Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Your reaction to today's budget and the Health and Disability White Paper
The budget is underway with many announcements that will impact the lives of our community members. What are your immediate thoughts?
Here's a link to the BBC's budget summary.
UPDATE: Whilst here is a link to the Health and Disability White paper which discusses proposed changes to the disability benefits system in more detail (point 133 onwards).
Some key budget takeaways:
- Universal Credit sanctions to be 'applied more rigorously'
- 30 hours free childcare for all under fives
- Pensions lifetime allowance to be abolished
- Apprenticeships for over-50s to return to work
Chancellor announces plans to change disability benefits
Hunt has now turned to barriers to people participating in the workforce.
The chancellor says a white paper is being published today on disability benefits, including plans to abolish the work capabilty assessment and to separate benefits entitlement from an individual’s ability to work.
As a result, he says, disabled benefit claimants will always be able to seek work without fear of losing financial support.
He says there will be new, voluntary employment scheme for disabled people where the government will spend up to £4,000 per person to help them find appropriate jobs and put in place the support they need. It will fund 50,000 places every single year, he says.
Want to tell us about your experience on the online community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
- All Categories
- 12.8K Start here and say hello!
- 6.5K Coffee lounge
- 35 Games room
- 422 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 209 Community updates
- 9.1K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 784 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 609 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 758 Transport and travel
- 30.3K Talk about money
- 4.2K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 856 Chronic pain and pain management
- 156 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 815 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions