Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

If they roll it out in December, would you take the Covid-19 Vaccine?

MrAllen1976MrAllen1976 Member Posts: 1,257 Pioneering
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
If the government rolls it out to the general public in December, would you take the Covid-19 Vaccine? I would, and my Parents, as it's said to be above 90% effective against the virus.

Would you guys do it?

If they roll it out in December, would you take the Covid-19 Vaccine? 53 votes

Yes
60%
AlexW_Scopedaz2Geoarkmossycowpoppy123456art_1angelfitzwaynepcveasyAlisonNettyTardiswoodbineworried33angiethomson01254chiariedsWestHam06Victor66MustangBumblesAdventium 32 votes
No
28%
deb74cat6873OverlyAnxiousPatchGParrot123Angie321soconfusedmacbanana57littlemouse13Melford_1Ignatiusyorkcaptainricksombralisathomas50sussexvisualimpaired 15 votes
Undecided
11%
Ami2301carthaMsbettyboopjaner1967Cher_ScopeHelsinkiships 6 votes

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 22,214 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes
    Yes! I don't have any reasons why i wouldn't have the vaccine. Both my daughters have also said they would go ahead.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Parrot123Parrot123 Member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    No
    I will wait until i see how it affects others with disabilities. Better safe than sorrry Will xx
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 6,301 Disability Gamechanger
    Undecided
    Want to wait till see if any side effects 
  • Parrot123Parrot123 Member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    No
    @janer1967 snap i am doing the same. I will wait been indoors since January. I will sit it out 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,472 Disability Gamechanger
    Undecided
    Hmm, I'd have to educate myself more about the vaccine they went with, so side effects, how it works, what it contains.  If after that I felt reassured, then yep.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,269 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes
    Absolutely, I have had the flu jab for 20+years and even had the HN15 jab and pneumonia jab, whilst they can't force people to have it they will find a way, they will give you proof that you've had the jab and won't let anyone who hasn't do some/all of the following go to a football match/travel abroad/ go to attractions like Alton towers etc etc etc.
    There should be no choice  for this in my honest opinion.
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 666 Pioneering
    No
    I had covid19 in March and I think if I was offered the vaccine I would say no. I think there are lots of people who need it more than I do. I refuse a flu vaccine every year for the same reason.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,472 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Undecided
    What does everyone think to the news that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has been approved from use as of next week?  For more information, see this BBC website article.  

Also, do you think the planned roll out is fair? 
    Image showing planned roll out of vaccine
    This sees the order of people being given the vaccine as:

1) Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers.
    2) All those 80 years and over plus frontline health and social care workers.
    3) All those 75 years plus.
    4) All those 70 years plus, in addition to clinically extremely vulnerable people.
    5) All those 65 years plus.
    6) All those 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions 'which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality'.
    7) All those 60 years plus.
    8) All those 55 years plus.
    9) All those 50 years plus.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,045 Pioneering
    Yes
    I would have the vaccine as and when the time was right for me to do so. I believe there are people who need the vaccine before me due to a variety of different reasons. Thereafter, I would have the vaccine due to the risks Covid poses to myself and to try to help to protect others, hope this makes sense. Thank you
  • MrAllen1976MrAllen1976 Member Posts: 1,257 Pioneering
    Yes
    What does everyone think to the news that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has been approved from use as of next week?  For more information, see this BBC website article.  

4) All those 70 years plus, in addition to clinically extremely vulnerable people.
    6) All those 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions 'which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality'.
    Mum and Dad and I will possibly be up at the Quack's next week for the thing.

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,269 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes

what makes you think that you will be in the very first wave?
    Yes
    woodbine said:

what makes you think that you will be in the very first wave?
    Well I don't know for rmyself but they're both over 70 and I'm classed as vulnerable due to formerly having Diabetes and I'm also disabled.

• m_burrell82m_burrell82 Member Posts: 97 Courageous
    Yes
    Absolutely! The Vaccines are the only way to get out of all this sadness, lonliness and the lost of so much of our lives.
  • worried33worried33 Member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Yes
    Absolutely, the question is will I be offered it? I think everyone in the country needs to be offered this and given the choice.
  • justjoejustjoe Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Absolutely not. 
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 3,827 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes
    There’s no reason why I shouldn’t take it so I will.

I can understand some people with certain conditions refusing to take a vaccine. However, perfectly well people who refuse based on rumours on social media need to take off the tin foil hat IMO. :D
    Yes
    Apparently it's been debunked, but there was a report in one of the National newspapers yesterday that anyone who does not have the Vaccine will be barred from their local once the Pubs reopen post lockdown.

I think it was either the Daily Star or the Sun, so take it as you will.

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,780 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes
    Hi all :) Thank you for creating this poll @MrAllen1976! It's really useful for us to know what you're all thinking about the latest developments so that we can best represent disabled people in our campaigns and other work.

I just wanted to share a BBC video I saw, where a few common questions about the vaccine are answered by an expert from King's College. Closed captions are available on the video.

I also wanted to share with you a copy of the letter our Chair, Robin Millar, wrote to Matt Hancock. The letter asks for two key things:
    1. For disabled people to be prioritised in the roll-out of any coronavirus vaccine
    2. For improved access to non-Covid-19 health screening and treatment for disabled people
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Yes
    Hi all :) Thank you for creating this poll @MrAllen1976! It's really useful for us to know what you're all thinking about the latest developments so that we can best represent disabled people in our campaigns and other work.

I just wanted to share a BBC video I saw, where a few common questions about the vaccine are answered by an expert from King's College. Closed captions are available on the video.

I also wanted to share with you a copy of the letter our Chair, Robin Millar, wrote to Matt Hancock. The letter asks for two key things:
    1. For disabled people to be prioritised in the roll-out of any coronavirus vaccine
    2. For improved access to non-Covid-19 health screening and treatment for disabled people
    With respect Tori, it's a well known fact the Tories hate the disabled, look at all the needless deaths when the ATOS Clowns (sponsored by the Tory government) find people who clearly aren't, "fit to work" and sanction the stuffing out of 'em?!

• StickmanStickman Member Posts: 81 Pioneering
    I have ticked "undecided" as I would like to know more about it and also if it has any side effects.
  • EllestarEllestar Member Posts: 13 Connected
    Yes
    Yes, my daughter and I will have the vaccine, when it's offered to us.
  • daz2daz2 Member Posts: 3 Connected
    Yes
    I said yes. I was sent a study by Brunel University last year saying adults with CP are 14 times more likely to die of respertatory dieses than non-disabled. The report was a thank you for completing a questionnaire. A very strange thank you to give someone with CP.

• givingupgivingup Member Posts: 109 Courageous
    edited December 2020
    Stickman, I'm with you all the way.                            When I see how people are, who've had the vaccine , 3-4 months down the line.
    I'm not entitled to it yet anyway so I'll wait and see.

Yes
    well there's been many folk that have been given the vaccine now. Very few with any harsh side effects. Like one person in Alaska, the other day and that person lived to tell the tale. I don't know of anyone who has died from the vaccine. Many are dying from the virus. So every reason to take this vaccine, so we can actually think of meeting up with folk again.
    Don't forget you need two jabs and it's very early days yet to judge on long term side effects?
  • soconfusedsoconfused Member Posts: 101 Courageous
    No
    No, I've been around the country from March to July when living in a van full time and since then I have been out 3-4 times a week on my scooter - I can't wear a mask as I can't put one on - Everyone on the news telling me what to do has had it - And If I have had it, I've not known about it. 

To be honest if Covid got me then oh well, i've had a good life.. But I am not going to have a jab and luckily there is no law to force me - and if you are tricked it's actually assault and becomes a Police matter. Or so my Barrister friend told me yesterday. 
    No
    well there's been many folk that have been given the vaccine now. Very few with any harsh side effects. Like one person in Alaska, the other day and that person lived to tell the tale. I don't know of anyone who has died from the vaccine. Many are dying from the virus. So every reason to take this vaccine, so we can actually think of meeting up with folk again.
    And yet 2 nurses had anaphylaxis and died the same day.. 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,746 Scope community team
    edited December 2020
    I don't believe anyone's died from the vaccine @soconfused. Associated Press in fact put out a piece discrediting the rumour that any nurses in Alabama had died and the two NHS workers who had severe allergic reactions to the vaccine recovered.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    edited December 2020
    No
    Of course no one has died from Covid-19 as covid-19 does not exist!

I've never fallen for any of the Governments crap. I pity people who have. Did the Associated Press also discredit the fact the covid-19 test goes positive if you have a cold? Or that they got a positive result from a Zucchini ?  not likely to either as both are factually true! 

Try telling someone dying of Cancer because it was missed (just like the thousands who will again because of the tests they just cancelled yesterday) that Covid is real. 

The whole world needs to wake up and smell what Boris and his (getting rich doing it) cronies are shovelling. 2 well known MP's have shares in Astra Zenica and also Whitty has amassed 400K in the past week from speaking about it - I mean come on - in which correct world should the CMA get 400K for doing what he is already being paid to do? 

None of it smacks of suspicion? Even people like Jacob Rees Mogg having a go at charities yesterday for feeding hungry children?  No hint it's all designed to bring us to our knees? It started as a way to kill pensioners to save the pension money but now pensioners are the first people to get the jab? The fact a 21yr old died but they gave a job to a 90yr old? None of it? 

As I have said before. I Will have lived on the road before during and after this all started and the one thing I can tell you that I have seen, is that when it comes to day to day living in regards to amount of people I see, NOTHING has changed! 

I despair for what is left of the Human race! 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,746 Scope community team
    Hi @soconfused, sorry for the confusion. I meant nobody's reported to have died from the vaccine. I've edited my post to clarify.

Sadly, Covid-19 very much does exist. I know people who have unfortunately passed away as a result. And right now my own family (my partner and my children) are currently unwell with it. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    edited December 2020
    No
    You don't know an invisible enemy "does very much exist". Have you seen it? have you even seen it at a microscopic level? No.  sorry but that's just flannel. I don't wish to sound blunt - but you get me 1, just 1 death certificate that has just Covid 19 as the cause of death, nothing underlying and I will believe you. But if it was real then WHY did the Government butcher a cert which said Myocardial infarction but they crossed it out and put Coronavirus ? That's also a true fact. 

Sounds like someone trying to manufacture fear to me, sad thing is it's working. The longer this goes on the richer Boris and his mates get.

And besides - HOW can I take them seriously when A they all get it (apparently) through stupidity) and B they IGNORE every boat dweller who comes in from Dover?  They want us to live under a dictatorship but others have free reign?  Oh yeah it's real alright - in their HEADS!

Anyone who dies from the common cold or from flu will test positive - so no one can say it exists with any certainty. Even the "source" has been ripped apart several times.. 
    I'd be really interested in seeing any links you have to reputable sources on these topics @soconfused.

It's probably not my place to debate this with you, or to try and dissuade you of your opinions. I am not a virologist but I do put my faith in the scientific expertise of those who have spent years within their respective fields. In the same breath, I also believe in Jupiter and Saturn despite never actually having seen them in person. We can all do our own research, but I think it's very dangerous to discourage people from having a vaccine without the expertise to back that up.
    Anyone who dies from the common cold or from flu will test positive - so no one can say it exists with any certainty. Even the "source" has been ripped apart several times.. 
    I'd not heard this claim before and did a little research of my own. You might find this article (FactCheck: Can a common cold cause a positive Covid-19 test?) to be interesting reading.

On a side note: obviously there are people profiteering off the disaster, but then someone always finds a way to profit off everything. Just because someone has found a way to make a tidy sum doesn't, in my mind, make the event they're benefitting from any less real.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

edited December 2020
    No
    No problem I will ask my sister - who IS a virologist at the University of Sheffield and is part of the Infection,Immunity and CardioVascular Disease Department to sign up and comment - that's the best source I can provide and even she says it's a load of crap. 

As for finding a way to make a tidy sum, here's some homework.. How many of the people at No 10 have shares in Pharmaceutical companies and vaccine companies..Answers on a postcard to.. 
  • captainrickcaptainrick Member Posts: 4 Listener
    No
    No I don’t think that I would. I have Avery rare illness,  and my dr has advised that the serum has not been tested on someone with my illness, and they really don’t know what the reaction would be.  Considering I have already been dead 3 times, I don’t think I could safely say it won’t hurt me. More studies needed I think 
  • mossycowmossycow Community champion Posts: 491 Pioneering
    Yes
    @Adrian_Scope

So sorry yo hear ypur family is unwell. It must also be hard to hear people claiming that covid im doesn't exist when ypure living with it. 

"I'm trying to live like a random poem I read that ended 'to bloom where we are planted"

• AlisonNettyAlisonNetty Member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Yes
    Yes. Than I can get out more....
  • PatchGPatchG Member Posts: 37 Connected
    No
    And yet 2 nurses had anaphylaxis and died the same day.. 
    Not true. Two nurses with allergies who use epi pens had mild reactions, had standard treatment, and went straight back to work.
    Spreading false news is never good, believing it is worse. 
    No
    I can't have it because of chemo. Anyone on immunosuppressant treatments can't have it.
    Apparently an alternative (which is not a vaccination) is being worked on. Not seen any recent updates on that yet.
  • mossycowmossycow Community champion Posts: 491 Pioneering
    Yes
    Personally I'm very much looking forward to my vaccine when it comes and Im incredibly grateful to those talented, hardworking people who have created this modern miracle.

Apart from the overwhelming evidence that this covid virus does exist I I can't see any valid reason for anyone creating the pandemic.... I can see why conspiracists have no trust in governments mind.... That's the saddest thing of all I think. 

Meanwhile, it can't be denied that people are dying of a respiratory disease that acts differently than any virus we've known before. We've a vaccine that's been tested in the same way as any other vaccine before and is available thanks to our country having the money, technology and facilities to distribute it and I'm going to be damn grateful when I get to take advantage of my privilige in being offered it when it comes. 

It's true that no long term testing has been done but I can't see what long term effects could be possible by the nature of how they work. 

I just hope so much we get a ough people vaccinated so that those unable to to be vaccinated can take advantage of the herd effect. 

"I'm trying to live like a random poem I read that ended 'to bloom where we are planted"

• angelfitzangelfitz Member Posts: 4 Connected
    Yes
    Yes I would definitely have the vaccine
  • sussexvisualimpairedsussexvisualimpaired Member Posts: 1 Listener
    No
    No, I do not want the vaccination, and have not needed injections for the last 40 years, im a exhealthcare general nurse, I would need to know efficacy, side effects, contraindications, I do not believe what we are being told by the World health organisation or  the British tory government , the facts do not add up , I do my research , I prefer my body to be left natural not contaminated by toxic substances that we do not know will disturb the bodies natural balance leading to further problems in later life.
    The vast majority of the population are taking medication , that mask symptoms that can be helped by more natural substances and also the body should be dealt with holistically . The majority of the population are living in fear of this virus there are many viruses,  people should read research not toxic media internet sites.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,045 Pioneering
    Yes
    @Adrian_Scope
                                My deepest condolences for those you have lost and I really hope that the rest of your family feel better soon. Sending my thoughts and best wishes. Thank you. 
    Yes
    Because I'm on the cusp of being Type 2 Diabetic I have to have blood tests every 6 months anyway, so it's just another Needle.

No
    <Rest of rubbish snipped>

'Try telling someone dying of Cancer because it was missed (just like the thousands who will again because of the tests they just cancelled yesterday) that Covid is real. '

I DO have cancer.
    Covid is very real. Two of the chemo nurses had it. One is still not fully recovered months later.
    Please keep your ridiculous foil hat conspiracy nonsense to yourself, it's maddening knowing people who have died already from it and knowing people who have it right now, one of whom may not make it, and there are people like you spouting utterly clueless denier garbage 😠

• art_1art_1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yes
    Yes absolutely and it's everyone's responsibility to do the right thing..Can't come fast enough.
  • Ayoung1979Ayoung1979 Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    I still don't know yet. I have a lot of health problems so I'm worried of something happening to me.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 1,765 Pioneering
    No
    I cant have it becsuse if my lupus  and because I take blood thinners  for my lupus 
  • Melford_1Melford_1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    No
    There is absolutely no way I would ever take that poison. Ever. It has the potential to cause infertility I. Women amongst other issues. Read the government letter to the gps about vaccination concerns. It is alot more detailed than the form you sign for consent. Find out about the yellow card system. This is used for doctors to record side effects if they do. Wake up people. 
  • foxukfoxuk Member Posts: 94 Courageous
    I will not be allowed to have the vaccine. It really is that simple. I have reacted to a number of other vaccinations with increasing severity. Having one's heart re-started tends to focus one's decision making process.

I am also high risk having recently diagnosed and as yet un-managed diabetes.

People like me make up a tiny fraction of a percentage point of the population. That's probably because a lot of us are dead.

What people are talking about with 'reactions' to vaccine are minor things similar or equal to a dose of the flu.

What those who spread negative propaganda intend is debateable. I follow the criminologist's basic premise 'Who profits?'

I have no way of disagreeing with thye premise that those wishing to erradicate us with a disease are wanting to 'profit' from our removal from benefits.

The un-elected elite, those paying tax and those believing in eugenics can be seen spreading un-substanciated propaganda to convince us to not protect our lives. I have had two anti-virus propagandists quote David Icke (of 'I am the son of God and the Queen is a lizard fame) as a valid qualified reference.

If you can please protect yourselves and make life a little safer for people like me.
  • littlemouse13littlemouse13 Member Posts: 19 Listener
    No
    I will avoid the vaccine. 
    I think everyone has a right to an opinion anf i find all opinions valid and important. 
    We all make decisions based on research we do, some just listen to the news and follow the guidelines set, putting faith in the scientists and goverment reports etc. Others dig deeper which foes uncover cracks as  in life, everyone, even scientists and doctors have different opinions, so i do not think it is fair to pick at a person as a ‘tin foil’ ‘conspiracy nut’ because their opinions differ.
     There are many ways people deal with changes in society/illness /disasters/pandemics etc....
     We all wish to survive, and have our own narratives to get there. 
    My father has had COPD got years and been very ill for sometime. He went into hospital with Pnemonia after a year of isolation, and came out of hospital with covid. Despite all the health issues (pnemonia/URI/heart issues) he is battling, he did not feel that Covid stood out in anyway in terms of symptoms, and i cant help but think if he hadnt made it, that his death cert would have said Covid. 
    I have my opinions and am
    sceptical, but i usually
    keep them to myself, so i applaud those that share their thoughts and are prepared to stand by them. I wont go into any more detail of my thoughts, but i am
    Open to change my opinion based on what i hear and read, and so i dont stubbornly stand by a decision. 
     I dont agree with name calling when someone has an opinion, but i know reactions like this are often based on fear and that is something humans are getting plenty of these days. I will end this rant now and wish everyone, peace,  health and understanding. 
    No
    Cirona virus affects people in different ways i have had  corona virus I was poorly for 8 weeks  I couldnt move i couldn't eat I couldnt drink I couldbt swallow I was poorly for 8 weeks and I am still haveing long covid symptoms  I am scared of haveing it again so I follow all the rules but it doesn't help your mental health thats why I need to try and work part time  to get myself back on track but wales go into lockdown straight after Xmas with no end date so have to see how it goes 
    No
    Melford_1 said:
    There is absolutely no way I would ever take that poison. Ever. It has the potential to cause infertility 

Please provide a link to a CRESIBLE source for your claim regarding alledged infertility.. 

No
    Thats been in the news alot lately  my granddaughter is working in a hospital and dhe hasn't had the vaccination for that reason I have tried looking on line but not sure if it is  fact or what people have picked up on one comment that a scientist said that the vacibe out now does contain something that is also used that could cause infertility but not a clear fact  
    No
    Regarding infertility and other made up conspiracy myths, the following is available on every CREDIBLE news and science source. I am only linking to one at random as all credible sources have the same information;

https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna204215
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,073 Pioneering
    edited December 2020
    Yes
    Hi all
    There was a recent claim made that the vaccine could cause infertility in women by a former employee of the company who developed this first vaccine and a German doctor, both of whom have expressed doubts about Coronavirus in the past. 

However, I must stress that authorities have confirmed that this claim was unfounded and totally inaccurate, and that the vaccine is safe, and has no impact on fertility or infertility.

You can read more on this here.
    Online Community Coordinator

• chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,341 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes
    About the safety of the Covid-19 vaccine: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55216047
    It is unknown whether the vaccine has an effect on fertility as stated in this document. See section 4.6 0n page 6: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/943417/Information_for_healthcare_professionals.pdf
    There's much misinformation about the vaccine; whereas the facts can be found here:
    We need as any people as possible to get the vaccine in order to protect those who can't (or decline to) take it.
    Please ensure that you always quote from reputable sources, thank you.
    Well, the tory government seem determined to finish people like me who live in the north etc off.
    We should have a full nationwide lockdown over the Xmas period so people who want the vaccine are around to have it!!!!!
    No
    It's ridiculous for anyone to think it would be used for depop. It would mean that the only people who could breed would be conspiracy theorists who won't take it and people with health conditions which prevent them taking it.

In such a daft conspiracy instance, good luck world 😂
    No
    I dont think anyone realy knows anything  when I was younger I was training in Oxford on disease and virus and vaccination  it doesn't matter how long it takes to make any vaccination  or any medication there are side affects with everything  some are bad some not so bad but doesn't mean its going to happen everything we do in live is a risk but regarding the pandemic now everyone knows what we are supised to do and thats wear a face mask  stay 6 meters apart and only go out if realy needed  and wash your hand but people would rather cram into shops and town centers and refuse to wear a mask  we need a reaky ling lickdown get the corona virus down to zero and test everyone and lift lockdown slowly  its logical realy we are feeding the virus and makeibg it stronger x
    No
    LisaThomas50 you are so right.

If our idiotic Gov had done things the right way in the first place, as NZ did, we would have been back to normal months ago.
  • art_1art_1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited December 2020
    Yes
    It's sad so many believe the rubbish out out about vaccinations..Vaccines have been around for Many many decades and are proven to work..Stop being so ignorant but not all need to be vaccinated as only as certain percentage need it to kill this virus..There you are now you know.
    No
    I cant have the vacibe because of my health and the medication I tske  so I don't need to make the choice I don't have the flu vaccination but I can see why people are scared because its something thst could  be detrimental  but as I said there is risk with anything I had a cataract removal 4 weeks ago I cancel twice but I was ready this time around because I couldn't see but that was because of the risks that they told me could happen  but I couldn't see any way so I took the risk I can see now but touch wood  things are going OK  I tske itvobe day at a time and don't tske anything for granted  so at the end of the day its a person's choice  
    No
    @lisathomas50
    Great to hear the op seems to have gone well, congrats 🎉
    😊😊😊
    No
    Thank you patch6 wales has just been put intoocjdown from tonight  what a nightmare  merry  Xmas  we can still enjoy the pandemic will come to an end get your surf board out and ride the waves we can do this 
    Yes
    lisathomas50  Also London in Tier 4. I'm unlikely to have my usual Christmas. I usually feel that my life is just one run of lonliness, without anyone giving any real help to solve that. With not likely to even have a Christmas, will simply be unbearable!
  • GeoarkGeoark Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,320 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes
    Yes I will have it when it is offered to me.

I would like to thank @soconfused for the best laughs over this issue. Here is my favourite line:

The whole world needs to wake up and smell what Boris and his (getting rich doing it) cronies are shovelling.

To find someone who actually believes that this bunch of incompetent idiots are capable of conceiving and implementing such a world wide scam is just so funny.

So parts of England went into tier 3 lockdown because of a spike in the rise of Covid. The rise being mainly among those between 11 and 18, but the schools and colleges remained open. Today they cried a new Tier 4 and still they plan to have the schools and education open.

Retirement ages have been going up, yet our education system has been under assault for the last decade at least. So suddenly there is a call for education centres in every town. We already have them, they are called colleges, those institutions which used to help retrain adults into jobs that needed people and provided various other forms of education until the funding for them was pulled away.

Personally I'm not surprised that some Tory MPs are unhappy with the recent grants given by UNICEF. It represents external validation of what most of us know what has been going on with the Conservatives in the last decade, or usually when they are in power.

Boris is hardly and intellectual giant, so to believe this is one huge world wide scam by him and his cronies is just laughable.

Perhaps smell some of the stuff you are trying to shovel on us? 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Yes
    Geoark said:
    Yes I will have it when it is offered to me.

I would like to thank @soconfused for the best laughs over this issue. Here is my favourite line:

The whole world needs to wake up and smell what Boris and his (getting rich doing it) cronies are shovelling.

To find someone who actually believes that this bunch of incompetent idiots are capable of conceiving and implementing such a world wide scam is just so funny.

So parts of England went into tier 3 lockdown because of a spike in the rise of Covid. The rise being mainly among those between 11 and 18, but the schools and colleges remained open. Today they cried a new Tier 4 and still they plan to have the schools and education open.

Retirement ages have been going up, yet our education system has been under assault for the last decade at least. So suddenly there is a call for education centres in every town. We already have them, they are called colleges, those institutions which used to help retrain adults into jobs that needed people and provided various other forms of education until the funding for them was pulled away.

Personally I'm not surprised that some Tory MPs are unhappy with the recent grants given by UNICEF. It represents external validation of what most of us know what has been going on with the Conservatives in the last decade, or usually when they are in power.

Boris is hardly and intellectual giant, so to believe this is one huge world wide scam by him and his cronies is just laughable.

Perhaps smell some of the stuff you are trying to shovel on us? 
    I call him BoJo the Clown!
    No
    It doesn't have to be unbearable 🤗
    My Niece died just before xmas day many years ago now. Ever since, her dad (my brother) and family have had a delayed xmas every year - to celebrate real xmas day without her is too painful as she loved xmas so much.

This year is not normal for anyone who would otherwise celebrate the day, everyone is in the same boat, I think a lot will choose a different day when it's safer 🤗
    No
    Mburrrel 82 you csn always talk  to someone on here I am here Xmas can be lonely  for anyone but its worse now because  of the corona virus  Xmas won't be the same this year are you ok 
    No
    My son died  on 31st December 22 years ago  so I don't like new year  but it does taint Xmas but I still try  I know its different this year  and you say its Linley and unbearable but there is always someone here to speak to you  I am used to haveing people round me Xmas but not this year I hope your ok 
    Yes
    Its good talking here to an extent and like I talk to so many folk out there, in different countries on places like hangouts and stuff. Sites like that I can say so much more about myself. Whether I can actually get to meet any of those folk, from places like The States and Ghana, remains to be seen though.
    No
    You never know anything is possible if you want it enough there are akways ways to dort it out glad your ok though we can get you through Xmas  iwe are all in same boat do ride the waves we will get through it x
  • GeoarkGeoark Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,320 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes
    @m_burrell82 I have made some good friends in the States and have been fortunate to meet some of them. The worst experience I have had in these meetings was taking a couple of ladies, with the family, to a pub in the middle of a tourist area in London and ordering coffee with cream. The coffee was okay, but seriously whipped cream from a can?? 

Fortunately this year our plans won't be spoilt. We spend it together as a family, if you can count three different tv's being on in three different rooms 'being together' debatable. We do spend some time together though, eating, a couple of games, opening presents. It suits us as there is very little expectations of each other and we don't have to try and meet the expectations of others.

While I can certainly understand that this is a time people who are alone can feel very lonely, but being around toxic partners, parents or even children can be just as lonely with a large dose of abuse thrown in. Throw in the type of year we have had, and I have seen a report on tv saying that drinking alcohol has gone up significantly I just hope people have the courage to ask for help if they need it. That said, it definitely does not diminish the issues faced by single people who are on their own this Christmas, and especially for those who had hoped to spend a few days with family or friends but cannot do so now.

All I can suggest is try to reach out if you are feeling particularly lonely, be it online, calling someone just to wish them a merry Christmas, perhaps arrange a time to call in advance so you don't catch them while they are eating, or have something else planned. I know one of my biggest concerns this year has been what will happen to our elderly residents who are often invited to parties at the local hospital, or charity.  Sadly I have not had the time or energy this year to be proactive, but fortunately do know that some of the other residents have already made plans to ensure they are at least contacted by someone, with a few surprises for them on the day.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

No
    Thats good glad you have someone at Xmas  to be fair I am  ok about Xmas  if I stay safe hopefuly I  will have Xmas  next year  my kids will facetious me on my phone people will text me my partner will come and see me I have presents and I have a Xmas dinner I am happy I am alive so I can't ask for anything more  have a lovely Xmas  
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 277 Pioneering
    Yes
    we will be having it, glad to see more people are to, this is  an interesting thread, thanks to those who have taken part
    No
    We will all have  mad day but different than what we are used to and some people are on their own every year  some work but however we are haveing Xmas hope you will all feel some joy amongst everything going on x
Sign in or join us to comment.