Son's ESA stopped — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son's ESA stopped

treemoth
treemoth Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My son's ESA has been stopped because he failed to turn up for an assessment an did not fill the form in to eplain why. Does anyone know the criteria for being reconsidered for ESA in these circumstances.

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @treemoth, welcome to the community. I've moved your post to our benefits advisor page as they may be able to advise you.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Treemoth,

I've answered your query elsewhere (it came up on someone else's post), but just to give the advice again:

• it's worth asking for a mandatory reconsideration of the decision to stop ESA. Explain why your son didn't attend and didn't fill in the form to say why, and state if any confusion was due to his disability - insist on a mandatory reconsideration notice even if the DWP say (on the phone for example) that the decision is unlikely to be changed;
    • if there are mental health problems involved, let us know, because the DWP are supposed to use safeguarding procedures - we can explain these if they are relevant;
    • complain if you think the whole procedure isn't working, especially if this is because of your son's condition - maybe DWP communications aren't accessible to your son. That could be disability discrimination;
    • meanwhile, your son can claim ESA again (he'll need to supply medical certificates), but he won't get ESA until he has his medical, unless he's got worse, has a new condition or it's more than six months since the decision to stop his ESA.
    I hope that helps. Do challenge the decision; it's often hard for people to understand what they are supposed to do.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.