Random Acts of Kindness Challenge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Random Acts of Kindness Challenge

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,045 Scope online community team
Ahead of Random Acts of Kindness Day on 17 February, we're challenging Scope's online community to collectively come up with at least 25 different random acts of kindness we could all take part in.

Random Acts of Kindness Day is an opportunity for people to spread positivity by doing something kind for others without expecting anything in return. The goal is to create a ripple effect of goodwill, making the world a better place through simple acts of kindness and generosity.

So, let's unite and create a list of 25 heart-warming acts as a community.

Here's two to get you started:
  1. Give a genuine and unexpected compliment (bonus points if it's to a stranger!)
  2. Write a thank-you note to someone who makes a difference in your life
Over to you!
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I want to say I have been feeling sad for the last few weeks due to being lonely but this was enhanced today being valentines day and I posted on the forum and received lots of nice supportive comments. I want to say they made a real difference to my day and really picked me up so I am really grateful for that. I know the majority will have read my comment (or maybe not even read it) and then clicked away, but to the select people who took the time to say something nice it really made a difference to someone's mental state of mind and I can't say thank you enough. :blush:

I suppose that I often commit random acts of kindness while out driving, because the vast majority of the time I am out for fun with nowhere specific that I need to be. This involves just simple things like giving way to people when it is technically my "right of way".

Another one, which some people may not be able to afford, is paying for someone's food in a restaurant. This is more common in the USA where soldiers and police officers etc. often have their food bought for them by random strangers but perhaps in this country the NHS is seen as special so people could do the same for nurses or other staff. Or of course anyone regardless of their profession.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Glad the community has been there for you @66Mustang, sometimes one little sentence can make all the difference. :) 

I've offered to cook on the 17th. They've said no, but appreciated the gesture.  

Another could be donating a book to your local free book library if there's one near you? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,450 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Be prepared to listen to people. If someone speaks to me in the supermarket I will always have a little chat even if I do not know them. I might be the only person they speak to that day. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    I think that's quite a common feeling this time of year @66Mustang. I'm sorry you've not been feeling great and I'm honestly so glad the community has been able to help you a little.

Some other nice suggestions too. I always try to give way when driving or letting people out and like the idea of paying for a stranger's meal or shopping too.

Adding those three to the list we have:
    1. Give a genuine and unexpected compliment (bonus points if it's to a stranger!)
    3. Taking time to respond to someone's message online
    4. Giving way to someone when driving
    5. Buying a meal for a stranger
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    I've offered to cook on the 17th. They've said no, but appreciated the gesture.  
    You can cook me a meal if you like @Albus_Scope? :D 

6. Offering to cook
    7. Donating a book to your local free library
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Beaver79 said:
    Be prepared to listen to people. If someone speaks to me in the supermarket I will always have a little chat even if I do not know them. I might be the only person they speak to that day. 
    That's a really nice one and I'm going to try and make more effort to do the same. I'm often rushing about and don't always take the time. 

8. Be prepared to listen to people.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    You can cook me a meal if you like @Albus_Scope? :D 

The gesture is a random act of kindness, the actual cooking may not be.  :s

Carrying on from @Beaver79s thoughts. A very simple "How are you?" can be the most amazing and heart warming thing you can ask someone. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Reaching out to someone to see how they are - this always means so much to me

Sending a surprise gift. I've sent and received a few of these over the years and honestly it was the highlight of my year each time. They don't have to be expensive, the fact someone spends time thinking enough about you and sending something means so much

A handwritten letter or note. Same as above. The effort really is appreciated!!!
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine would be forgiveness. 
    Its something I struggle with. Once someone hurts me physically or emotionally or lies to me. I can not forget or forgive. 

So forgiveness is huge for me to give. 
  • han233
    han233 Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    Options
    What a lovely idea!! I always try and think positive and never judge anyone,my act of kindness is give people positive vibes even just a smile 😊 sending everyone who reads this positive vibes 🙏☺️
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Awww I love that @han233 <3<3 A smile can make such a big difference!!! Sending you back positive vibes too 😊
  • han233
    han233 Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you 😊 x
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Forgiveness really is one of the best acts of kindness a person can give @Ada :)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited February 15
    Options
    There are some really good ideas so far, thanks for the additions @Biblioklept, @Ada and @han233
    A handwritten letter or note. Same as above. The effort really is appreciated!!!
    Yesterday evening some local teenagers were handing out hand-drawn hearts on little bits of paper to strangers which I thought was nice. It certainly raised a few smiles. I'm definitely guilty of not taking time to write handwritten notes or letters.
    Ada said:
    Mine would be forgiveness. 
    Forgiveness is a great one, thanks @Ada
    han233 said:
    What a lovely idea!! I always try and think positive and never judge anyone,my act of kindness is give people positive vibes even just a smile 😊 
    A well-intentioned smile always brightens my day. They seem to be contagious. :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    3. Taking time to respond to someone's message online
    4. Giving way to someone when driving
    5. Buying a meal for a stranger
    6. Offering to cook
    7. Donating a book to your local free library
    8. Be prepared to listen to people.
    9. Asking someone how they are
    10. Sending a surprise gift
    11. A hand-written note or letter
    12. Offering forgiveness
    13. Not judging someone
    14. Sending positive vibes, even if it's just a smile :)
    15. ...
    Any more we can think of? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    This is fairly specific, but if you play video games with someone, maybe help them with a quest they're stuck on, or to get an achievement they need.  :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Letting someone go before you in a queue is always a nice one :)
    Rosie (she/her)

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Giving to anyone needy enough to be on a pavement or park bench or in a tent - a smile or hello water food money cigarettes an umbrella or a scarf, anything to acknowledge that they exist - is kindness I believe. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.