Advice please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice please

Options
MrsCactus9
MrsCactus9 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
My sister (17 years old) gets PIP and her and her BF have recently moved in with her dad, sister, dads gf and her son. Dad & GF get UC and other benefits, my sister who is 17 is going to be added to their UC claim, her BF who is almost 18 will not be on their UC claim. I suggested carers allowance to him for caring for my sister and her dads GF shot that down by saying it will impact their benefits / council tax etc. so can anyone help me with any advice on if him getting carers allowance whilst not claiming any benefits will do anything in regards to others in the household please :) thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Regarding your sister being added to the UC claim. Is she still a student in full time non advanced education? If so who claims child benefit for her at the moment?

Is her BF a student? If so then he won't be entitled to carers allowance for looking after her because full time students are unable to claim it. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Coming back to this, him claiming CA for her, providing she claims daily living PIP will not affect their UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MrsCactus9
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 currently no one claims for her, her dad will be as far as I’m aware. She gets higher daily living. My sister will be in college, not sure if it’ll be fully time. Unless 3 days a week is full time, same for her BF. Dads gf basically said it would affect their council tax reduction as the gf is a carer for her son as well as getting pip herself. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    12 hours/week or more is classed as full time so the father will be able to add your sister to his UC. Bearing in mind the 2 child limit for children born after 6th April 2017. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-families-with-more-than-2-children-information-for-claimants

As the Bf is also in full time education then he will not be able to claim carers allowance. (see link above)

• MrsCactus9
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you again, it’s crazy to think 12 hours is full time 🥲 I’ll let her know!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you again, it’s crazy to think 12 hours is full time 🥲 I’ll let her know!

Assuming your sister and her bf are in the same college, which is non advanced education. Your sister's dad is planning on adding her as a non dependant on his UC claim and for this she needs to be in full time non advanced education.
    You can't say in the one hand your sister is in full time education and her bf isn't, they can't have it both ways.
    Does anyone claim child benefit or tax credits/child element of UC for the bf?
  • MrsCactus9
    Options
    @poppy123456 as far as I’m aware they will both be going back to college come September on different subjects that they’re currently doing. I’ve let them know about the 12 hours is full time etc. I’m not too sure what claims her dad will be doing etc. I just wanted help about if he was the claim if it would impact anyone else’s benefits. I don’t know if her dad will apply for Carers allowance or not. Who knows. But thank you for the advice :) much appreciated 
  • MrsCactus9
    Options
    @poppy123456 just realised you asked about claiming for the BF. He’s mum currently claims for him still after kicking him out. So that’s a whole different kettle of fish. No one in my sisters household will be claiming for him. He’s a few months shy of 18 so I think he planned to get a part time job :)
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2023
    Options
    His mum currently claiming benefits for him as a dependant does mean he's still in full time education so there would be no entitlement to CA.

Her father can claim carers element of UC for looking after her providing he doesn't claim it for someone else and he's not claiming the LCWRA element for himself. You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element because it's just deducted in full from any UC entitlement anyway.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    I must agree - it is crazy
    A 12 hour week to me is just checking my emails once a day never mind answering them!
    At 74 I have only just retired permanently after 63 years of working!! Never been employed and at least half of those years were holding down two jobs.

• poppy123456
    Options
    I must agree - it is crazy
    A 12 hour week to me is just checking my emails once a day never mind answering them!
    At 74 I have only just retired permanently after 63 years of working!! Never been employed and at least half of those years were holding down two jobs.

12 hours is the time spend at college, most students spend far more than that studying at home. I know both my son and daughter did.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.