Hi, my name is loulourocks!/Advice on council visit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is loulourocks!/Advice on council visit

Options
loulourocks
loulourocks Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi All. I have Fibromyalgia, asthma and depression coupled with anxiety. I have placed an application for housing with my local council. I currently live in a HA two bedroom house and have requested a bungalow. Housing had my medical records and stated this wasn't enough to make me a priority to rehouse and put me in the lowest band. I appealed the decision in writing and now they want to visit me at home to see for themselves how the house affects me. So I have agreed however... When they arrive it may be that I'm not particularly painful that day or my asthma is under control. The depression is heightened by the noise from my neighbours so that's one aspect. I am new to all of this. Can anyone tell me what to expect please?
Tagged:

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi there @loulourocks and welcome to the community. :)

Sorry to hear you're struggling with your neighbours. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your appeal. 

I'm just going to move your post to a different category, so more people in the know will be able to see it and hopefully offer some top advice.  I hope that's ok?
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • sasqatch
    sasqatch Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Options
    Hi All. I have Fibromyalgia, asthma and depression coupled with anxiety. I have placed an application for housing with my local council. I currently live in a HA two bedroom house and have requested a bungalow. Housing had my medical records and stated this wasn't enough to make me a priority to rehouse and put me in the lowest band. I appealed the decision in writing and now they want to visit me at home to see for themselves how the house affects me. So I have agreed however... When they arrive it may be that I'm not particularly painful that day or my asthma is under control. The depression is heightened by the noise from my neighbours so that's one aspect. I am new to all of this. Can anyone tell me what to expect please?
    I feel for you, unfortunately, I can't give advice, but Shelter might be able to help. Do you have friends or family who can speak for you and give you some support?  It's not a nice experience when you live through your daily struggles and you have to prove it and you're right the pain or asthma might not be affecting you that day, our disabilities don't choose when to come out on command.

I am currently in a similar situation, I have Fibromyalgia, arthritis in my spine and big toes of all places, I also have another illness that affects my balance,  severe depression and anxiety to mention a few. I sent a letter from my psychologist to the local housing authority a few months ago but nothing changed. I did not go up a band, nor did they acknowledge the letter that I sent to them.  I tried to ring them about everything and each time it said that they were busy due to a high number of calls, then my call kept getting terminated after their high call volume message. I emailed them to say I couldn't get through and told them my calls kept getting terminated. I explained my situation in detail, and their reply was for me to phone them. Go figure! 

My psychologist's report said it was an urgent referral to move me to be near my family for help due to my mental health and physical,  but they seemed to ignore that letter.  So I emailed my MP and that is where it stands right now. I also have a problematic neighbour who has made my life so hard here, constant parties. I can no longer go out as my anxiety is through the roof and I am scared I might bump into her and there might be an altercation.

Let me know how you get on and I in turn will do the same.
  • loulourocks
    Options
    @sasqatch thank you for your response. It seems we are in a similar predicate. I'm having the visit on the 19th so I'll let you know how it turns out. They're only visiting because I asked for a right to review my banding. Think it's just a tick box exercise to be honest. I wish you luck. Let me know how you get on.
  • sasqatch
    sasqatch Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Options
    @sasqatch thank you for your response. It seems we are in a similar predicate. I'm having the visit on the 19th so I'll let you know how it turns out. They're only visiting because I asked for a right to review my banding. Think it's just a tick box exercise to be honest. I wish you luck. Let me know how you get on.
    I am no expert, I don't know how these things work, but I do wonder if they will look to see if you have things like a  walking stick for mobility, or perhaps a raised toilet seat, or a chair next to the bed to help get out of the bed etc, a bit like the PIP questions?  I hope someone on this forum who has been through a similar experience might be able to share it with you.  I am guessing that each council has its own set of rules. 

Perhaps ring them or ask someone to ring on your behalf and ask them what to expect from the home visit,  it might help to say you need to know beforehand due to your anxiety. I know I need to know things in advance with my anxiety, or else I tend to worry a lot about everything.

As soon as I receive a reply, I will make sure I let you know and hopefully, it is an outcome we are both happy with.  I hate to have to lobby my MP, but I have learnt in life that those who shout louder or make their presence known tend to complete the race quicker.  Good luck! :)
  • Aphrodite_Persephone
    Aphrodite_Persephone Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    Hiya. I also have fibromyalgia and I've been placed into Band B based on medical grounds only last month. What you need is for an Occupational Therapist to visit your home to do a housing needs assessment. This is the only thing that councils & housing associations accept for you to be assessed and awarded medial priority banding.

Like you I'd initially sent in letters and reports from various healthcare professionals regarding my medical condition, how it affects me and the need for more suitable housing. All was rejected but my housing officer informed that I needed an OT housing needs assessment, which he requested. I was lucky as it only took two or three months (brain fog ha ha) to get allocated an OT who then came out within two weeks to do the assessment. As for others it's taken up to a year to be just allocated one.

Good luck
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Referring yourself for a needs assessment will definitely be the place to start. Whether a bungalow is possible will depend on the rules in your LA. Some of them are age related. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I have fibro, as well as other conditions too. I had a needs assessment in the home where i currently live. Adaptions were recommended but the landlord refused to allow them. (privately rented) I put my name down on the housing list in April 2023. At first i was placed into band D. Then my OT contacted the housing team and sent them her written report. From there i was placed into urgently medical priority from 2nd week of August. I could only bid on adapted properities. I placed 5 bids and was then offered a 2 bed house at the start of December. I viewed it, loved it, accepted it. Signed the tenancy agreement and picked the keys up on 18th Dec. I'm moving in Saturday this week.

It's not always a quick process as it will depend on the waiting list in your area. Some are longer than others.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • loulourocks
    Options
    Thank you Poppy. What sort of questions were asked when they did the home visit?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The asked me about my health conditions and the difficulties I had around the home. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • loulourocks
    Options
    Thank you. Best of luck in your new home.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    Referring yourself for a needs assessment will definitely be the place to start. Whether a bungalow is possible will depend on the rules in your LA. Some of them are age related. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I have fibro, as well as other conditions too. I had a needs assessment in the home where i currently live. Adaptions were recommended but the landlord refused to allow them. (privately rented) I put my name down on the housing list in April 2023. At first i was placed into band D. Then my OT contacted the housing team and sent them her written report. From there i was placed into urgently medical priority from 2nd week of August. I could only bid on adapted properities. I placed 5 bids and was then offered a 2 bed house at the start of December. I viewed it, loved it, accepted it. Signed the tenancy agreement and picked the keys up on 18th Dec. I'm moving in Saturday this week.

It's not always a quick process as it will depend on the waiting list in your area. Some are longer than others.

Hello Poppy12345 I'm so pleased to hear that you will be moving into your new adapted house soon. I hope you will be very happy there. You deserve it! 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thank you both! @Cressida that’s very kind of you! I’m super excited and can’t remember the last time I felt this way about moving house. 

Carpets are being put down as I type this and the painter and decorator is starting the afternoon. Can’t wait to see the finished result. 

I’m also looking forward to my house being a little more organised. Living around boxes for the past couple of weeks isn’t fun. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.