Supported living — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Supported living

scott Member Posts: 3
We have a son who has learning difficuties and is 32, we are trying to build an extention on our existing garage to accommadate him so he can be more independant but we can oversee him, however the council are not being helpful at all as we live in an area of outstanding natural beauty but from the front of the building you would only see a small extention of a front door and loo with the main area around the back of the property as we have no neighbours nobody will actually see our main extention. Are there any organisations who could help us in trying to gain planning permission for assisted living or help us in our statement wording as to the reason we would like this building for our son.

Regards Jane


  • Heather
    Heather Member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi Jane
    We are currently converting our garage for the same reasons, but it has taken 3 1/2 years to get through all the red tape and objections. Mainly parish councils and "Dickens" preservation society.....I can assure you,l Charles Dickens did not live in our house! 1970s build!!! But the frustration mounted and we employed a management company to handle the proceedure and they specialised in disablity builds in Kent. Shouting disability compliant was our biggest weapon. Good luck! Be worth it in the end...everyone tells me!
  • JimJams
    JimJams Member Posts: 174 Connected
    I would get your local councillor involved and if you get no where start going up the chain of command and dont give in, the red tape can be cut through just make sure you shout very loudly at anyone who you can get and they will soon want rid of you, good luck
  • scott
    scott Member Posts: 3
    Hi Heather

    Could you let me know the management company that you used in kent that specialise in disability builds so I can contact them if need be.

    Thanks Scott
  • Heather
    Heather Member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi Scott
    As I dig my way through all the rubble!!! lol. The company over seeing all the grief is: The Hyde Group / In Touch....they have various groups spread around and provide care and support services at all levels from handy men to do odd jobs to major re-builds. All companys and employees are vetted and insured etc te head office: 01273 766050. My local group have been out weekly to check on builders, oversee any amendments or concerns. But the guys building have been so good with my son, working around his tolerance levels and making the environment safe for him :- ) 10 out of 10.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.