If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thinking ahead to the end of the year

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,140 Scope online community team
I know it's August and the festive season is probably the last thing on anyone's minds at the moment, despite retailers throwing up Christmas aisles like we're in the middle of advent!

So, I'm terrible at planning for Christmas in advance. Every year I start out with the best of intentions and then before I know it it's 23rd December and I've done nothing but procrastinate.

This year, with things as they are, I simply can't afford to leave it so late, but with all the uncertainty around costs and rising prices, it feels as though Christmas should be the last thing on my mind and is a frivolous expense.

I'm in a relatively fortunate position but I'm still worried about what our energy bill will look like this year and I know already that Christmas will look very different for my kids than they have in years gone by.  

Is anyone else thinking ahead or feeling the same way? 
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,896 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Christmas is not that far away, we buy throughout the year, we have bought less so far this year, i hope you get sorted out soon, my wife always finds a way to make Christmas enjoyable, she knows how important it is to me, i love seeing the decorations instore as well as all the associated things, i'm a bit weird like that though, lol
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,897 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's for too early for even the Christmas word 
  • Adeline
    Adeline Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options
    When you're living hand to mouth you can't afford to think ahead. I'm struggling with now, especially with school uniforms, the summer break, new school shoes, stationary and how I'll afford the bus fares come September. We ended up in so much debt from last winter and heating I don't know what we'll do this year. As for the C word, I really don't know. Buying through the year makes sense if you can afford it but when you have zero disposable income it isn't an option.
  • C_J
    C_J Community member Posts: 715 Pioneering
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Buying throughout the year is a good idea if you can manage it but I think everyone is kind of feeling the cost of living hitting them at the moment. It is nice to see the Christmas things in the shops. I shop nearer the time kind of last minute sometimes but that could be me being a little Choosey when I buy gifts for people.

I must admit that when I go shopping with someone else I can be a little embarrassing as when the Christmas things are out if there's a button to be pressed to try things I will be the one pressing the button or switching things on to try them.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've started looking now luckily we have a thing in the family where we all buy for the kids bit all the adults do a secret santa. So instead of buying all the adults an individual present, we buy 1 secret santa. Everyone gets a gift. We set an amount for all the secret santa gift that everyone sticks too. It works out well I think.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,810 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The hope is energy priced will come down again later this year and I think most people have Christmas whatever the circumstances but with mortgage cost rising and rents going up I suspect that Christmas 2023 will be a really tough one for families, my advice (for what its worth) would be to start planning now and where possible agree with adults that children should be the priority.

We are also buying some tinned and packet foods now to donate to local food bank in December.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am from a big family, so Christmases are always "big" but I've found a few ways to cut down costs. For example, I remember to maximise points through the year at retailers with loyalty or points cards. I usually save up enough to do some 3 for 2 offers at Boots and get some great gifts without spending money I wouldn't have already. If that makes sense? :D

Outside of energy bills, I think I am worried about enjoying this year. My health kept me housebound for so long and now I am getting out and about. I want to enjoy everything I missed out on for years. Unfortunately, "everything" is just so expensive. Like going to the theatre or getting together with friends and family for meals. Even with wanting to see the Christmas lights turned on, something that is free, but I have to take travel costs into account. I have definitely had to change my way of budgeting to enjoy doing things I has labelled as undoable for so long. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 589 Pioneering
    Options
    I have always planned Xmas well in advance and buy pressies throughout the year. I also buy food for the freezer. The Xmas menu is planned months in advance. Essentially, when Xmas does truck up on the doorstep, I don't have much to do and the expense has already been met; the forward planning pays dividends for me. When things have been financially bad and times tough, by forward planning I still manage a good Xmas. I also avoid the Xmas shopping crowds.

My partner died in 2019, all my friends have moved away or "gone abroad", I have no family so Xmas is now spent alone. But I still plan Xmas with military precision and get myself in the mood.

I do feel sorry for people with kids who are feeling the pinch. My mum struggled financially and Xmas was always quite sparse. Fortunately I am only accountable to/for myself, but if I had a lot of family commitments I would be worried.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.