How Does our Garden Grow? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How Does our Garden Grow?

Options

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,064 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Zimba Yes they were the skyscraper ones. Grew taller every year. My secret plant food for the winter is sugar free ( no sweeteners ) Flat lemonade.  I started using it because flat ( or boiled) sugar free lemonade is a great food for any tummy ache. So figured it be good for my plants. And it really works. 
    I can’t afford plant foods etc. So I pinch Mr lemonade lol. 
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ada  
    Thank you that’s a great tip I never would have thought of that, I have struggled to get the skyscraper ones at the garden centre I can only seem to order them online. They are a beautiful flower my favourite was the big yellow flower heads they gave off a lovely scent. I will try and find some old photos of them.
  • Ada
    Options
    @Zimba Just buy one pack seeds. Let it grow then take those seeds from the bud for next year. I started that way and ended up with five very large pots Full. And marry the seeds ( pot them together) to get different colours. 
    Don't use fizzy lemonade it will kill them. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,827 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ada I get packs of used coffee from star bucks, they do it in large packets for free for gardens, so if I'm ever in there I take a couple and sprinkle around the plants  
  • Ada
    Options
    If anyone has any book or podcast recommendations, can you share them in this new thread please :) Thyme To Garden!
    Check this new thread out from @Hannah_Scope Its great I now have a gardening podcast makes a change from true crime. And her book recommendations look great. 
    Add any others to it. 
  • Ada
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    @ada I get packs of used coffee from star bucks, they do it in large packets for free for gardens, so if I'm ever in there I take a couple and sprinkle around the plants  
    Great idea @Sandy_123 I will definitely try that. I love trying new to me ideas. xx
  • Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,537 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Look at the mess the Camellias have made.
  • Sandy_123
    edited March 21
    Options
    Still looks lovely @teigr I've got a plant I need to photo in a min, as I don't know the name of  it 
  • Teigr
    Options
    We've got five Camellias @Sandy_123,this is the only one that makes a mess.When the flowers fall off the others they stay in one piece but with this one they explode into a million pieces when they hit the deck.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    That would be handy if you were going to a wedding lol or make pot pourri
  • Teigr
    Options
    I always say it looks like the aftermath of a wedding.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Looks nice @Albus_Scope can any one identify this plant 

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,531 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123 and that plant is a species of Cyclamen without a doubt.  Lovely plants. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    edited March 22
    Options
    Ohhh I had it given to me one Xmas in a fancy pot about 6 years ago. By a neighbour whos passed. I put it in the garden, it comes early spring every year and then goes unless it's me, I can now Google to look after it, then it's comes back late summer 
    Just googled and that's what the plant supposed to do , early spring late summer.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Aww, it's lovely you can keep their memory alive. :)  We have some that I discovered under a bush that I'd cut back last year. We had no idea they were there for two years!  They're just starting to come up now and have such beautiful leaves. <3  
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    They are nice plants. My rhubarb is sprouting up again, it refuses to die, we dug it out and everything, but no, it's back. 
    We have a jackdaw flying around the area too, people,e have been posting photos of it in their gardens, I've not seen it yet.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Oh rhubarb is such a pain! We tried demolishing what we found when we moved here. 3 years later it's still sprouting up! We now have about ten jackdaws who visit, lovely, smart birds. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Ada
    Options
    Fabulous @Albus_Scope I adore seeing birds etc in the garden. We only have a small back yard. And no birds. Betty wouldn’t allow them. But I do feed them out front in my very tiny garden. I have a pair of magpies who call for me to feed them. Truly. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.