Disability Parking — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disability Parking


Can anyone assist - I am DISABLED with a spinal condition and have difficulty walking any distance and I am in constant pain.  I have asked my employer to provide me with parking.  But a) they are legally obliged to according to their Health and Welfare team and b) as they rent the office space as a business they do not have any disabled parking spaces allocated.  I am not in a position to use our local council parking as they are too far from work.

Can anyone advise where I stand  (no pun intended)

Thanks in advance


  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    They are legally required to make reasonable adjustments to the workplace. They could cone one off for you but if they refuse what would you do?

    It might threaten your employment if you were to "go legal" on them to force them to comply.
  • cookiecc67
    cookiecc67 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    If they have allocated parking spaces from the landlord it would almost certainly be seen as unreasonable under the EA not to provide you with one of those spaces. If they have no say over parking they should speak to the Landlord on your behalf. Both they and the landlord have duties under the act and failure to provide you with a space could see them both in breach of the EA.

    If you are in a Union you could speak to them or if not ACAS.

    Never be afraid to assert your legal rights as dismissing because you have done so is unfair and any business doing so to a disabled person would not enjoy the possible publicity.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Leesie do you claim any benefits? Could you get a blue badge?
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.