Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

No payslips/holiday pay.

BappBapp Member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm a carer receiving 14hrs direct payment per wk in a private home.  I realise I am below the tax/ni threshold. Does my employer have to register with hmrc? I have received no pay slips or holiday pay!


  • GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,373 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bapp and welcome to the community.

    You are entitled to a payslip, this does not have to be a hard copy, many employers now make these available online on the company intranet or website. If it is an electronic copy you should have been given logon details to access your payslips. This is your proof of income.

    Not sure how long you have worked there for, but you should also get a P60 each year.

    You should also be entitled to four weeks holiday pay. This will be pro rata so if, for example, you work 7 hours a day for two days a week  you will get 8 days paid holiday, and not 20 days a full time worker would get.

    You should have gotten a written statement outlining the terms of your employment within two months of starting. This will include the pay, holiday pay, sickness etc. This could have been sent to you via email.

    If you are not getting these then either the job is 'cash in hand' which would be illegal and in effect have no rights, or they consider you as a freelance worker, which can affect your rights.

    You need to be clear on your status as a worker. Temporary, employee, freelance worker or cash in hand. I have dismissed the notion you might be an agency worker as you mentioned direct payments which I assume means the home pays you in cash on a regular basis - not the same as 'cash in hand' which means you are working illegally and usually claiming full benefits.

    Can I ask if you are at least getting the minimum wage for your age group? This is lower for younger people.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger

    Did your employer give you a letter of appointment with terms and conditions?  Or do they assume that you are working on an informal, cash-in-hand basis?  Or do they think that you are self-employed?

    If you are not sure about your employment status, I suggest that you go to the CAB for advice.  
  • dogfatherdogfather Member Posts: 61 Connected
    Another good reference point is the ACAS website. They have lots of useful info on terms & conditions of employment & holiday pay
Sign in or join us to comment.