Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Alcohol taxes go up

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,315 Disability Gamechanger

Hoping to start a friendly discussion.

- tax on a bottle of spirits has gone up by around £1 on average (depends on strength)

- tax on wine has gone up around 50p (depends on strength)

- tax on beer and cider from shops is up but not from the pub

For a £16 bottle of spirits around £12 of it is tax. The spirit only actually costs £4.

Of note the majority of the tax (i.e. the duty, not the VAT) is a flat rate so as a percentage cheaper spirits will go up more.

E.g. 

A £10 bottle of cheap vodka will be ~£11 so a 10% increase

A £30 bottle of good single malt will be ~£31 so a 3% increase

Disproportionately increasing the cost of living for poor people again?

That said, there are 28 units of alcohol in a £10 bottle of vodka and there are 28 units of alcohol in a £1,000 bottle of prestige cognac. Both bottles do the same amount of damage to the body. So surely it’s fair to make everyone pay the same?

My opinion, just my opinion…as someone who used to have alcohol problems…I support putting the tax up by inflation especially if it raises more money for the government and I think people who have harmful habits should pay more as they will likely cost more…I now buy a nice bottle of whisky or cognac every few months instead of 2-3 cheap bottles a week so the tax increase doesn’t personally affect me as much.

Interested to know your thoughts. 👍

Comments

• dogsandcats
    dogsandcats Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    It sounds like you've got a much healthier relationship with alcohol nowadays! Congratulations on that, that must have been quite the journey to get to where you are now! I agree, its fair enough if the gov has to put taxes as it's harmful habits like you said. I do feel like the government should take a role in tackling the causes of alcoholism in the first place, i.e poverty, stress etc. What do you think?

Thanks for posing an interesting question by the way!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 53,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I only ever buy it for gifts which is also rare. Probably an Irish coffee twice a year if that. I don't think the tax is on par with cigarettes which are way higher. Also supermarkets bundle deals on cases of alcohol will always be a good price. 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    My attitude is to give up alcohol. I was always a social drinker then in 2004 I realised what it was doing to my body.
    I ceased consuming any form of alcohol on the 1st May 2004
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Options
    From my experience as an ex-drinker and ex-smoker ... no matter the increase if you want them, you'll buy them ?  At least I did.  

Ironically the price of zero beer/ lager is on par with 4.5%'ers 

As you say, the lower earners are being hit again, but sadly it's the way of the world ?

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche ... as they quaff their champagne  :o

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.