Back pain. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back pain.

Options
Strawberry1
Strawberry1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,567 Disability Gamechanger
I have had problems with my back for a good few years now.  Despite pain meds , physio and injections it never really goes away . It cam be so uncomfortable at times . I take meds at night which help me sleep as soon as I'm awake it's there again. On a waiting list to see what they might be able to do next. They have said the  waiting list is very long. Just plodding on I suppose. 

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have had problems with my back for a good few years now.  Despite pain meds , physio and injections it never really goes away . It cam be so uncomfortable at times . I take meds at night which help me sleep as soon as I'm awake it's there again. On a waiting list to see what they might be able to do next. They have said the  waiting list is very long. Just plodding on I suppose. 
    I'm waiting to hear from the pain management clinic for scoliosis, gps say they did the referral on sep 12........
    If it's your spine they can put you on something called the spinal pathway. 
    Do you know what's causing the back problems.
  • Youdisabledx2
    Youdisabledx2 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Have you looked into going to a Chiropractor?  I have to say they fixed my back problem and I know it depends what is wrong but its worth the try?
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    Hello @Bettahm , Hello @Youdisabledx2 ,  basically I have bulging discs plus I'm prone to bursitis in my hips . You both probably already know this but it's like pain from the bottom of the back which goes all the way down the legs . It actually feels like someone is sticking a knife into my back . Had MRI ,  to confirm it . I wish you lots of luck @Bettahm with everything.  I'm on meds to take which I take at night to help me sleep if not I would not be able to sleep.  As for a chiropractor I believe they can be expensive  . Could I be incorrect with that I'm not sure.  @Youdisabledx2 so pleased to here the chiropractor helped . Nothing worse than being in agony . Thank you so much both of you for you support and time it appreciated more than you will ever know.  Thank you never seems enough sometimes . Sorry for the long answer  . Please take care of yourselves. 
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Hello @Bettahm , Hello @Youdisabledx2 ,  basically I have bulging discs plus I'm prone to bursitis in my hips . You both probably already know this but it's like pain from the bottom of the back which goes all the way down the legs . It actually feels like someone is sticking a knife into my back . Had MRI ,  to confirm it . I wish you lots of luck @Bettahm with everything.  I'm on meds to take which I take at night to help me sleep if not I would not be able to sleep.  As for a chiropractor I believe they can be expensive  . Could I be incorrect with that I'm not sure.  @Youdisabledx2 so pleased to here the chiropractor helped . Nothing worse than being in agony . Thank you so much both of you for you support and time it appreciated more than you will ever know.  Thank you never seems enough sometimes . Sorry for the long answer  . Please take care of yourselves. 
    Yes chiropractors are expensive! I looked into it a few years back.
    Maybe a referral to the pain management clinic may help you.
    Think anything back related is a loooong wait by the looks of things, why I'm hoping pain management clinic can help me.

• Strawberry1
    Options
    Hi @Bettahm , in the long run I think that's the way things will go down the pain management way . I wish you all the luck in the world with you treatment keep me updated in the meantime take care of yourself and be kind to yourself too  . I thought chiropractors were expensive through word of mouth I was informed.  Thank you so much again for everything. Take care 😊
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Hi @Bettahm , in the long run I think that's the way things will go down the pain management way . I wish you all the luck in the world with you treatment keep me updated in the meantime take care of yourself and be kind to yourself too  . I thought chiropractors were expensive through word of mouth I was informed.  Thank you so much again for everything. Take care 😊
    You take care too my friend. The CPN at CMHT recommended the pain management clinic to me. So I took his advise but again the wait seems forever so jump in quick if you think it may help!
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    Bless you @Bettahm . Glad you managed to get on the list . I do believe it is a long wait hopefully not too long . Fingers crossed for both of us . Let's make a wish for it not to be too long .
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Bless you @Bettahm . Glad you managed to get on the list . I do believe it is a long wait hopefully not too long . Fingers crossed for both of us . Let's make a wish for it not to be too long .
    Let's see who gets there first!
    All Best Wishes
    God Bless 
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    God bless you too @Bettahm . Take care. 
  • Youdisabledx2
    Youdisabledx2 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    I hope you both get good results on the pain management clinic. With regard to the Chiropractor it was costing me £40 per session which I thought was quite reasonable. 
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    Thank you @Youdisabledx2 . I suppose 40 pounds isn't majorly too expensive in layman's terms.  I will see how it goes with the waiting time  . Thanks again I appreciate your support.  High 5 .
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Strawberry1 - & sorry you're suffering so. I'm replying as you mention hip bursitis, something I've suffered on a few occasions. Speaking also as a long retired physio, my GP virtually said, go heal yourself, which I thankfully did. Appreciating you also have back pain as do I, but from different problems to yourself, perhaps you might just try a couple of simple exercises to help with bursitis. 
    The first is to try & help with stability of your hip joint, which is actually helped by clenching your buttocks. The 2nd is moving your hip away from your body, which stretches the muscles that move your hip towards the other leg. This is first best done with your knee bent to about 90 degrees either lying on your bed or on the sofa, then keeping your foot on the bed/sofa let your hip fall out to the side until you feel a gentle stretch in your inner thigh. Progress to doing this with a straight leg either lying on your bed & moving your leg out sideways; lying on your unaffected side & lifting a straight leg upwards away from your body, or doing the same in standing.
    If you're able to manage these, do start slowly, & build up very gradually, & stop if this causes you undue pain. All being well, a little & often may help.
    I would be a tad wary of a chiropractor/osteopath unless they can see your medical history. I know I can't either, which is why I'd only mention the simplest of exercises, which will do no harm; I certainly wouldn't do any manipulations without knowing a patients history.
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    Hi @chiarieds , apologies for my late response I've been eating and bathing and watching TV.  That's very kind of you to tell me as much information as you have done . I will read up on it more closely very soon and give them a try . Thanks for your time and support it's appreciated more than you will ever know. I'm also grateful for the information about the chiropractors I would never have even considered that info . Very good advice.  Brilliant.  Thank you and High 5 . Take care of yourself too . Best wishes. 
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    @chiarieds , please excuse my manners I am sorry to hear you have had bursitis too . Its not very nice to have. I hope you don't get it too much because it really is not nice . Hoping and praying you don't have many more episodes of it . Please take care of yourself. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.