Had a telephone appointment today from Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had a telephone appointment today from Universal Credit

Options
LML86
LML86 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
I had a call from Universal Credit today and it wasn't the lady I have been speaking to it was another work coach, I have to have telephone appointments because of my mental health and I have limited capability for work. But with my anxiety and depression I have been struggling because of being bullied in my last job and the lady I usually speak to is very understanding, The lady today wasn't helping my anxiety I had to explain about my mental health. She asked has my illness improved and if I can attend courses to help for work I told her no because I am depressed and I get very anxious, I told her I have applied for PIP because of my health and then she went on talking about my commitments and uploading my recent CV I have been feeing sick all morning because I am not in the right frame of mind to get ready for employment she just didn't seem to care.

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,496 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @LML86. Sorry this happened to you. It's so horrible to have to explain yourself to someone new, especially if they're not very understanding.

How often do you usually speak to your work coach? Perhaps your regular coach was off sick or on holiday. I know that doesn't make today's call any less upsetting, but hopefully your regular coach will be back next time and can help you feel better about things.

Do you have any friends or family around who you can chat through the experience with?

Hope you're feeling better soon, be extra gentle with yourself today.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you were found to have just LCW instead of LCWRA then yes they can ask
    you to attend different courses to prepare you for work in the future. Or do other commitments such as CV’s etc.

When was the decision made on your work capability assessment? If it was within the last 13 months then you can challenge that decision by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. If you’re outside the 1 month timeframe you need to tell them why you didn’t request it within that time. Do be aware that they won’t take into consideration any worsening of condition since the assessment took place.

If you’re outside the 13 months then you can report a change of circumstances and tell them your health conditions have got worse. You will need to provide fit notes for this and continue to send them without any gaps until another decision is made on your WCA.

You will be referred for another WCA and be sent another UC50 form to fill in and return. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LML86
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi poppy123456 Thank you for your reply I has my assessment last year, I do really struggle with social anxiety and my last employers where aware of this and It has just made my mental health worse. I want to get myself better before I can attend courses and I don't want to start a new job feeling depressed

Thank you for the Information you have sent me

Lisa [Removed by moderator – personal information]
  • LML86
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi @Rosie_Scope Thank you for your reply I have to have telephone appointment's with my work coach because of my anxiety and they are usually every 3 months, I have applied for PIP so I'm just waiting for a form now I do not feel well enough to be going on courses and starting a new job. I do have my mum to talk to I don't know where I would be if I didn't have her she has been my rock and helping me because of my mental health. Thank you
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If your commitments change then you may have no option but to attend the appointments. They could apply a sanction if you don’t. 

Did you have a look at the descriptors for LCWRA? Was the decision made less than 13 months ago? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • LML86
    Options
    I have been having telephone appointments because of my anxiety and I was speaking to a different work coach today on the phone not my usual I always agree to my commitments, The decision was made last October 2022 for my work assessment.

And I have had a look at the LCWRA descriptors and I can relate to questions 12 Can't cope with change because of my mental disorder. And question 13 Coping with social engagement, Due to mental disorder.

• poppy123456
    Options
    I didn't say you didn't agree to them, i said if they change them. You could be too late to challenge the decision but it will depend on exactly what date the decision was made. 13 months is the absolute deadline.

You can go down the change of health condition route as i advised above but please be aware that the decision could either remain the same, be found to have LCWRA or fit for work.
  • LML86
    Options
    okay thank you for your advice, I will look up on the information about the health condition route because I was unaware of the UC50 form.

Thanks again have a lovely evening 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You should have received the UC50 form for your WCA a year or so ago, that was how you were found to have LCW. The process is exactly the same as that. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition

UC50 form here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uc50-form-universal-credit-capability-for-work-questionnaire please do not fill that form in because if you do and send it then they will ignore it. You need to report a change of circumstances as i advised here.
    you can report a change of circumstances and tell them your health conditions have got worse. You will need to provide fit notes for this and continue to send them without any gaps until another decision is made on your WCA.

You will be referred for another WCA and be sent another UC50 form to fill in and return. 

Once you're referred you will receive a letter on your journal telling you they are referring you. You will then receive the form a few days later in the post.

• Echo25
    Echo25 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Oh my goodness,that is so awful for you. I can really empathise with what you said.  I am not as well informed as other people on this topic.  But I would say get back up ...go to your G.P ...ask to be referred for extra support by zoom if you find it hard to leave the house. Get your medication changed or increased.
    Let your GP know you are at breaking point. Ask to be referred to a psychiatrist. Make a paper trail to support your claim. I think you should do this...drag a friend along for support. You are clearly not well enough to have this sort of pressure. 
    Do let us all know how you get on. Love Echo. x Ask for a social worker!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.