If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip telephone consultation times

Options

Comments

• Caddersj
    Caddersj Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I did call DWP and hence why no decision so looks as if it may be a long wait for nothing !!
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi I also applied in Feb it went to a assessor quite quickly they wrote to my doctor and said they wanted me to do a telephone appointment so I’m still waiting on that I’m really nervous bout it and it’s hard waiting it’s the only help I can get that doesn’t go off my partners wage . I hope I have my telephone appointment soon . Because my disability is mental illness would I get any thing for mobility ? Because at times I litterally don’t leave the house does that count ? 

That’s great news that you got your pip award . Do they pay you the back dated pay ASAP or do you have to wait for it ?

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @cupcake88, it shouldnt be too long now for you i hope  :), i too was very very anxious, click onto some of the links people have posted, im fairly new, since april. yes your mental illness does count, please remember it is not your disability as such, it the impact doing tasks has on you, ie, dangers/how  does getting dressed/washed/going into shop/supermarket etc impact on you, sweating, an overwhelming need to leave and go home asap,aids you may need, grabber to pick up a paper/meds. raised toilet seat, handles bath/door, and input from mental health worker, vulnerability. wish you the best and more will post to help you. read the descriptors and have them with you for tel call, a diary is also helpful  :) yes i did get my backpay, within 2 weeks  :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi @cupcake88 - You should concentrate on Question 13 (Planning & following journeys) in the following link which may help you with the mobility component of PIP. You say that at times you don't leave the house, which may count if this is on the majority of days. Think about, why don't you leave the house, if you do, how do you feel, does it make you feel worse sometimes, do you need someone to accompany you, etc? Looking at this question may help you with your phone assessment, altho it's about completing the initial PIP claim with relevance to people that suffer with their mental health. It may be worth looking through the whole link if you have any problems with the daily living component too.
    For any activity that you feel applies, try & give a couple of examples as to the difficulties you face, again saying why it's difficult, can you attempt it, if not, why not, do you need prompting, how does it affect you, & how do you feel afterwards, etc. If your condition fluctuates, say how often you have difficulty, & why. Hope this may help! :)

• cupcake88
    Options
    This is some amazing advice thank you so much . Yeh my nurse said the same thing that I should write stuff down and explain how I’m affected so she said if they ask can you prepare a meal they don’t mean can you heat up a microwave meal or a sandwich they mean can you prepare it ect which I can’t I have fear of turning the oven on , do they like award points per question then add it up ? Thanks so much to every one 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    @cupcake88 - You're welcome. Yes, they either award points or not for each question. These are added up for each section; daily living & mobility. Please read the descriptors or activities carefully....use of an oven, rather than just the hob is not considered (actually this shouldn't be mentioned in the link, sorry, as it's no appliance below waist height), but if you can't prepare a simple cooked meal, i.e. perhaps prepare some veg & make a basic cheese sauce, or cook some meat on the hob + some veg, then use of a microwave is considered (which would give you 2 points).
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Thanks so much that’s so helpful also would I need to re send them any thing because my meds have gone up since then and I don’t think they actually wrote to my mental health community team I did send loads of paper work . Will they do the assessment then ask for more information. Must be different over the phone is it better or worst than a face to face one 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    @cupcake - no need to resend info you've already sent. If an increase in your meds is relevant to any of the descriptors, then send. The onus is on you to provide info, as they rarely contact your GP, consultants, therapists, etc. It's good you've sent paperwork in already, but 'loads' is not necessarily good; again, unless it's relevant to the activities/descriptors.
    Any diagnosis will likely not be disputed. What the assessor now needs to know is how such disabilities affect any activities of daily living, &/mobility. Your mental health team won't likely know how well you can/cannot prepare a simple meal for example, nor dress, bathe, etc.
    So, if you consider you may have any new relevant info, then send it in now, rather than after your assessment.
    Phone assessments seem to currently be more favourable compared to face to face ones, but this will still, in your case, depend on describing how your disability affects your functional activity. You need to get across your individual response to this. My best wishes.

• cupcake88
    Options
    They make it so hard dont they for people to get help what  a joke . We have to fight so hard for every thing. But I wont give up I want to thank every one for there warm welcome and all the excellent advice 
  • Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    I recently received higher rate PIP after tel assessment with a review in Nov 2022.

I have been unemployed for 11 years due to my ASD/ADHD but that is never questioned in an an assessment.

The decision time was faster than I expected, too. The backdated payments arrived before the letter...

The points awarded were so low by the decision-making team but I suspect that they did that on purpose. 
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• cupcake88
    Options
    I will keep updating every one on my fight for pip , My fight for whats right at a employment tribunal My fight to keep more women's refuges open and for more support for women fleeing domestic violence and for every one out there  . As welll as dealing with my illness . Im so greatful for every ones support and advice 
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    Options
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cupcake88 I just want to wish you well with your assessment it’s a tough fight, a really hard process to go through, I also want to thank you for your support to women fleeing domestic violence, as I had to goto woman’s refuge a few times in my life, although it was a few years ago I will never forget the help and support I received, so thank you, take care ?
  • cupcake88
    Options
    I will keep every one updated when I was in a abusive situation it was years ago and I have a little dog the council put us in a like a hotel that was for women and children and pets that was fleaing domestic abuse which I had to pay for but at a low rate . I had fantastic after support but my illness happened a couple years after I left the situation. They have closed down alot of refuges now and the support is not as much as it was back years ago and theres still a long way to go . As many of you can relate even tho my Mental health was slowly going down hill I wasnt really aware of it I actually then got really poorly and when your poorly you really cant be dealing with applying to see what you can or cant get which I dont think the government take into consideration . Some times I wonder why they have the equality act because no one follows it . 

I wish every one good luck with there pip and benefit claims and any one who can get back to work and who wants to then apply its hard when you get rejected or your boss doesn't make reasonable adjustments  its really hard . Hence why Im taking my previous employer to tribunal its not just for me but Im hoping it will make it so that more people do the same if there being treated unfairly . Love to every one xx
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    Options
    Hi I phoned pip on Monday to say about my circumstances and they have sent me a form to complete which I received today and they said you will get paid your benefit and when I send it back if I need another assessment they will do it via phone call and hopefully I will have a higher award

Has this happened to anyone? 

hope to hear shortly 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I phoned pip on Monday to say about my circumstances and they have sent me a form to complete which I received today and they said you will get paid your benefit and when I send it back if I need another assessment they will do it via phone call and hopefully I will have a higher award

Has this happened to anyone? 

hope to hear shortly 

This is what happens if you report a change of circumstances. You will need to fill out the form with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Evidence should be sent with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. There's no timescales for decisions, or timescales for how long the assessment can take. At the moment assessment are being done by phone but who knows how long this will be for or when the rules will change again.

Your current award will continue until a decision's been made on your cliam. Your award could stay the same, be increased or you could lose everything you already have, which was advised in your previous thread.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    I have started to fill out the form and where it says the additional notes I will say there what’s change from when I did it to now 
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    And hope I get a higher pip amount 
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    Do I mention in the booklet that this is a change of circumstance my condition?

I have filled most of the booklet out already so I will send it off probably Tuesday 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.