore from the injection but that’s expected and it’s aching but I think that’s down to the lack of movement since March but the movement has improved so much. Let’s hope everyone else manages to get someone to listen and get treatment for their pain too.

• MikeR
    MikeR Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    llahl55 said:
    MikeR said:
    Hi All,

Just a quick update....

Glad your treatment is helping. I too have had a corticosteroid injection on Wednesday and it’s made such a difference. My arm is sore from the injection but that’s expected and it’s aching but I think that’s down to the lack of movement since March but the movement has improved so much. Let’s hope everyone else manages to get someone to listen and get treatment for their pain too.

Hi llahl55,

Thank you for your kind comment.

I too am glad to hear you are doing okay!

For me, the services (NHS) I have received from my doctor, physiotherapist, etc.… have been second to none! I feel incredibly lucky to have experienced the exceptional service and professionalism from the onset of me seeking medical help.
  • Cazza03
    Cazza03 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Lynda62 - I'm sorry to read you're another that has suffered with incorrect administration of the vaccine. I'm a physiotherapist, & here are the exercises 

Hi, just to say thank you for sharing the exercises and why is it that professionals like yourself recognise sirva, but doctors don't or won't, it's so frustrating, and just prolongs suffering for us sufferers not to mention what it does for people's mental health when they are told the injury is nothing to do with injection.   My GP just got someone in the office to call me to tell me I'd done it to myself  :'(  I haven't.

Thank you for caring and sharing.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're very welcome @Cazza03 - I freely admit I knew nothing about SIRVA until so many of our members posted. I'm a very long retired physio yet still interested in medical research. What so many of you are suffering is so like a frozen shoulder. I know a little about this as I've had 2 partially frozen shoulders, perhaps the result of long term damage to my shoulder. I know how excruciating the pain can be lifting your arm more than 90 degrees from your body can be. As I often say on the forum, due to my disabilities I now practise the exercises I used to teach.
    I'm saddened that some Drs  (especially GPs whom we turn to) seem to have little understanding. I'm so pleased you all realise the importance of the Covid-19 vaccine & that SIRVA is the result of mis-administration of this (& historically found with mis-administration of other vaccines).
    The exercises I suggest will cause no harm, & will hopefully tide you all over until you can get appropriate treatment. Gravity does truly help in mobilising your shoulder. I appreciate the frustration; I've been there with knowing more than my Drs.
  • Aqua72
    Aqua72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I had my 2nd AZ vaccination 3rd of April, and have had constant pain ever since, no previous problem. The vaccination was put high into my shoulder and I felt it ( didn’t feel anything with the 1st) . 
    Saw a nurse practitioner, who said it looked like the vaccination had been placed too high, and had had previous cases of this reported, advised it could be bursitis. A further telephone appointment with my doctor prescribed Voltarol diclofenic gel and double dose of co-codamol, gel did nothing, the co- odamol knocked med out. A telephone appointment with a physio, ad iced it was frozen shoulder and emailed me some exercises, that I couldn’t do. 
    Blood tests returned fine (according to the receptionist)  xray was fine (according to the receptionist).
    So - 3 months on, still in pain with certain movements, have been paying for private physio. Who  think it could be nerve damage. I’m finding this quite expensive and the the deep tissue massage is leaving me bruised.
    Has anyone tried acupuncture - I’m so tired of the pain, it is draining. 
  • dubopp
    dubopp Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
  • dubopp
    edited June 2021
    Options

Moderator note:

This post contains unverified claims regarding COVID-19 vaccines. Please refer to official government/NHS information on COVID-19 vaccines.
    My photos may be confusing. [Had] my Moderna shot on May 20 in Canada [Removed by moderator - not a recognised side-effect]. Then, on June 11 (after 1st physio in my life) had symptoms of a stroke: left facial numbness, teeth & tongue felt swelled w/slurred speech. It's been a complete wreck of life, a living nightmare. My left shoulder is better (80-90% compared to pre-injection) after 5 weeks, buy from what I've read from hundreds of profiles it ever fully heals. An MRI would catch it faster. My doc did not diagnose it. Vancouver Health and Canada health are aware. I'm a 49 y/o oil worker and Apple picker with no previous health shoulder problems.
    Get a hottub going, alternate ice and heat, cold cloths hot cloths, a535, get off pain killers b/c u can't manage what you can't feel, call your gov reps. It sounds like you're all in the UK...I suggest forming a petition amongst yourselves and bringing it to a bailiff or attorney for a ClassAction. 
  • dubopp
    Options
    Final insert: Arm abduction is best described as making a snow angel on a flat surface: try a bed or floor or yoga standing up. External Rotation is stretching a long rubber band while keeping your elbows to your side. Those were extremely difficult 2-3 weeks ago. I hope you all get better. Thank you Scope in UK for providing a health forum not available across the pond. SIRVA IS REAL
  • dubopp
    Options
    Hi @LancsRose, I just wanted to note that volunteers administering the vaccine do have to go through quite a robust training programme before they're allowed to administer the vaccine. As the St John's Ambulance website outlines:
    All volunteers will meet strict selection criteria, mandated by the NHS, and receive appropriate clinical training. This includes official courses developed in partnership with and approved by NHS England. As well as extensive training, they will be subject to assessments and clinical supervision to ensure their own safety and that of everyone receiving the vaccine.
    As you say, it's important to encourage everyone who's able to to have the vaccine. Incidences of SIRVA are fortunately rare, but I'm sorry you and a couple of other users have experienced pain after your vaccines.

I hope that the Neurontin does the trick, but definitely do go back to see your doctor if the pain doesn't improve.
    "but I'm sorry you and a couple of other users have experienced pain after your vaccines." Don't dress it down to just 2 people. There's more than a 'couple' people who have had a severe reaction to needle administrations. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello,
    While bell's palsy is recognised as a very uncommon side effect of the Moderna vaccine, paralysis of a limb is not a verified side effect. For more information on known side effects, please see these respective patient information leaflets:

While I appreciate you may be attributing this side effect to SIRVA, I've edited your post as to avoid any ambiguity inadvertently misleading others and deterring them from accessing the vaccine. As per our house rules around 'Keeping it safe':

Please be careful about sharing information:
    · Always check that information is correct and appropriate.
    · Do not present opinions as facts.
    · Share reputable sources of information.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • corrie59
    corrie59 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Subdeltoid burtis caused by incorrect administration of the covid vaccine. Fact still suffering!
  • corrie59
    Options
    Subdeltoid burtis caused by incorrect administration of the covid vaccine. Fact still suffering!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi @corrie59

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear you are experiencing this after having had the vaccine, is your GP aware of it? 

It's worth noting that this can occur after any vaccine and isn't something exclusive to the Covid one, it's due to poor vaccine administration. You might find this other thread on the community helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • corrie59
    Options
    Yes GP aware, awaiting steroids since 5 feb. Incapable of doing anything, having to pay for private consultation as pain is excruciating with no respite.

• Ross_Alumni
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that @corrie59

Do you have any idea when you will get the steroids?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • corrie59
    Options
    Been advised by physio team to ring weekly for a cancellation.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    I see @corrie59, well I hope you get them soon and things improve for you.

• rosiewln
    rosiewln Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi again, it's now 9 weeks since my firs vaccination and I had felt like it was improving, but this week seems to be getting worse again. Extremely stiff in the morning, painful/heavy to move and lift arm, particularly with elbow bent, such as when reaching back when getting dressed.

I saw a doctor a couple of weeks ago who diagnosed it as deltoid tendonitis and gave me some exercises to try, but if anything it has got worse since then. I've stopped cycling and doing other activities that might aggravate it. I had hoped it might be better by the time I have my second jab, which is next week, but that seems unlikely. It's having quite an impact on my mood levels and I feel very frustrated about it.

The doctor also booked me in for an MRI scan, but this isn't until the end of July. Really hope I'll be better by then and won't need it.

The pain now radiates down the arm, so may be tendon related. But I guess just rest, ice and more stretching exercises is all I can do.

I hope some of us on here who've suffered injuries after vaccination are out on the other side by now. Best wishes. Rosie.

Brightness