WCA & PIP - Page 8 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WCA & PIP

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    pcoventry said:
    Thanks @poppy123456 well I need to move into social housing then! - unfair I should suffer just because of that - But I will look into the payment cheers 
    Sadly, that's the rules. As you only have 1 bedroom and are privately renting there's no extra money for you to receive through universal credit. Have a quick look at this link to see if you're claiming the correct amount of Housing element for your circumstances and area.  (1 bedroom) https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    I have a 3 bed house but I am only entitled to 1 bed - But I was not on my own when I got the place lol

It is what it is you are right 
  • KEE
    KEE Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes  I did initially state I was subject to bedroom tax and have a social landlord. The rules are different for private landlords your are correct @poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    Options
    pcoventry said:
    I have a 3 bed house but I am only entitled to 1 bed - But I was not on my own when I got the place lol

It is what it is you are right 
    I would urge you to apply for the DHP ASAP and use this reason why you need that extra help with your rent shortfall. This reason will definitely help you get that DHP. That extra amount of rent you're having to find each month must causing you huge amount of financial hardship.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • KEE
    Options
    Yes definitely try the Discretionary Housing Payment route, that is a heavy financial burden on you. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Details of the extra bedroom for a carer are here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/under-occupation

• pcoventry
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I will look into all that - I am now going to start a new thread or search for the disability premium because I am hoping to be eligible for that - the government site suggests so but talks about premium, severe and enhanced.

I have just been to the job centre for a meeting to be told I might be sanctioned if I don't start to do 35 hours a week job hunting - I wish I had 35 hours a week!. My work coach is rather snotty and rather arrogant and I am actually considering just signing off UC but I worry it will affect my HB and anything else. This all under 1 roof system is ****!

I sat there crying as she told me she didn't care what my PIP assessment or my GP's views were - their doctor said I could work and that's that - naturally I would need to go through to a tribunal but I am wondering if it's worth it for what is £80 a week. She's given me a form to fill out and told me I have to do it to show my day to day life - that's fine the next 2 days will probably be full of sleep. She takes 10MG of my meds and I take 100MG and yet she can't comprehend it knocks me out for days when I do take it.  I have also been todl I can only have 48 hours notice for interviews and starting work - I mean I literally don't know how if I should take my meds or not - and if I do will I be cut off for trying to be pain free. She also shoved the form in my hand knowing I can only use my right one - and I was using that to try and stand up right!

I asked for anther work coach and was told no, I asked her manager to consider it and he said no - she was doing her job right. I guess their job is to destroy people. I was told to read up on the equality act etc, which is pointless because I was sacked for being ill - and when I tell them this they say they don't care as that does not apply to them.

I got so down in the meeting I, for about 5 seconds actually thought about slitting my wrists - because that would be far less complicated! Luckily my support person walked out and waited outside - because she was all but ready to knock her out for the way she was talking to me 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @pcoventry I'm sorry to hear all of this. You certainly sound like you need a different work coach and they can't refuse you this. I'd advise you to speak to your case manager to request a different one.

As you're claiming UC then i'm afraid there's no disability premiums available. This means the Enhanced disability premium and the severe disability premium. I think you're getting confused by what ever it is you're reading.

This was taken from this link. 2nd paragraph at the top.

The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) is an addition payable with means-tested social security benefits. Universal Credit does not include an element equivalent to SDP – or indeed any of the disability premiums currently available.

The disability premiums you mention are only paid on the old Income Related benefits such as Income Support and Income Related ESA and JSA.

As your housing element is part of your UC payment then you will need to continue to claim UC to receive this element. New claims for housing benefit are no longer possible.

Please may i ask if you're receiving help with your MR/Tribunal? If you're not then this link will help you find what's available to you in your area. https://advicelocal.uk/

• pcoventry
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Why do I need to claim UC in order to get HB? they are going to sanction me because I won't be able to do enough work search! so I will lose my home too? I can't do what they expect me to do and so I am stuffed I guess!

Well this is totally confusing then! 

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/eligibility

As for my case manager - no idea who that is - but my work coach said no and her manager said no so they have refused me!

No help as yet but I will look into that thanks.  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope i wonder if you could please confirm that my advice is correct here, that there's no disability premiums payable when claiming Universal Credit. Thanks in advance.
  • KEE
    Options
    @pcoventry if they sanction you then I am sure you can apply for housing benefit under ‘Nil Income’ reasons. So sorry to hear about your ordeal at the meeting. Please don’t give up hope and look up disability discrimination act and DWP,  as they have to listen to you regarding your disability it’s unlawful not too.
  • KEE
    Options
    That link is information on the discrimination act and DWP
  • pcoventry
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Then I guess they are being unlawful then - thanks for the link it seems she has committed DD twice from just the contents of my Journal. She has put in my commitments today that I am to tell her if I can't make it - but I did this only 2 weeks ago about the meeting today and I was told to "attend my meeting as arranged" 

Literally nothing else - just get myself down there. 

I've been found "fit for work" by a doctor that by rights I should be lodging a complaint against with the BMA and suing -for providing a fake physical assessment report when no actual physical assessment was done.

I have also been refused a change of work coach by her and her manager as he says she is doing her job and he thinks my request is unreasonable. The above link suggests he is not able to dismiss me in such a way, or any way!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    KEE said:
    @pcoventry if they sanction you then I am sure you can apply for housing benefit under ‘Nil Income’ reasons. So sorry to hear about your ordeal at the meeting. Please don’t give up hope and look up disability discrimination act and DWP,  as they have to listen to you regarding your disability it’s unlawful not too.
    Nil income doesn't apply to Universal credit, it only applies to those claiming housing benefit. @pcoventry claims UC.
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2019
    Options
    There's one thing they can't refuse you and that's a new work coach. As you were found fit for work then it's the discretion of your work coach what your work commitments are. This is a very difficult situation and i'm really sorry that you've been put under this huge amount of pressure.

@Hart86 any advice on the new work coach refusal situation please? can you also confirm that there's no disability premiums paid when claiming UC. Thank you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options

Hello @pcoventry. Sorry to read about your experience at your job centre meeting today. 

Work search requirements are supposed to take into account an individual's circumstances and 35 hours is the maximum your work coach can request you search for, it does seem they aren’t using any discretion in your case.

Unfortunately @Poppy123456 is correct and there aren’t currently any disability premiums available on Universal Credit and you’re also unable to apply for housing benefit.

With regards to possible sanction, this can only be up to 100% of your standard allowance (£317 a month), so even if they applied a full sanction you would still receive your housing element. Obviously this wouldn’t be ideal but it’s a similar situation to what you’ve suggested of coming off of UC and only getting housing benefit.

Be aware though that if you currently have any other deductions from your UC (for an advance or overpayment etc) these would continue on top of the sanction so would lower your housing element. 

I know how stressful this whole thing is and I’m sorry it’s made you think about self-harming. It might be worth taking a look at MIND's tips on dealing with the urge to self-harm. However, if you're still having these thoughts, you should consider giving Samaritans a call on 116 123 and if you ever feel like you might be in danger, please call 999 or go to your local hospital.

Wishing you a good evening,

Adrian

Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Options
    pcoventry said:
    Why do I need to claim UC in order to get HB? they are going to sanction me because I won't be able to do enough work search! so I will lose my home too? I can't do what they expect me to do and so I am stuffed I guess!

Well this is totally confusing then! 

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/eligibility

As for my case manager - no idea who that is - but my work coach said no and her manager said no so they have refused me!

No help as yet but I will look into that thanks.  
    You are getting really confused here between UC and the old legacy benefits. To receive help with your rent you must claim UC and to claim UC you sign a claimant commitment, because UC has different elements you can just claim this to receive your housing element for your rent.

You can't claim housing benefit now because you're claiming universal credit.

The disability premiums don't exist with UC. That link you posted states you need to claim a qualifying benefit alongside your disability benefit, that qualifying benefit is Income Related ESA, JSA or Income Support. Please read the link that i posted above.

This link will again confirm there's no disability premiums paid when claiming universal credit.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your jobcentre meeting. I went to my local jobcentre only once to see what they could do to help me enter the workplace. I still have not returned because I found a job through other means. This is why I don’t like jobcentres.
    Please do see a therapist it sounds like you have some undiagnosed mental health problems that require treatment and therapy as well. 
  • pcoventry
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @April2018mom wow that's a bit harsh [edited]

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.