More WCA reviews to be carried out, DWP warn — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

More WCA reviews to be carried out, DWP warn

Options
AtlasShoulders
AtlasShoulders Community member Posts: 42 Connected
You may have seen the post on the Benefit and Work site about the latest news from DWP that more WCA reviews will be carried out:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/more-wca-reviews-to-be-carried-out,-dwp-warns

Interestingly, this is not an increase of WCAs themselves; which DWP is still working to prioritise for new claims.

Rather, these will be "Department-led reassessments", likely carried out directly by DWP Decision Makers based on the previous assessment findings and any new evidence.

We've been hearing a lot of people saying that they have been contacted via their UC Journal requesting permission for the DWP to contact their GP. It seems the aim is to establish, primarily, whether there is justification to simply extend the existing LCW/LCWRA claim unamended (which would be the quickest solution for DWP).

I'm not sure whether they would be able to justify removing an LCW/LCWRA award without a full reassessment. If they did, I suspect it would leave them wide open to MR and Tribunals. Most likely, if they don't get a response through the UC Journal, they will either have to make a decision based on the existing evidence, or just send out a UC50 and go through the full reassessment route.

In any case, it's certainly worthwhile keeping your GP updated about your current situation, and gaining any evidence you can, so that if the DWP contacts you/your GP, there may be a greater chance of a more successful outcome.
Tagged:

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    I guess they'd have to go through a full reassessment?

My main problem is if someone has recently moved and hasn't seen much of their new GP, this could lead to an increase in reassessments and not an increase in length of current awarded claims.  Especially as it's so hard to get a GP appointment these days. 

This is all just personal experience of course. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • AtlasShoulders
    Options
    I guess they'd have to go through a full reassessment?

My main problem is if someone has recently moved and hasn't seen much of their new GP, this could lead to an increase in reassessments and not an increase in length of current awarded claims.  Especially as it's so hard to get a GP appointment these days. 

This is all just personal experience of course. 
    Absolutely agree. In this post-COVID age, it can be so difficult to build a trusting relationship with a GP. In some cases, appointments are still remote, and in others you never see the same GP twice. 

If you have a good GP, and you know that they understand your condition, then there would be no issue with DWP contacting them.

However, if you suspect your GP would not be helpful, or even actively unhelpful, it can be quite a conundrum. Do you play it tactically and ignore the UC journal message in the hope that the DWP takes the easy route of just extending the claim, or do you give the GPs details and hope that they give an accurate report of your circumstances. I guess the worst case scenario is that you have to go through the whole reassessment process in full, in which case you'd need to have sufficient evidence that your condition has not improved.
  • perdita
    perdita Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Totally agree with the above, having recently moved myself. Though, touch wood, my new surgery is far more accommodating than my previous one. 
    My other concern is that the DWP shouldn't 'bite off more than it can chew' so to speak. Having sent back my ESA 50 back in July and have yet to hear back from them, I believe they should concentrate on the ones they have already started without adding to both their own stress and the individuals waiting to hear. 
    I have had several conversations on this forum with individuals who are in the same position as myself who are waiting for the post each day wondering if today will bring the dreaded letter. As I  have not yet received a date for an assessment and then ķnow it will probably be at least 12 weeks after that before I can get any relief from this intolerable wait. I don't think that they should add more ill
    people to this until they are in a position to complete in a reasonable timescale. But wishful thinking no doubt.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Our surgery has merged with seven others over the last 18 months and you never (not rarely but never) see the same GP, in fact moat of them rarely stay more than a few months.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Zero
    Zero Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

My previous GP was amazing, she’d been my GP for 30 years and was completely in my corner medically and when I needed help with DWP, she retired pre-Covid.

In the following 4 years I’ve never seen my new GP f2f and he actually asked me how long in had cerebral palsy!

So, I’ve booked an appointment to meet him and update him before the DWP contact him. Wish me luck, I think I might need it.  

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    AtlasShoulders said:
    In any case, it's certainly worthwhile keeping your GP updated about your current situation, and gaining any evidence you can, so that if the DWP contacts you/your GP, there may be a greater chance of a more successful outcome.
    We also have members who due to their health conditions are simply unable to contact their GPs.

With my PIP assessment I'd mentioned I'd previously written in the form that I had a congenital disorder, & was asked by the assessor how long I'd had it! I can hardly believe a GP also saying this @Zero Hope you sort your GP out

• AtlasShoulders
    Options
    Zero said:

My previous GP was amazing, she’d been my GP for 30 years and was completely in my corner medically and when I needed help with DWP, she retired pre-Covid.

In the following 4 years I’ve never seen my new GP f2f and he actually asked me how long in had cerebral palsy!

So, I’ve booked an appointment to meet him and update him before the DWP contact him. Wish me luck, I think I might need it.  

Blimey! This is precisely what I mean. GPs come and go, and they never bother to check through your history. They just treat each symptom independently and don't join the dots. It's definitely good to get them on side sooner rather than later, and let them know exactly how the condition is affecting you, both medically and functionally.
  • AtlasShoulders
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    We also have members who due to their health conditions are simply unable to contact their GPs.

That's certainly a challenge. I would hope that in those circumstances the GP would already be aware of the severity of the condition, though in reality that is probably a false hope. 

chiarieds said:
    With my PIP assessment I'd mentioned I'd previously written in the form that I had a congenital disorder, & was asked by the assessor how long I'd had it! I can hardly believe a GP also saying this

The problem with some PIP assessors is that they don't think. They just follow their script of questions and write down what you say (or what supports their narrative). Without a good GP on your side, the assessor's opinion is taken as gospel.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Almost cringes; as a long retired physio, then the assessor's should IMHO have a better understanding of at least the commoner disorders, but not to know what 'congenital' means, I have no words. My gripe with PIP assessments is, that as you say, they have to look at the descriptors, what the claimant has said, then form their own opinion.....only they can't just do that, & have some awful 'cut & paste' answers they have to use, which often bear little relationship to the problems a person may have ( & can unintentionally cause a lot of distress to the claimant). I just so wish they could simply summarise their opinion, like a well considered report. However, as has often been said on this forum, at least as far as PIP goes, a GP would rarely know problems you have with dressing, bathing, using the toilet, budgeting, etc. The onus unfortunately really is with the claimant.
  • shellbell20
    shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
    edited October 2023
    Options
    What about the news today,  it looks like people might get bullied to find work, as they say, it's not right that people who aren't searching for jobs should be paid the same as people who are. They are going to announce it in their budget and I know before even listening to the budget or statement or whatever they call it,  it's going to cause an uproar. They should focus on incentives to get people back to work and safety nets for disabled people if they feel it is too much once in work, rather than the draconian tactics that they use and are known for.  My son just emailed me from Japan and is in an uproar about the HS2 link that has been abolished from Manchester.  He has told me he is going to register to vote from Japan to get them out. I don't normally register but I am also going to do the same. Also, I think it's abhorrent they are cutting civil service jobs, when we all know the wait for PIP or any type of assessment is a very long wait, how does that help anyone?  They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, especially the way they are treating disabled people, there should be a petition started if not already to tell them that the common people who vote, have had enough! Sorry for the rant, but I find it all despicable.  
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    @shellbell20 we don't know for certain yet what is going to be proposed, so let's try not to think too much about it until we have actual information put in front of us.  Currently it's just conjecture and we don't want to panic anyone. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    @shellbell20 we don't know for certain yet what is going to be proposed, so let's try not to think too much about it until we have actual information put in front of us.  Currently it's just conjecture and we don't want to panic anyone. 
    Yes, I am not wanting to panic anyone, although it is giving me really bad anxiety. 
  • AtlasShoulders
    Options
    Yes, I am not wanting to panic anyone, although it is giving me really bad anxiety. 
    I know it seems like there is a lot coming our way all at once, and it can feel quite daunting. As Albus says, we don't want to panic and overthink things when we don't have all the details. All we can do is prepare what we can to have the best chance at WCA/Reassessment and support each other with advice and kindness.
  • shellbell20
    Options
     I hear what you're saying @AtlasShoulders and what Albus said, however, I have severe anxiety and with that comes worry and overthinking things. I want to be personally prepared for each eventuality, I most certainly don't want to scaremonger, that is not my intention at all.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.