benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Hudo53 Member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I think I have to give up work to look after my husband.  We get the attendance allowance as he is 68.   I have not claimed for anything else.   My husband has just become a Above the knee amputee.  He has COPD, plus high blood pressure and cholesterol plus a hernia.   We own our home but have an outstanding mortgage.   Can you let me know what benefits I can claim as the online ones I have tried to fill in are really confusing me.


  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    [email protected], As your husband is 68 he is on the correct benefit but we need to know whether you're above or below retirement age. If you're over 60 you can apply for pension credits when you give up work which takes your joint income, not including non means tested benefit i.e. AA and tops it up to a figure the gov. have decided you need to live off. Have you ever applied for Care's Allowance? If not you can apply and depending on your own income either be paid the present rate or get the underlying entitlement to it, which means you don't get the actual money but you can get other things reduced like Council Tax. I'm not sure about money off mortgages? A benefit advisor should be along shortly to give you more advice or you can ring the Scope Helpline...
  • Hudo53
    Hudo53 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi, no I am 63 and not due pension until July 2018.  So if I give up work I am not sure what I will get.   
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    [email protected], Pension credit used to be over 60's but they're bringing it in line with retirement age and it's a bit confusing. I think you should be eligible as one of you as a couple is over 65. Suggest you ring the Pension Credit help line on: 0800 99 1234 or ring  Age concern or CAB for more overall advice on what you can apply for. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @Hudo53

    As your husband is over Pension Credit age then in principle you are entitled to claim Pension Credit (joint claim with your husband as main claimant).

    Pension Credit is an income-based benefit which is reduced by any other income you may have (e.g. any pensions, any rental income, etc) as well as by capital over £10k. If you have no other income/capital then the couple rate is £243.25/week.

    As your husband is claiming Attendance Allowance, if your earned income after deductions is under £116/week, you are entitled to claim Carer's Allowance for looking after him. This is not an income-based benefit, and can therefore be claimed no matter what pensions income your husband may have (or capital). The rate is £62.70/week.

    If you claim Pension Credit, then you should claim Carers Allowance as well. Your Carer's Allowance will be deducted from the Pension Credit, however the overall rate of Pension Credit will be increased by a 'carer's premium' of £32.35.

    You may also be entitled to 'Support with Mortgage Interest' as part of the Pension Credit claim, which is a contribution the DWP make to the interest part of your mortgage (dependent on a variety of factors) as well as Council Tax Reduction, which can be claimed from your local council, and may reduce your Council Tax bill considerably.

    Hope this helps!

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.