My goal today - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My goal today

Comments

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    thanks everyone, he has moved to london, we'll always have a room for him, its a bit strange without him, only been a couple of days since we dropped him off, its my star wars collection that i'm swapping rooms for
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    It must be very strange indeed @Grinchy, this can be a very emotional time of year for parents when the time comes to say goodbye to your child. I'm sure he'll do very well at uni though, what has he gone to study? 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sure he'll have a great time @Grinchy! It's bound to be weird at first, but you'll start to get used to the 'new normal' :D
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    He is studying musical theatre, a degree course of 3 years, we know he will do well, and we will miss him, but i know he will have a ball, 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Grinchy another old saying is need expands to meet space available, you may need to upsize eventually! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leecal - my property has decking to two sides. There was obviously quite a bit of decking left over so some raised beds were made. Might that be an idea? I have flowers, herbs & veg in mine. I found some smaller offcuts left in the shed, & turned these into 3 small containers for alpine plants, & a small 2 step plant stand.
    My joiner really wants to re-do my decking; he says it would look so much nicer (& bigger) if laid diagonally. He's shown me some great photos of the work he's done, doing 'things' diagonally from decking to paving. My decking hasn't got enough supports underneath unfortunately (I've gone through a step already, which he was able to fix), so it will need replacing, but can't afford this as yet.  :/
  • leeCal
    @chiarieds sounds like a good idea, I have quite a few nine foot lengths left over and I’ve made some shelving around the arid border to display pots on already. 

I think a planter or two or two would look good as you say. Or a trug. Diagonal boarding does look good I must say. My joists were made from ordinary fence posts laid on concrete and they rotted but the decking itself is still fine.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @leecal - sounds like you've already worked out how to use the surplus decking. My joists (didn't know the correct word for it) are of pre-treated timber, but too widely spaced apart, so my decking is 'bouncy' in places!
    At least you've got good decking timber which you can put to good use. Another week or so's work is all you'll need.... :)
  • Oscarb
    Oscarb Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    My goal today is to share my song about my CP with as many people I can! 

Please like, subscribe and share.

https://youtu.be/InULruQ9crs
  • leeCal
    Today I should finish my patio project, weathers fine, plenty of timber and screws, all I need is some energy! 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    We cant supply the energy Im afraid but we can cheer you on

Done most of my goals today just baked birthday cake and just got to cool before I decorate it  thats the fun bit
  • leeCal
    That’s it! @janer1967 what I need is a slice of cake for energy! Ha ha.

will you need to hide the cake for a day?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    No @leeCal I wont have to hide it he bas helped me make it and he will be putting his own artistic skills to the test decorating it.

Yes cake is always good for an energy boost
  • leeCal
    Done diddly done (Homers neighbour Ned)

now I just need a chair and a cup of coffee I think and ....zzzzz

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Whoop, well done @leeCal, did it go well? 

You've earned that coffee for sure :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    Yes it went well @Ross_Scope, I also have some spare timber left over so I expect to be making some more hits and pieces, that’s good for me I really should try to be more active. Thanks for support everyone! ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    My goal for tomorrow is probably not a goal for most people but a reward, but I will find it hard. I have to go to a restaurant and there will be a stranger (to me) there who is a family member’s new partner. I find it hard meeting new people.

I am semi looking forward to having a nice meal though :)
  • leeCal
    edited September 2020
    @66Mustang thinking about things beforehand always seems to make things worse, I was told years ago to not prejudge situations like parties, family get togethers etc but to wait and take things as they come. I used to put myself off so much I didn’t go out very often!

Im sure it’ll be great and you do know fifty percent of the people you’ll be meeting after all. Good luck with it ? and have a lovely meal.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    @66Mustang thinking about things beforehand always seems to make things worse, I was told years ago to not prejudge situations like parties, family get togethers etc but to wait and take things as they come. I used to put myself off so much I didn’t go out very often!

Im sure it’ll be great and you do know fifty percent of the people you’ll be meeting after all. Good luck with it ? and have a lovely meal.
    Thanks @leeCal

That makes a lot of sense, I will try to bear it in mind.

There are actually 6 people going including me and I know all of them but one so should be OK!
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
     Hello to the Scope community
    I set myself a goal this week of entring my poetry into free local poetry competitions which I have done  

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness