Pip changing to vouchers ??

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

You are allowed to speak your mind of course, but please be aware we have many users who are very vulnerable and have bad anxiety and we want this to be a safe space for everyone. So please be aware of our house rules.

• stay_positive
    stay_positive Community member Posts: 304 Empowering

I know and I am one of those people , anxiety keeps me awake , I don't think my face fits here , might be time to leave the place .

• charlie72
    charlie72 Community member Posts: 19 Connected

I think many people are just very worried and anxious at the moment as we are not being told anything about changes that may happen. I do believe the new government will make some changes to welfare, but it probably won't include PIP, and if it did it would be something like a cap on future payments, as in no benefit increases for maybe 12 months.

Just because they have hinted at some welfare changes does not mean they plan doing the same as the tories were going to do, welfare includes child benefits, Universal Credit, Pensions, housing benefit and others. I think they will focus more on getting people back to work who are able to or wish to do so, including those on disability benefits, but it won't be forced on you, they'll probably offer more help and try reduce mental health waiting lists and NHS waiting lists to reduce the amount of people claiming PIP.

There is too much scare mongering, false information, and second guessing about PIP changes, it's highly unlikely they would scrap it or give vouchers, it would be a nightmare, both for us and for the government, would cause more upset and distress, make people more poorly, be totally unworkable, cost more money in the long run, and be highly unpopular.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

No don't leave last year my anxiety was horrific shaking hiding in bed scared to get up and go to toilet it was triggered by sunak speech every minute of everyday was torturous how I came out of it I don't know I was phoning smaratians scope anxiety uk asking same questions over and over panic attacks don't leave I found scope amazing I've had a few runs in at times because I'm scared like you are we are all in this together how you feel we all feel and totally get it x

• Needhelpandadvice
    Needhelpandadvice Posts: 78 Empowering

I am sorry to say, but I have to disagree with some of the posts on here, especially reading this

There is too much scare mongering, false information, and second guessing about PIP changes, it's highly unlikely they would scrap it or give vouchers, it would be a nightmare, both for us and for the government, would cause more upset and distress, make people more poorly, be totally unworkable, cost more money in the long run, and be highly unpopular.

Sadly, that is someone giving a false point of view and false hope.

The new Government have already said about a 22 billion black hole, they have said about a 47 compensation claim, so near to 70 billion.

The new Government within a month of being in power, have already attacked the old age pensioners and removed their Winter fuel payment, unless on pension credit.

Catherine, sadly we have to expect the worse, but hope for the best. If the worse happens, then at least you are prepared for it, rather than someone trying to give false hope saying oh it is highly unlikely that it would happen, and then it does.

Sadly, if it does happen, then it is going to be very quick and sudden rather than years as some people are again trying to give more false hope.

I question the so called 16,000 replies to the so called green paper, which was filled with loaded questions. If it was a tick and check box exercise do you want payments to stop tick yes or no, it would be far easier to read using AI.

A text based exercise nah that was very dodgy.

The worse case scenario and one that we have to be prepared for is thus

1. They come back from the Summer break in September, they start discussing it straight away, and start voting on it, claiming that all the 16,000 replies said yes please vouchers are a good idea
    2. It will be October 2024 when the budget happens and we cannot afford to keep PIP we need to fill that black hole. Kier Stammer has already given enough warning that things will get bad for us, saying that hard decisions have to be made.
    3. All of this will happen as quickly as possible, usually the Governments regardless of whom they are, like to do things at Christmas so that nothing can be done, which is why they have started managed migration onto UC in September so you are running into December.

I am really sorry for painting a bleak picture, but I honestly hate seeing people thinking that it will not happen, or giving false hope or information, when really they have no idea themselves.

Sadly, having a bleak out look is better than having a rose tinted one. At least that way you are looking at the negative side, rather than having hope that they will scrap this.

Labour was against this idea when they were in shadow Government wanting to be elected, they are all the same people regardless of who they say that they work for. Sadly, Governments lie to get elected and they break their promises once elected, this has happened for decades and beyond.

You are not the only person who is anxious and scared, we are all on the same ship, and that ship is called the Titanic.

However, do your best to think happy thoughts, as best as you can, but please do not believe anyone especially those people giving false hope such as saying they will not go through with it.

Sorry for being harsh and bleak, but it is better than false hope.

• stay_positive

Your'e lucky you never got told off for saying negative stuff. I wanted to say what you have said , but I would have had my post removed most likely , I wanted to say about the pensioners and winter fuel allowance, my mother is just a few quid over to receive pension credit , she is 91 on Monday and they've taken her winter fuel allowance off her.

If pip is replaced by vouchers we would lose our home as my PIP pays the mortgage , its very stressful and if they want to replace PIP with mental health therapy then that wouldn't help me as everything about my anxiety is about cancer which I had last year , nothing helps me . I have agoraphobia and also have sleep apnoea that I have a machine to breath at night , I have severe obstructive sleep apnoea , I am not overweight I just have it , if I lose my home i am very vulnerable , also my husband is my carer , so to lose PIP (enhanced mobility) I lose my carer another loss of income . .

All I said was it doesn't look good and was told to read the rules ?

• stay_positive

Thank you , means a lot me and thank you for sharing your experience it is not easy , I know the powers that be love to keep us in a constant state of fear and anxiety , fearful people are easier to control . I don't know the answers or the solutions but I do know that to lose PIP to vouchers would completely devastate our lives and we'd lose our home of 18 years .

• Catherine21

Me too 22 years if was able to work god I would who wants to go through this its hell

• Needhelpandadvice
    Needhelpandadvice Posts: 78 Empowering

I try and be as tactful and positive as I can be, but giving people false hope is just as bad as giving people no hope. So seeing, oh they won't bring in vouchers because some youtube channel has said too expensive or unworkable is wrong. Yes, the person did not mention YT but too many people see these channels and they try and say that it will not happen, but if someone reads oh it won't happen, and they suddenly think oh it won't happen, because someone else said that it won't happen, so it must be the right information, nah.

I am 100% with you on mental health and talking therapies and stuff like that, yes it can work for some people, but one size does not fit all. The more you have gone through in life, the less that it works, I actually thanked God when I found out that I had a terminal illness, thinking that the DWP cannot touch me now, I can be in an uneasy medical retirement, but now oh boy.

The brutal truth is that they are lying and the maths do not add up, mainly because the figures keep changing.

One minute around 3.5 million actively seeking work and on universal credit and then about 2 million sick and disabled, but now the sick and disabled has gone up to 9 or 12 million.

We were told 900,000 jobs need filling, so if you take those 3.5 million looking for work, you still have 2.5 million that are still unemployed if I round up the figure to a million, add the sick and disabled to that figure, you are still going to have eight million or more that are still sick and disabled and out of work.

Oh more jobs working from home since COVID, remote workers. Sadly, more rubbish they were already employed and the offices shut down and they were forced to work from home, no new jobs were created. The people have gone back to their offices now.

I sometimes have a look at Indeed or the DWP job site, about 130,000 jobs if that on the DWP site.

Sadly, all false accounting. However, British people, sick and disabled have always been easy targets.

However, getting political now so shall end here.

Good luck with the nasty C, but as I always say, it is always a good day when you wake up in the morning, as it is going to be a really bad one when you don't.

• Catherine21

So if they did do vouchers what about WCA LCW and LWCRA would still recieve that

• charlie72

You are referring to my post which youv'e copied and pasted into your comments, I was NOT trying to give false hope, negativity etc to anybody on here, I was merely stating that nobody knows what will happen in regards to PIP, in fact my post was actually based on some evidence from various charities, including Scope. When I phoned them last month about PIP changes and vouchers they told me not to worry too much, that vouchers would be highly unlikely, and if it did happen it would take years to implement. Whilst I agree you have every right to your own opinion, don't single my post out, copy and paste it, say i'm giving a false point of view, I actually said the new government would probably target other benefits, which they have done, including the winter fuel allowance, and 2 child benefit cap, Your post about another member is wholly unacceptable, youv'e twisted my words and how it was meant, It was not based on falsehood, fake news or to give anybody false hope, try ringing Scope and see what they say, to rant on like you have, picking out peoples comments, saying they are wrong is deeply upsetting, especially when it's written with a positive attitude, and came after talking to a Scope member of staff, to which I also now assume your saying they're wrong too?

Your a community member, not an advisor or moderator for scope, they decide whose comments are wrong, misleading, or false, not you, wind your neck in.

• Catherine21

My thinking was changes to WCA from 2025 fir new claimants tightening criteria start fazing out and then get round to existing claimants and 2028 pip being the only health benefit

• Catherine21
    edited August 29

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,581 Championing

Absolutely nothing has been confirmed, all people can do is wait and see. There are too many post full of speculation and I for one are getting fed up of it. Sorry if this upsets anyone.

• charlie72

Well said, my last post was copied, pasted and blasted for being a bit positive, I too got fed up with all the negative comments on here, like you I was really fed up of it, it's full of it today too, even though none of us know exactly what will happen until October. One member on here singled me out, copied my comments into there post and ranted on about what I put, it's the same person posting negative and false comments, they know who they are, don't worry Iv'e reported them to Scope, people on here don't want to read scary, frightening stuff about PIP, they need positivity and reassurance, we all have our own view on what might happen, in future I shall just ring Scope for advice, as some comments on here are unhelpful.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 1,284 Empowering

Note from online community team:

Hello everyone,

We understand this is a really important topic for many of us, but while it's important to be prepared for possibilities, speculation without access to sufficient information does none of us any good. 
    Please remember that all discussions on Scope’s online community should remain civil, supportive, and safe. While you are all free to talk about your feelings and emotions, please do not present opinions as facts. 

If you are feeling preoccupied, anxious, upset, or angry, please consider taking a break or a time-out to calm down and refocus.

We will continue to closely monitor this discussion, but if it escalates further, we may choose to pause, close, or even hide the discussion. If we think anybody's comments are detrimental to the wider community, we reserve the right to remove those comments.

For more information, please read our online community house rules.

• AKR
    AKR Community member Posts: 159 Empowering

That isn't how the legislative process works.

For a start, there would need to a Bill to "vote" on, in accordance with the usual stages in the legislative process;

And, IF the Welfare Reform Act 2012 is going to be repealed and replaced, a Bill isn't going to be drafted in readiness for the start of Parliament in September, particularly if a white paper is going to be issued following what is implicitly an extensive review (of the 16,000 responses to the Green Paper).

Additionally a government can't "claim" 16,000 responses "said yes please vouchers are a good idea" when that is already demonstrably untrue, if, as a bare minimum, you read some of the responses issued on behalf of disability/other charitable organisations openly available on the internet, which have roundly criticised/rejected such a proposal, together with all of the individual disabled respondees who have done the same.

Additionally, any internal statistical analysis/review/summary of a public consultation by a government department/body could easily be obtained under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. So the suggestion any government is going to "cook the books" in this respect and therefore open itself up to claims of overt corruption/subterfuge is for the birds!!

• stay_positive

No it's fine , whichever way you look at this , it is political ,so I am happy someone like yourself speaks it as it is, obviously we hope the PIP never gets touched as it comes with a few other benefits that help out financially. I hope you are able to stay well too , and I was the same , I thought well I am 60 soon and I have time to try and heal mentally with the stability of the PIP and other benefits , no we don't get away that easy do we ?

I've now had to re-think the housing plan , I've looked around and there are some houses that we could afford to buy cash from the bit of equity we have left , and that would at least give us a home to call ours and if we lose the benefits , my husband will have to get a job to pay the bills working from home , he's worked all his life from aged 16 and covid shut the business down for six months and eventually people stopped coming out as they were scared, other businesses were allowed to stay open food etc, and while shut we had to find the rent still even though not open . We got the grants but it was to pay mortgage and other bills as well as business rent and rates , so it wasn't easy like some think , oh they got all that covid money . We finally closed the business in December 2022 when I was diagnosed with uterine cancer , it completely broke me mentally and I was unable to be left alone so hubby closed the business , we lived off the bit of savings until last April when i was awarded PIP , then carers and UC , we actually felt a relief as we could start paying our way and we felt secure, then this with the PIP and other benefits , it just puts that feeling of not knowing back now . So I once again start thinking of our future , if we at least have a house paid for we can find a way to make some money to pay other bills, I can probably do some crochet baby items and sell them , and maybe hubby can work from home as he fixes pc's etc. I think we can retire at aged 68 .

Fingers crossed they do not touch PIP .

This discussion has been closed.