Refused mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused mandatory reconsideration

Options
tina1888
tina1888 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
So I got 15 points for the care side of pip and 8 for the mobility. I sent in mandatory reconsideration and they refused.
I suffer with depression I have done for years this makes going out of my house impossible. 
My Husband wrote them a letter describing episodes that I have suicide attempts at but they still said no. 
They awarded me 4 points saying I need help and reasurrance planning a journey. What a lot of nonsense.
I realise I could appeal but I just can't go through it. I hate myself for giving in but I just don't have it in me. 
Since I got the decision I've been sleeping not been able to get out of my bed crying when I've been awake I've not ate much and this is affecting my diabetes. I just feel awful.
These people play games with people's lives. It's just such a cruel system.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this, @tina1888. It sounds like things have been really difficult for you.

It's absolutely your decision whether or not to go to tribunal, and it sounds like you've had a good think about this. If you did decide to appeal, there are lots of resources and support out there to help you, but if you don't, that's your decision. I'm truly sorry to hear about the impact the process has had on you- you mentioned mental health issues, do you have any support in place at the moment?
  • tina1888
    tina1888 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
    Thank u Pippa.  My Husband is with me most of the time to help. I find that when I go to the Dr they just can't get their head around how scared I am to go outside etc.  I suppose if it's something people have not experienced then ...i have a fear of people due to historic child abuse and violent abuse that carried on into my 20s. So I get help from my husband but not much from Drs.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That must be really difficult, @tina1888. I'm really glad you have the support of your husband. I wonder if you've considered seeing an alternative GP about potential mental health support? I can only speak from the position of somebody with a chronic illness, but sometimes seeing somebody new who can look at your situation, with fresh eyes, can make a huge difference!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do sympathise with you. It sounds to me that you are in part experiencing PTSD. Mental health services in this country have gone down the drain. It wasn't so many years ago that they had specially built day centres attached to hospitals that catered for these types of difficulties in the community. 
    It is so difficult trying to convince people including doctors and the DWP of how it is affecting you. You can only do as much as you can cope with.
    When I did my first PIP claim (transfer from DLA) in 2013 I set out as much information as I could and sent in reports. ATOS decided after the face to face assessment that I was telling a load of porkies and had even hoodwinked my GP as well as psychiatrists and psychologists. They gave me 14 or so one line explanations why their opinion was that there was nothing wrong with me.
    So I gave up trying to prove the unprovable.

You like me  have only done to add to the DWP statistics that if you haven't gone to a Tribunal then the DWP's decision was the right one! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.