What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Financial support, private sector

kimberlywalshkimberlywalsh Member Posts: 11 Listener
does anyone know how much financial support my son would get from social security if he rented privately? He is long term unemployed!!! Has Aspergers Syndrome!


  • SerapheniaSeraphenia Member Posts: 6 Listener
    If he is in receipt of PIP and EESA he should get his full rent paid the best way to find out is to actually give the Job Center a call they will point him in the right direction. They are very helpful when you need information on what benefits you can get depending on your circumstances.
  • kimberlywalshkimberlywalsh Member Posts: 11 Listener
    He receives Disability Living Allowance, lower scale, does that still count? Thankyou, will give them a call! Will help solve a lot of problems if that is the case!
  • Chris_AlumniChris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 695 Pioneering
    Hi @kimberlywalsh, I've moved your query to our benefits advisors' category as they may be able to help. 

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi kimberleywalsh,

    When renting in the private sector there are two things to consider (1) what is the maximum benefit available (this does not always cover the rent in full) and (2) is the maximum entitlement reduced by anything - i.e. income/capital.

    (1) what the maximum benefit available is, will depend on a number of factors - your son's age, where he lives, benefit cap (if applicable), whether he is in a Universal Credit area, etc. Assuming he is not in a UC area, he can find out the rate of 'Local Housing Allowance', which is the maximum benefit available, on direct.gov follow this link:-


    If he is under 35 years, he may well be subject to the 'shared room rate' even if he is not sharing, this applies unless he receives high rate care DLA.

    (2) if he only receives income based ESA/DLA and has capital of less than £6k then he should receive the full 'allowance' whatever that may be in his area.

    If there is a shortfall between the allowance and his actual rental liability, he can apply to the local authority for a 'Discretionary Housing Payment'. However he will have to make a good case as to what exceptional reasons he has for needing the higher rent, as the schemes are notoriously hit and miss.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • kimberlywalshkimberlywalsh Member Posts: 11 Listener
    Thankyou Mary, will have to find out what our local housing allowance is, he is 29, only receives lower scale DLA and job seekers allowance! Have previously spoken to Housing Officer who said our only other option is to give him 28 days notice to leave, putting him higher up the ladder for housing and hoping local Authority care will kick in!!! The stress of all this is too much sometimes! He has been unemployed since leaving college at 17, can you believe!! 
Sign in or join us to comment.