My goal today - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My goal today

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    My goal for today is to buy a birthday present for somebody :smiley:
    But my birthday's two weeks away yet  :D Good luck shopping!

My goal for today is to get through to the doctors to make an appointment.  I am currently in a telephone queue so almost there.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chloe_Scope just in for a tea break. I’ve managed to get all the screws out. Now I need heavy duty rubble sacks for the old concrete and rotten wood. Phew ? 

maybe i I should’ve left well alone...

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal Its starting to sound like a big job you have started there, and you deserve the tea break and maybe a slice of that cake, if there is any left

@Chloe_Scope First day gone ok but it was only for 2 hours today but he is glad to have seen his friends again and said how many of them have got taller and their voices have broke , he was one of the only ones before as he is nearly a year older then the others

Used my free time to good use got a lamb stew cooking away in the slow cooker will have some home made yorkshire pudding with it must admit ther smell is making my tummy rumble
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope, team birthday party?!

@leeCal, certainly sounds like you needed the tea break, any biscuits? 

@janer1967, sounds like a productive day for you! Got to love the slow cooker. My sister is also looking forward to seeing her friends as well, it's been a long time for them!
    Scope

• leeCal
    @janer1967 lamb stew sounds delicious! 

Im resting now, the job will wait. ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad it went well for him @janer1967 :) Your tea sounds lovely! You're making my tummy rumble too...
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chloe_Scope @Cher_Scope team birthday party with a Colin and Cuthbert the Caterpillar taste test? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    leeCal said:
    @66Mustang good luck.

What I must do is try to remove quite a few screws from decking I removed yesterday, not an easy task. Actually the whole job has grown horribly, ill persist but I may need help with this one.
    Do you have a, I don’t remember the exact name of the tool, maybe impact driver? It’s basically a really strong electric screwdriver. It can tighten or un-tighten screws.

A while ago I had to take some shelves apart and I begun using a screwdriver which was hard work until someone gave me this tool which took the screws out with no effort, just push the driver into the screw, pull the trigger and it’s undone.
  • 66Mustang
    Good luck today @66Mustang! Any ideas?
    I ended up buying a huge bottle of AutoGlym car shampoo (it’s like the “Lego” of car shampoo!) for the person who is fond of their car. It was £17.50 for a 2.5L bottle and usually a 500ml bottle is £8 so very good value and should last them a long time. For the other person I went away from the baking idea and purchased some nice little wooden animal decorations! :smiley:
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang said:
    My goal for today is to buy a birthday present for somebody :smiley:
    But my birthday's two weeks away yet  :D Good luck shopping!

My goal for today is to get through to the doctors to make an appointment.  I am currently in a telephone queue so almost there.
    Haha :D

I hope you got through to the doctors today! I can see it being hard at the moment.
  • leeCal
    edited September 2020
    @66Mustang yes I have an impact driver, wouldn’t be without it. The problem I had was that the screws came out of the rotten wood but stayed in the decking planks, then they’d turn but not withdraw. So I turned the boards over and whacked them through with a hammer and then they came out with the impact driver. Tiring but job done now. 

Now all all I need to do is decide whether to relay decking or do without. The decking itself lasts well but the timber it’s fixed to rots quietly underneath. Ephemeral.

thanks for the suggestion though, much appreciated.

was your shopping trip a success? I see it was, great stuff.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited September 2020
    I’m glad to hear you got it done @leeCal

That is a tricky conundrum as to whether to relay the decking. If you didn’t relay it what would you have there instead?

I learnt a new word from your post :) I had heard it before but never knew what “ephemeral” meant so looked it up!
  • leeCal
    edited September 2020
    Actually what I found after taking it all up was block paving, @66Mustang though it’s incomplete it would do as it’s at the end of the garden and only used for a few pots and a a couple of metal chairs. It’s just a shame I have some decking now which is in very good condition spare.

even my neighbour mentioned that because it is treated timber it can’t be burnt in her coal fire. Perhaps I should try to sell it locally, that’s if I decide to do without it.

(great you Learned a new word! ?)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    @Chloe_Scope @Tori_Scope we definitely need to organise a caterpillar cake themed party!!  

@leeCal I got through although there weren't any appointments for a couple of weeks.  Never-mind.  The NHS are under a lot of pressure at the moment aren't they?

Any goals for today everyone?  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    My goal for today has been sorting my sons room so i can move my collection into it, he has moved to London for Uni, sad to see him go, but know he will do well, a new adventure for him, so i'm taking over his room  swapping from the small box room to his larger room, it'll take a while to do as i'm not very mobile at the minute, but with my wifes help it should be good
  • janer1967
    @grinchy That sounds like a productive plan may as well put the extra room to good use I presume your son doesnt intend to return home after uni

My plans for today completed this morning I was up earlier than usual making sure the boy got off yo school ok, wrapped his presents and baked his cake will decorate it tomorrow
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Grinchy aww has it felt strange since he went?  What is your collection?

@janer1967 well done on the early goal completion! Get you! I hope your son has a lovely birthday weekend.

• janer1967
  • leeCal
    I’m still working on the patio thingy. Bagged up ten rubble bags full of assorted concrete and rotten timber, so now I can see the wood for the trees, or now the dog can see the rabbit...but that’s another thread elsewhere.

so, quick cup of tea and back to work for me. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds like you've been very productive @leeCal, a cup of tea sounds lovely!

Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness