Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I get a wet room in my rented house?

scouse1963scouse1963 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I claim eesa, I want to know how I can have a wet room fitted in my rented property
I have had trouble climbing into the bath to shower,
Any advice how to claim would be appreciated. 


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scouse1963, welcome to the community! Hopefully our OT advisor will be in touch soon with some further information for you. 
  • Jean_OTJean_OT Member Posts: 528 Pioneering

    Hi @scouse1963

    Sorry for the delay in responding, I’ve been away from the office for a few days.

    In order to have a wet-room fitted into a rented house you will need:

    1. The permission of your Landlord to adapt the property.

    2. The premises to be suitable for adaptation

    3. A means of funding the adaptations. For disabled adults unable to fund the adaptations themselves this normally means applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG), there is information about this on the Scope website: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/disabled-facilities-grant


    The first step will be for you to contact the Adult Social Care Team at your Council and ask them to arrange for their Occupational Therapist (OT) to visit your home to assess your needs and the house.

    The OT might agree that a wet-room it is necessary and possible, and if your landlord gives permission, a DFG may be applied for. However, the OT might also suggest other alternatives to a wet-room that may assist with your bathing but in their opinion be more appropriate.


    Best Wishes



    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Sign in or join us to comment.