Council tax reduction — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Council tax reduction

Anyone any experience of losing disabled reduction to council tax in the family home if disabled person becomes a student an lives away from home? Our son must come home here each Uni holiday, and his GP and so on are still here. We'd like to downsize but can't as he needs a wheelchair accessible house in the holidays (about 14 weeks of the year) and so now we face an increase of £100s in council tax, plus we've lost carers allowance (can at least claim that in the holidays if eligible) and he cannot claim housing benefit where he is a student cos of the appalling Universal Credit rules on students... (if he was studying in another location he may well get HB as he gets ESA and meets the other criteria...)


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Debbie_Scope, any suggestions for the above? Thank you in advance!
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi @forgoodnesssake,

    I'm happy to look into this for you. Which local authority do you pay your Council Tax to?  I'd like to know more because you've mentioned Universal Credit and this is causing lots of confusion. This is however quite complex so it might be better if you get in touch with me at the helpline. In the meantime though, if I could just find out who you pay your Council Tax to, I can do a little bit of research for you and hopefully help you work out these very complex issues.

    Hope to hear back from you soon.

    Best wishes


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.