Feeling really stressed

DJS7P
DJS7P Community member Posts: 27 Contributor

Hello everyone

Last night I went with my partner to walk our dog at a nearby beach, and the sheer amount of people, noise and the general environment made me feel really teary, stressed and shaky.

Does anybody else with ASD feel this way with crowds and noise?

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Morning @DJS7P.

I don't have ASD but do have anxiety. I get similar feelings when it's busy. I also start to feel dizzy as there's so much going on around me and I'm trying to process it all. Do you have support in place to help you deal with these feelings? I have antidepressants and found DBT to be very helpful but everyone's different so it's finding what works for you.

• AKR
    AKR Community member Posts: 159 Empowering

Yes, I have the same issues as a result of ASD and brain damage (with secondary neuropsychiatric symptoms). I think it is a good thing to try and get out on occasions where you feel up to it. It is all about balance really. The benefits of getting out and about can outweigh the detriments of not going out. However, I always choose times/places of low foot fall/noise/stimulation etc so sensory overload is avoided or kept to a minimum/manageable. I would try if possible to plan your trips out in advance with those things in mind. It is more difficult to do during school holidays because of the number of people around and the noise of kids enjoying their time off school, but it is possible - it just takes extra planning.

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

That's great advice @AKR. Try not avoid social situations and gradually build yourself up. The summer holidays are over soon so the children won't be taking over everything!

• luvpink
    luvpink Community member Posts: 215 Empowering

• luvpink
    luvpink Community member Posts: 215 Empowering

I don't have ASD but I do have extreme anxiety and panic attacks.

I live in a busy tourist area and I really struggle with the thousands of tourist who come here on holiday.

Its so overwhelming trying to go about my daily life when the narrow streets are ram packed with people.

I tend to avoid it as much as I can and I can't enjoy the beautiful place I live in with that many people here, the traffic is awful, out supermarket shelves get emptied and a lot of the time even the cash machines are empty and we have no banks.

The beaches are ram packed too.

Its just awful when its like that but hopefully things may quieten down once the season is over and the kids return to school.

Maybe then, weather permitting I may be able to get out for some fresh area.

I feel so trapped in my home at busy times.

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,838 Championing

Hi and yes!

Last night's strong wind in a busy environment would be too much for me and I would have to leave. I walk and cycle a lot to avoid noisy people on buses and don't mind the wind as long as my ears are covered.

When I last worked, I'd come home and just sit and cry from exhaustion and the relief of getting through that day.

ASD can be unpredictable - however well you know yourself - and feeling overwhelmed when you didn't expect to can lead to all sorts of doubts about yourself. Can I trust myself to do this again? I've learned that I can and must but it's taken a lot of practice.

I hope you feel better today and how lucky you are to live near a beach! ⛱️

• DmRitchie
    DmRitchie Community member Posts: 38 Connected

It very much sounds like sensory overload. Which if I subject myself to it to often leads to Autistic burnout. Tell your partner what your feeling, so they can learn to recognise it in you (my partner is very good at that now). Sometimes it's not possible at the time so try to discuss it when you are settled. I find that noise cancelling headphones can help (assuming I remember to take them with me).

• DJS7P
    DJS7P Community member Posts: 27 Contributor

Thanks for everyone's replies :) @Rachel_Scope I've never really had any kind of support structure in place after my diagnosis. The clinic where I was assessed had limited financial resources. I've just had to deal with it as best I could.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,910 Online Community Coordinator

Heya @DJS7P it's very difficult when you're neurodivergent and get sensory issues. I often find large crowds to be too much for me these days unless it's dark.
    There seems to be a total lack of support once you get your ASD diagnosis, so I can empathise with you. I tend to just watch lots of youtube vids on ASD and plan things very carefully.