Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Deprivation of Capital Concerns

Options
ionosphere
ionosphere Community member Posts: 7 Listener
So, I got a significant back payment from Social Security Scotland — it was under £6 000, so I didn’t report it to the DWP, and then over the next couple of weeks, proceeded to spend it all on a few luxury purchases that I’ve been wanting for years (personal electronics, new clothes, kitchen gadgets) and paid off my credit card and bought a month’s wet cat food in advance. I wasn’t concerned about needing to keep any back, as my ADP award plus my current benefits (IR ESA) would be enough for me to live on month to month. 

However. I discovered yesterday that I may, at some indeterminate point in the near future, be getting additional money that’ll put me over the £6k benefits cap, and that might’ve put me over the hard £16k cap if I hadn’t spent my ADP back payment!

It’s something from my extended family abroad — I’m estranged, have very little contact with them and as of yet, I have no paperwork from them proving that the money exists, that they’ll give it to me and no reason to trust them on it. Further, because of where I’m from, there’s a good chance that I won’t be able to get the money anyway, as my birth country has faced financial and other sanctions from the EU, the UK and the USA, and thus it’s unclear if regular banking services would even be possible. 

What I’m worried about is that if the money comes through in the next couple of weeks, DWP might think I deliberately spend my back payment to avoid going over cap — the purchases were in character with what I’d get if I wasn’t on benefits and got a similar windfall, the clothes are from a shop I’ve patronised for years, and I am prone to impulsive spending due to my mental health issues, something that’s even been part of my ADP assessment. 

I’ve not yet reported the potential money from family to DWP, as I have zero proof of it ever existing, and I didn’t think I should report capital that I might be getting, with no paperwork proving that I’m entitled to it, from a place that has hostile diplomatic relations with my place of residence. 

I was also under the impression my benefit backpay would not be considered “savings” for 52 weeks, but when I phoned DWP to confirm, they said it would, which is why I’m worried.

Should I be at all worried? If I report a windfall payment, would I need to prove I have it and would that trigger an investigation into my spending?

I realise this is perhaps neurotic, but I’m very worried about potentially losing half of my benefits or having my ESA claim stopped and needing to reapply for UC, especially considering how draining assessments have been on my mental and physical health. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,405 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're correct that the money you received for what was owed is disregarded from your savings for 52 weeks. This means during that time you can spend it on anything you want to.

The money that you're expecting doesn't need to be reported now because you haven't received it yet. When it does go into your bank, if it's more than £6,000 (not including the backpay if it's less than a year since received) then you will need to report the changes to ESA. For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there's a £1/week deduction.

If you're claiming council tax reduction then some Local Authorities have a maximum savings limit of £6,000. Changes also need to be reported to your LA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ionosphere
    Options
    Thank you for the information! My LA does indeed have savings limits on legacy Housing Benefit, so I’ll have to remember to inform them as well should the money ever turn up. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Housing benefit has the same savings rules nationally. It's council tax reduction that maybe different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ionosphere
    Options
    Oh, my bad. I’ve just woken up, mixed up the two. Thank you for the correction! 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries. :)
  • sunshine2024
    sunshine2024 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Well done getting awarded ADP, if you don't mind me asking how long did you wait for a decision?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.