Hi, my name is penguinmom! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is penguinmom!

penguinmom Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Ive found this forum quite by chance and I'm so pleased I have.
My 35 year old son has HSP it started about 9 years ago,  small falls, developing into dragging of the one leg and a profound gait, he was often refused entry into pubs because the staff would think he was drunk. Over the last 9 years it has become worse he walks with sticks or crutches, he has the restless legs and cramps, being prescribed baclofen, which has its own side effects, urgency for the loo or not being able to go.
My son has been diagnosed with uncomplicated HSP, it effects his legs only, our problem is he is hardly ever seen by any consultant or physio his basically left to get on with it, which he does and never complains, its me who worries,  what his future will be like, how bad will it get and i wont be around forever.
He doesn't know ive joined this forum but ive done it so I can get a better insight into how you wonderful people cope and have you found any treatments or things that make your life a little easier, I would really be interested.

Thank you for reading 😊


  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,705 Scope online community team
    Hi @penguinmom, welcome to the community! It's always nice to hear that people are pleased at finding this place :) 

    Does he receive any benefits at all? As it sounds like this could come under the mobility criteria? I can understand his mindset, I used to have the same I think. I'd try to avoid getting help as I thought it was "making a fuss". Took me a long time to think otherwise! There is quite a bit of support out there, not just the NHS. He can contact his local authority to do an assessment of his home too to see if he needs any adaptations made for instance.

    Thank you for writing all that out. I hope we can help you, and your son through you :)
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.